I love my Mach E…But I am slightly disappointed with the tech.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
When I first purchased my MME The dealer has me thinking Ford was going to add all the little bells and whistles similar to Tesla… cool stuff like:

lane changing with blue cruise
Pull out of tight parking/garage using phone
Better PAAK
ETC

Do y’all know if Ford plans on developing/adding any of these things in future OTA updates or not? Is there a place to read about Ford future EV plans?
Sounds like you listened to, and believed, a salesman. Maybe some research would have set your expectations properly.
Sponsored

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Honestly Mach-E isn't lacking in tech and most of it is great. It's just lacking a bit of refinement - CarPlay doesn't always connect, PAAK not reliable, UI is a tad slow, 1PD is unpolished (blended braking needs work).
Totally agree. 10 years and billions of miles of user data is pretty helpful, Tesla has used it well.

PAAK is slow to pick up sometimes, but no worse than the Tesla was- at least with the Ford you can use the keypad. Android Auto/Carplay is clunky and obnoxious on every vehicle I've seen it in. The UI is Byzantine, but so is Tesla, and Porsche is downright impenetrable. There's very little in it I ever need to get to twice, anyway. I spent half an hour when I first got it going through and turning most stuff off, haven't looked back since.

Map is accurate enough, pedal on the right makes it go, that's just about all the tech I require or use.

GABAR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco
Country flag
When I first purchased my MME The dealer has me thinking Ford was going to add all the little bells and whistles similar to Tesla… cool stuff like:

Better PAAK
ETC

Do y’all know if Ford plans on developing/adding any of these things in future OTA updates or not? Is there a place to read about Ford future EV plans?
You have to remember something.
Tesla was and is a tech company first and an auto manufacturer second hence the reason Tesla vehicles have more advanced software and hardware in their vehicles compared to every other EV.

Ford and other brands are slowly catching up with the tech in Tesla vehicles just like Tesla is slowly catching up with the build quality of the majors.

Ford and the other established majors are ICE manufacturers fist and tech companies second.

In 5-10 years or so, it’s really not going to matter which EV one will purchase because the tech will be almost the same across all brands.

Thunderanger

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select, 2019 Ram 1500
Occupation
retired
Country flag
The fact that my Sirius XM channels get wiped out from time to time is VERY annoying. Plus drilling down through the various layers to find functions in Sync and Ford Pass is a pain and not very intuitive.

bp99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME eAWD, 21 MME CA Route 1 (sold)
Country flag
I have not checked, but is Tesla PaaK more reliable than all the other car company's PaaK? In my experience, one of the big problems with PaaK is our phones and the Bluetooth technology used. The phone has issues even when the car is doing everything it should.
I have near daily issues with PAAK. Sometimes just plain refuses to connect. Other times, less problematic such as waiting too long before I can open the door, no key messages while driving, or thinking my phone is in the car when I'm walking away and honking at me/unlocking the door. With my wife's Tesla, neither of us have ever had an issue. Bluetooth is the wrong technology (they need to switch to UWB), but Tesla has done a far better job of making it work.

Android Auto/Carplay is clunky and obnoxious on every vehicle I've seen it in. The UI is Byzantine
Android Auto/Car Play could use some refinement. However, it's something that uses what I already have -- a data plan and streaming apps of my choice. I don't want to pay for yet another data plan for a car when I have one in my pocket. I don't want a limited selection of navigation or music apps when I have plenty of options in my pocket. Tesla's nav at least has great integration with charging and preconditioning. Ford's navigation has no real benefit. Unfortunately, I think the car companies are all looking at data and streaming as future revenue streams.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
My sales guy said I could go under water like James Bond in the Lotus. I have not tested it yet, but someday.

Just adding some humor. I do not believe anything a salesman says. My salesman had a Mach E on order and was trading in his F150 Platinum for it........ I went by the dealer a few weeks later and saw him getting into his rusty, dented RAV 4 after his shift was over. "Options" was something no one did, its a terrible plan at a high interest rate, you want to do a conventional loan.....

