Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E - FE Carbonized Grey
Occupation
Risk Manager
Country flag
Thanks for that. I'm still struggling to see what the FordPass network really gives you. It seems to be a payment agregator, so you can use one app (or Plug & Charge) at participating charging stations. Is that it? Does it give you member pricing at EA stations? Is it required for some of the "route with charging" Nav options? None of this matters all that much while it's free, but if they expect us to start paying for it, I certainly expect it to do more.
Here is a simpler listing...basically plug and play access without using a credit card or phone.

KEY FEATURES
Ford Mustang Mach-E I just received my Mach-E First Edition (in California)! {filename}

A SINGLE, UNIFIED NETWORK
Our network combines multiple public charging networks, giving you hassle-free pay-as-you-go access to more than 13,500 public charging stations, all through one account and one app. And access is complimentary for two years.
Ford Mustang Mach-E I just received my Mach-E First Edition (in California)! {filename}

ELECTRIFY AMERICA FAST CHARGING
Electrify America is one of the many networks that make up the FordPass Charging Network. Enjoy a complimentary 250 kWh of charging with Electrify America courtesy of FordPass Rewards, then pay as you go after that.

EFFORTLESS PLUG & CHARGE
Automatically activate charging by simply plugging into a participating public charging station – eliminating the need to use smartphones or credit cards.

CONVENIENT ACTIVATION THROUGH FORDPASS
Use the FordPass app to effortlessly locate, navigate to, activate and monitor charging at stations in the FordPass Charging Network
Sponsored

Fat Mach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 GT350
Country flag
Here's a list of the participating networks. We have ChargePoint at my office, if I ever go back there. It sounds like I'd be able to simply plug the car in and it'll recognize it, and me. Does that sound correct?

What Charge Stations can I Charge At?
Here are some of the charging providers you’ll find in the FordPass Charging Network via roaming† in the US and Canada:
  • Greenlots
  • Electrify America
  • EV Connect
  • ChargePoint
  • SemaCharge
  • FLO
  • EVgo

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Here is a simpler listing...basically plug and play access without using a credit card or phone.
Thanks again. All of that sounds fine for free. But who's going to pay a subscription charge for that? It's not like it gives you access to charging stations that you wouldn't have access to anyway. It doesn't say if it will give you member pricing on EA. If it doesn't, a lot people will bypass it to get the better pricing direct from EA even before their free trial expires.

OP
OP
CaGuy

CaGuy

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E - FE Carbonized Grey
Occupation
Risk Manager
Country flag
Thanks again. All of that sounds fine for free. But who's going to pay a subscription charge for that? It's not like it gives you access to charging stations that you wouldn't have access to anyway. It doesn't say if it will give you member pricing on EA. If it doesn't, a lot people will bypass it to get the better pricing direct from EA even before their free trial expires.
Agreed. My guess is they are betting to have better services to offer in 2 years to make it more worthwhile. For now, free was enough for me to try it.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Here's a list of the participating networks. We have ChargePoint at my office, if I ever go back there. It sounds like I'd be able to simply plug the car in and it'll recognize it, and me. Does that sound correct?

What Charge Stations can I Charge At?
Here are some of the charging providers you’ll find in the FordPass Charging Network via roaming† in the US and Canada:
  • Greenlots
  • Electrify America
  • EV Connect
  • ChargePoint
  • SemaCharge
  • FLO
  • EVgo
Electrify America is the only provider that currently supports plug&charge in the US, as far as I'm aware.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Electrify America is the only provider that currently supports plug&charge in the US, as far as I'm aware.
I believe that's true. Ford has also said that the free 250kWh is on EA stations. But the T&Cs say:

i. 2021 and later model year EVs, will have access to a complimentary FordPass Charging Bundle of 250 kWh which can be used at select Charging Network Stations within the Charging Network.

I wonder how you're supposed to figure out which stations are "select".

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
Yeah, unless the other networks charge subscription/membership fees. There is something to be said about a single app. I already have 6 apps installed for the different networks. and some require some prepaid deposit, so that gets to be a pain... and I don't yet have an EV! :)

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, unless the other networks charge subscription/membership fees. There is something to be said about a single app. I already have 6 apps installed for the different networks. and some require some prepaid deposit, so that gets to be a pain... and I don't yet have an EV! :)
Yeah, I'm all for consolidating them all into a single app with one payment account. But since I won't use most of them very often, I don't think I'll be willing to pay for the privilege.

back_at_it_19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Job 1 GB FE and '22 Red Prem4x
Country flag
Agreed. My guess is they are betting to have better services to offer in 2 years to make it more worthwhile. For now, free was enough for me to try it.
Does EA or other subscription options offer plug and charge without the FordPass app. Is that the only benefit? I have zero patience anymore with apps not ready quite yet I guess.

B Gray

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Fusion. Pre Mach-E Carb Gray
Country flag
I believe that's true. Ford has also said that the free 250kWh is on EA stations. But the T&Cs say:

i. 2021 and later model year EVs, will have access to a complimentary FordPass Charging Bundle of 250 kWh which can be used at select Charging Network Stations within the Charging Network.

I wonder how you're supposed to figure out which stations are "select".
61 Miles of Range in 10 Minutes with a 150kW DC Fast Charger
Show Less
Through the FordPass™ App, you will be able to find public chargers within our network that can add an estimated average of 61 miles of range in approximately 10 minutes on the Mustang Mach-E with an extended-range battery and rear-wheel drive. You also have the ability to go from a 10% to 80% charge in 45 minutes.
You won’t need to pay or sign up for multiple charge networks. Ford gives you two years of complimentary access to the FordPass Charging Network for easy pay-as-you-drive charging

Lets us hope this is the case

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

KEY FEATURES

A SINGLE, UNIFIED NETWORK
Our network combines multiple public charging networks, giving you hassle-free pay-as-you-go access to more than 13,500 public charging stations, all through one account and one app. And access is complimentary for two years.

ELECTRIFY AMERICA FAST CHARGING
Electrify America is one of the many networks that make up the FordPass Charging Network. Enjoy a complimentary 250 kWh of charging with Electrify America courtesy of FordPass Rewards, then pay as you go after that.

EFFORTLESS PLUG & CHARGE
Automatically activate charging by simply plugging into a participating public charging station – eliminating the need to use smartphones or credit cards.

CONVENIENT ACTIVATION THROUGH FORDPASS
Use the FordPass app to effortlessly locate, navigate to, activate and monitor charging at stations in the FordPass Charging Network
So, just to be clear, does the FordPass provide member rates at EA stations or just the much higher non-member rates?

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
PaaK issues are the car does not always recognize the phone as a key. One time it wouldn't let me enter the vehicle, one time after I opened the vehicle it didn't recognize the phone as a key and would not let me start the vehicle. When that happens and I open up the Ford app, its clearly not connected.
Do you have the key FOB with you when you have phone connectivity issues? If the FOB and phone are both present, the FOB with have priority, FYI.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Do you have the key FOB with you when you have phone connectivity issues? If the FOB and phone are both present, the FOB with have priority, FYI.
Well, if the FOB had priority and was present, it wouldn't say that the key was not present, so I don't see how that could be the issue.
Sponsored