machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I'm not a fan of front plates either, but it's really looking like they install the frame at the factory. The simplest solution is a set of bumper plugs.

https://bumperplugs.com/ford/bumperplugs-for-ford
It looks 50/50 some have it some don't, not sure. If mine comes with I will leave it, if it's not then the sto-n-go will be my route when they release it.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
OK, so I need to vent. There is absolutely zero effort put into that listing, or anything else on the accessories or parts sites. Is that thing collapsable? How big is it? What's that clip on the front for (can 2 be latched together for stability)?

The extent of Ford's effort is:
Description: "Ford Parts are the only parts designed and built to the specific standards of Ford Motor Company and are the only parts recommended for use in your Ford or Lincoln vehicle."

Specifications: "Package Quantity: 1. Weight: Product weight is unavailable. Please contact your dealer for further assistance Dimensions: Product dimensions are unavailable. Please contact your dealer for further assistance"

WTF? I guarantee my dealer won't have a fricking clue

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Minor - I have never heard of a car that does not come with two key fobs?
- That license plate holder needs to not be put on....not sure how to stop them from doing that...
Well, we both have now. I'll be asking my dealer to order another one for me and program it (presuming we can't do that ourselves).

As has been pointed out, it would appear that, unfortunately, the front plate bracket is factory installed for states requiring one. I'll just leave it alone. If we see it's not preinstalled I'll ask the dealer to not do so and get something else.

OK, so I need to vent. There is absolutely zero effort put into that listing, or anything else on the accessories or parts sites. Is that thing collapsable? How big is it? What's that clip on the front for (can 2 be latched together for stability)?

Description: "Ford Parts are the only parts designed and built to the specific standards of Ford Motor Company and are the only parts recommended for use in your Ford or Lincoln vehicle."

Specifications: "Package Quantity: 1. Weight: Product weight is unavailable. Please contact your dealer for further assistance Dimensions: Product dimensions are unavailable. Please contact your dealer for further assistance"

I actually ordered one. Hasn't arrived yet -- which also matches the status of the car. :p

Do you want the measurements in a real measuring system or in inches and ounces-pounds? ;)

NotSoJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV, Mustang Mach-E reservation holder
Country flag
It's very early days, and I think the design and functionality are good, but it doesn't perform 100% accurate all the time. The connection isn't perfect, which it needs to be to be used as a key. For example, one time I tried to open my car with the key and the alarm went off and wouldn't connect. In other words, it still has some kinks to be worked out. No doubt there will be updates to fix this, but it clearly is V1.0 that will need some tinkering.
Very concerning about the phone as key connection. If I'm in a parking lot, with the alarm going off and no key connection, I might just leave the car and walk home. Do we know if ford gets feedback in real time or do we have to report bugs? I agree that needs tinkering, or at the very least giving people another fob until they sort it out. Who cares how nice the car is if 10% of the time you're stuck waiting for a connection with the alarm going off???

Also, I think we all need to agree that the frunk is novelty, like a bobblehead Darren Palmer on the dash. You don't need it to drive and many cars of the future won't even have it. If it was a serious differentiator, Ford wouldn't have introduced it to the world filled with 20 pounds of shrimp. Being disappointed by the lack of automation around the frunk is like being disappointed that you can't adjust the angle of the spoiler, IMHO. I'm okay with it being somewhat difficult to open because I'd rather not have it fly open while I'm driving because I accidentally pushed the button on the fob or my passenger activated it from the screen.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I quite understand the point. On our Jeep, however, the groceries roll around in the area behind the back seats. I'd rather not have to rebag when we get home. For most that's not an issue but we have about 18 miles of country road, much of it rather curvy, between us and the nearest grocery store.

Not a real game changer honestly. I could see the frunk being the transition area for the triathletes in training on the forum as well.
I set one of those nifty collapsable trunk organizers in the back of our Escape for that purpose.

81ebJqzfj7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Very concerning about the phone as key connection. If I'm in a parking lot, with the alarm going off and no key connection, I might just leave the car and walk home. Do we know if ford gets feedback in real time or do we have to report bugs? I agree that needs tinkering, or at the very least giving people another fob until they sort it out. Who cares how nice the car is if 10% of the time you're stuck waiting for a connection with the alarm going off???