Every wonder why every Best Buy sales employee has a better flat screen than you were shopping for.....

Best to do your own research ahead of time. Everything was out there when I bought my first in May of 21. Winter range reviews showing 110 miles in a Select and 160-170 in Premium ER, crappy PAAK complaints, Blue cruise was never intended to change lanes (even before it was available), the hyperwarp drive was a future download......

I would love a "summon" feature for those bad parking days.....

Last edited:

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Android Auto/Car Play could use some refinement. However, it's something that uses what I already have -- a data plan and streaming apps of my choice. I don't want to pay for yet another data plan for a car when I have one in my pocket. I don't want a limited selection of navigation or music apps when I have plenty of options in my pocket. Tesla's nav at least has great integration with charging and preconditioning. Ford's navigation has no real benefit. Unfortunately, I think the car companies are all looking at data and streaming as future revenue streams.
Totally on board with your thinking here. For me, though, it's meant learning a new ecosystem of apps - I only ever use music apps in the car, so don't have any libraries or anything built out that I can tap into. Spotify bewilders me, and outside Pandora (yeah, I'm old) I don't know that I could name any other music apps. I'm not used to operating in the Android Auto environment, and I fear change.

I hate having to plug my phone in to use any of it without making my phone undergo a nuclear meltdown. But that's just me. Now get off my lawn.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
I have near daily issues with PAAK. Sometimes just plain refuses to connect. Other times, less problematic such as waiting too long before I can open the door, no key messages while driving, or thinking my phone is in the car when I'm walking away and honking at me/unlocking the door. With my wife's Tesla, neither of us have ever had an issue. Bluetooth is the wrong technology (they need to switch to UWB), but Tesla has done a far better job of making it work.
I am usually holding my phone and press the door button holding the phone in the same hand. It works 90%+ of the time on the first try. Sometimes I have to wait a second, or press the button again, but it opens 99% of the time.

You have to make sure FordPass has no power restrictions and no battery optimizations settings on, and you must give it full location access. When PaaK fails, I am usually already in the car and it says "no key detected". I turn off Bluetooth, turn it back on and then start the car. I have not had to use the backup code in months.

leeman

First Name
Leith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
They have a long way to go and it made many promises they have been unable to keep. Their marketing was really good upfront but it seems overtime they have been reducing feature sets along with other things that have made the car not as reliable as a standard gas vehicle.

iam-s-Hon

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 MME Premium AWD ER Iconic Silver
Country flag

Better PAAK
ETC

Look for reports of 'smart summon' feature issues. I'll pass on that one and just park in less hazardous spots.

https://kmph.com/news/local/mans-tesla-crashes-into-pole-using-smart-summon-valet-feature

nitinkumar00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep, Mach e
Country flag
Paak has been pretty rock solid for me only thing is sometimes your phone goes to sleep and it might not work. But you wake up the phone it does so I make sure I Just do that if the door doesn’t unlock when I press it.

other than that what’s lacking is consistent improvements. That is something that they haven’t been able to do. I would like some performance enhancements for the UI. Sometimes it takes a minute to catch up after initial boot. Usually it’s fine after that but still would like it to be little snappier.

nitinkumar00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep, Mach e
Country flag
I am usually holding my phone and press the door button holding the phone in the same hand. It works 90%+ of the time on the first try. Sometimes I have to wait a second, or press the button again, but it opens 99% of the time.

You have to make sure FordPass has no power restrictions and no battery optimizations settings on, and you must give it full location access. When PaaK fails, I am usually already in the car and it says "no key detected". I turn off Bluetooth, turn it back on and then start the car. I have not had to use the backup code in months.
you don’t reallt have to do bluetooth I think. For me it’s either waking up the phone or launching the app and it’s good to go.
Sponsored