Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Because it is fun.
In a somewhat humorous or possibly how did I wake up in Bizzaro Earth anecdote, I’ve had people walking behind my MME while I was backing up and beeping, then get angry that it was beeping and refuse to move. I was famous at the local grocery store for an entire day once because while backing out of a handicapped spot a lady blocked the car and started yelling that the beeping hurt her ears and I needed to stop it. If I could’ve turned it louder I would have. She was also angry that I put Mustang emblems on my Tesla so … :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, the sounds the car makes are designed to garner attention from the visually impaired. It’s a reason things are slowly moving towards a unified type of sound for the low speed noise or a limited number of sound options.
Sponsored

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I'm working on a way to stop my turn signal from blinking on and off. More to follow.
I’m pretty sure there’s a switch to do that. It’s someplace near the steering wheel as I recall. It’s optional equipment in Florida.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Reasonable arguments. But you know, the backup noise on my car isn't even the slightest irritating. It is calming, pleasing and relaxing. I can hear the crinkle of pebbles under my tires as I back out of my driveway, and the slight breeze rustling the leaves in the trees, and the chirp of happy birds in the distance. Ahhh....
It’s not what YOU can hear. It’s what OTHERS can hear, such as people with vision impairments, cyclists, children, and so on. Sigh….

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
It’s not what YOU can hear. It’s what OTHERS can hear, such as people with vision impairments, cyclists, children, and so on. Sigh….
Are you going to put a yellow flashing light on top of your car?

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In a somewhat humorous or possibly how did I wake up in Bizzaro Earth anecdote, I’ve had people walking behind my MME while I was backing up and beeping, then get angry that it was beeping and refuse to move. I was famous at the local grocery store for an entire day once because while backing out of a handicapped spot a lady blocked the car and started yelling that the beeping hurt her ears and I needed to stop it. If I could’ve turned it louder I would have. She was also angry that I put Mustang emblems on my Tesla so … :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, the sounds the car makes are designed to garner attention from the visually impaired. It’s a reason things are slowly moving towards a unified type of sound for the low speed noise or a limited number of sound options.
Actually, when every car is making obnoxious noises and you hear beeps from every direction, will the average person tune it out? And will anyone really be safer? I think not.

And I love my little volume control. Yes I turn it up when I drop it off at the dealer, but that is because I don't know anything about them and what they will do in my car. I might even put a flashing yellow light on the roof the next time I drop it off at the dealership. 😆

mburtsvt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just 1 Rapid Red Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Good points. However, the NHTSA definitely does NOT have authority over me.
Correct...but your car and software - they kind of do. Your best defense would be to stay off of any state or federal funded road way and you will be fine.

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
Actually, when every car is making obnoxious noises and you hear beeps from every direction, will the average person tune it out? And will anyone really be safer? I think not.

And I love my little volume control. Yes I turn it up when I drop it off at the dealer, but that is because I don't know anything about them and what they will do in my car. I might even put a flashing yellow light on the roof the next time I drop it off at the dealership. 😆
Hmmm. I've complained for decades that vehicles do NOT need to honk when locked using a key fob, i.e. transponder. At some point people need to trust the technology of a radio signal to lock their car without alerting everyone else within earshot. Now, people who did not complain about a locking honk are complaining about a much lower volume SAFETY feature.
I've also always thought "let sleeping babies lie" so I applaud an option to ensure they can.

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hmmm. I've complained for decades that vehicles do NOT need to honk when locked using a key fob, i.e. transponder. At some point people need to trust the technology of a radio signal to lock their car without alerting everyone else within earshot. Now, people who did not complain about a locking honk are complaining about a much lower volume SAFETY feature.
I've also always thought "let sleeping babies lie" so I applaud an option to ensure they can.
Oh, no. I don't like the lock honk either. I am consistently anti noise pollution.

I turned lock honk off. Which is why I did the mirror mod to help me see if the car is actually locked.

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
It’s amazing to me how many people are scared of liability of the hypothetical situation of running someone over while in reverse, just because of the beeper being silent. I hate to break this to you… if you run someone over you are liable. Regardless of whether your beeper is functioning at the time. It’s your responsibility as a driver to make sure you don’t run people over (!!).

Also, NHTSA is for vehicles as they leave the OEM, or as imported into the country. NHTSA doesn’t have any ability to enforce on a person. That’s up to the police and they enforce state laws, not NHTSA rules or regulations. See motor vehicle titling and registration for the cliff notes explanation of what NHTSA is not responsible for (ie you and me).

https://www.nhtsa.gov/importing-vehicle/importation-and-certification-faqs-8

DR.J56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-350. 2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Actually when I drop it off at the dealer I turn the volume back up. Not because I am worried they will say something, but because I think it is less likely they will damage my car by hitting something (or someone) they didn't see.
This is funny because the older I get the lower the radio volume needs to be so I can see to back up.