Also, I think we all need to agree that the frunk is novelty, like a bobblehead Darren Palmer on the dash. You don't need it to drive and many cars of the future won't even have it. If it was a serious differentiator, Ford wouldn't have introduced it to the world filled with 20 pounds of shrimp. Being disappointed by the lack of automation around the frunk is like being disappointed that you can't adjust the angle of the spoiler, IMHO. I'm okay with it being somewhat difficult to open because I'd rather not have it fly open while I'm driving because I accidentally pushed the button on the fob or my passenger activated it from the screen.
The cool thing about the release being electronic is that it can be controlled by software that won't actually trigger the release if the car is not in park. As for how useful the trunk is, I'll accept that some people will use it and others won't. I have no idea if I will since I've never had one before, but I'm willing to reserve judgement. Since the space under the hood is empty anyway, I suspect that manufacturers will continue to make it available as a storage compartment to the subset of people who actually use it. Perhaps in future cars they'll reorganize the front components to give us the option of putting a spare there OR using it for storage?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I set one of those nifty collapsable trunk organizers in the back of our Escape for that purpose.

Ford Mustang Mach-E I just received my Mach-E First Edition (in California)! 81ebJqzfj7L._AC_SL1500_
What make is that and where'd you get it? Is it strong enough to hold heavy grocery bags in place? It looks like collapsed it would easily fit under the rear floor when the floor is in the upper position - how thick is it when collapsed?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What make is that and where'd you get it? Is it strong enough to hold heavy grocery bags in place? It looks like collapsed it would easily fit under the rear floor when the floor is in the upper position - how thick is it when collapsed?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0881LCNFH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon has lots of different ones (Walmart, Target, etc often carry some too if you want to see some in person). That one is sturdy. Has no problem holding fairly heavy stuff. Has a few velcro strips on the bottom to grip the carpet modestly so it doesn't slide around. Happy with it.

That one says 4.7" thick when folded. Might be a bit too thick for under the cargo floorboard, but not sure. Should have no problem in the frunk though, I would guess. I just leave it in the back all the time though, unless we need the full cargo area for something. Just pulls right out easily.

Last edited:

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The cool thing about the release being electronic is that it can be controlled by software that won't actually trigger the release if the car is not in park. As for how useful the trunk is, I'll accept that some people will use it and others won't. I have no idea if I will since I've never had one before, but I'm willing to reserve judgement. Since the space under the hood is empty anyway, I suspect that manufacturers will continue to make it available as a storage compartment to the subset of people who actually use it. Perhaps in future cars they'll reorganize the front components to give us the option of putting a spare there OR using it for storage?
Same for me. I think I will enjoy that space.....just not sure exactly how just yet.

Since we are all curious....
The Front Trunk Luggage Compartment (which is what Ford calls it) can be opened by the key fob. However, according to the owner's manual that feature isn't available yet. I wonder if we'll have to purchase a different design fob or if the existing fob buttons will actuate that latch with some secret combination?

The cable lock release requires two pulls to fully release. There is a self resetting ratchet mechanism so when the lever inside the cabin is returned to it's resting position the ratchet pawl grabs the next cam and one more pull will fully release.

The electrical actuator release consists of a single motor unit performing two consecutive release operations. That actuator can be activated via any of the following inputs: APIM (touch screen), Phone as a Key, Keyless entry keypad or RKE (key fob).

At speeds below 2 mph (3 km/h) both release pulses will be delivered by the module to release the primary and secondary latch positions. Speeds greater than 2 mph (3 km/h) the module will only deliver the power signal to release the primary latch.

The external battery jump port can provide 12v power through the GFM module to the release latch actuator when the on board 12v batter State-of-Charge (SOC) is less than an allowable threshold.

So, I presume this means those jumper wires won't function under normal battery conditions. This makes sense and means people just can't walk up to the car and get inside the front compartment just by applying 12v to those accessible wires.

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag

There's more info for the same part off the accessories site. There's even a video!

https://accessories.ford.com/compartment-asy-rear-stowage-11942.html#2021/Mustang Mach-E

Here's a listing for the large one:

https://accessories.ford.com/compartment-asy-rear-stowage-11943.html#2021/Mustang Mach-E

However, there's this interesting note for the large one,...
Vehicle DisclaimerNot For Use with BEV

RedStormREHS

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Camry Hybrid / Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Health Inspector
Country flag
So Cal... No "build date" yet in system but dealer has 2/28 for my Premium delivery. I have a 1/17 production week date.

I'd like to have a temp. spare tire/jack option for frunk or rear storage instead of all that added plastic junk weight... My 2 cents. Our So Cal roads are filled w/tire damaging crud!
Sponsored