OP
OP
mkhuffman

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It’s amazing to me how many people are scared of liability of the hypothetical situation of running someone over while in reverse, just because of the beeper being silent. I hate to break this to you… if you run someone over you are liable. Regardless of whether your beeper is functioning at the time. It’s your responsibility as a driver to make sure you don’t run people over (!!).

Also, NHTSA is for vehicles as they leave the OEM, or as imported into the country. NHTSA doesn’t have any ability to enforce on a person. That’s up to the police and they enforce state laws, not NHTSA rules or regulations. See motor vehicle titling and registration for the cliff notes explanation of what NHTSA is not responsible for (ie you and me).

https://www.nhtsa.gov/importing-vehicle/importation-and-certification-faqs-8
^^^^ 100% this. Personal responsibility doesn't go away because your car is a loud obnoxious noise polluter.

I like to listen to loud music so I will roll my windows down so people can hear me coming. Everyone loves the loud music I listen to, and they will greatly appreciate how much safer they are because they can hear me and my car. And then I won't have to worry about hitting anyone. Win win!

ZoNiE

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Rav4 EV, 2021 Mach E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
LOL. On the Toyota Rav4EV, people just unplug the speaker under the hood. Kills the safety feature, but that's what some did.

Auto Motive

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mustang mach e GT performance
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It took me forever to finish this modification because of other things happening in my life, and I didn’t want to report on an incomplete project. I had a few mistakes and problems along the way, but now that it is done it is great!

Using the volume control I installed, I can either turn the backup beeper (and that stupid fake engine sound) all the way down so the car is completely silent, or turn it up so it is easily heard. Because I am using a potentiometer in parallel with the speaker, the volume of the beeper is quieter than stock at full volume - about a third quieter I think. But it is still easily heard in parking lots and on streets.

The hardest part of this project was probably running the wires from the speaker to the cabin. I had to remove the frunk and get under the car to properly route and secure the wires. And then punch through a grommet in the firewall to send the wires into the cabin.

The second hardest part was placing the location of the speaker volume control. The first location I picked would not allow the panel to seat all the way because the potentiometer was interfering. I had to move it about ¾ of an inch to get it to fit into a gap behind the panel, and then the panel would seat all the way. So now I have an unused hole in the panel. Luckily the potentiometer came with a plastic bezel that covers up the mistake. Whew.

OK, first the schematic:
52052503011_c602cc4530_o.jpg

By looking at the way it is wired, you can see the potentiometer cuts off the speaker when fully turned down. When turned up, the potentiometer is in parallel with the speaker. Since the speaker is 4-6 ohms (I think) more of the current flows through the speaker but it is still lower than stock since some is flowing through the 8 ohm potentiometer.

I purchased two mating connectors to allow me to connect wires into the car, and I ran the car signal to the cabin and then back to the speaker. Here is my chicken scratch drawing that hopefully clarifies what I did:
52606003265_6f7ca972cc_o.jpg

Here is a picture of the wire connections at the speaker:
1672795395429.png

Here is a picture of wires routed by the frunk and how I secured them with tie wraps (yes I cut off the tails):
51981795067_79fb30502c_o.jpg

This picture shows exactly where you need to put the potentiometer to prevent interference. You can see that to the left of the pot there is no room, which is where I put it initially of course.
52325650612_db6117d645_o.jpg

This picture shows the final location for the potentiometer and the hole I made in the wrong location:
52590348301_dc6b76f695_o.jpg

I painted the potentiometer bezel because I didn’t like the chrome lettering.
Before:
52589862952_e00c13d0f2_o.jpg

After:
52590776070_720202e07b_o.jpg

Here is a picture of the final installation, and I think it looks stock to the untrained and uneducated. Which is most of the general public. 😂
52590776710_b47389bc40_o.jpg

The potentiometer I used:
Pot.jpg

The knob that came with the potentiometer is super ugly, so I tried to find one that looked similar to those already used in the car and came up with this:
Knob.jpg

Here are the connectors.
Connectors.jpg

If you want to try this, and you have any questions, let me know! Happy moding!

P.S. And just to clarify, I always want to be quiet. But just in case I feel the irritating noise is needed, it is an easy flick of the knob...
Any way I can make it louder. Parking lots, kids playing, air planes flying over, wife yelling, seniors with hearing aids, pets off leases and me trying to being safe backing out?