I love my Mach E…But I am slightly disappointed with the tech.

Lord Polymath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Sienna, '22 Mach-E Premium ER AWD (PWRPONY)
Occupation
Computer nerd
Country flag
What irritates me is that early adopters (us) will be left out of future updates because the new updates will require more processing power. It's like my current Mustang has Sync 3 and it's a 2020 model, but it can't be upgraded to sync 4. Maybe I'm being unreasonable but there should be a window of years that upgrades are guaranteed.
Sponsored

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
Personally I have found wireless CarPlay to be rock solid in the 2 months I’ve owned it. Always connects every time I get in the car. I had wired CarPlay in my Bolt and didn’t use it that often because of the hassle of plugging in, and leaving the phone in the car because I forgot that I had plugged in in the first place. I’m using an iPhone 13. I don’t bother with the wireless charging because the case I use doesn’t support it.

newmme

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
What irritates me is that early adopters (us) will be left out of future updates because the new updates will require more processing power. It's like my current Mustang has Sync 3 and it's a 2020 model, but it can't be upgraded to sync 4. Maybe I'm being unreasonable but there should be a window of years that upgrades are guaranteed.
Hopefully they will upgrade your infotainment processor (for a fee), like some other EV's do. That way you can still use all the new features on very old cars. I bet they would make good money on it too.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
When I first purchased my MME The dealer has me thinking Ford was going to add all the little bells and whistles similar to Tesla… cool stuff like:

lane changing with blue cruise
Pull out of tight parking/garage using phone
Better PAAK
ETC

Do y’all know if Ford plans on developing/adding any of these things in future OTA updates or not? Is there a place to read about Ford future EV plans?
Why did you think Ford was adding any of those features to the Mustang Mach E? None of that has been announced by Ford anywhere (other than possibly lane change, I believe). Ford has said that they will improve reliability of PAAK.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
The fact that my Sirius XM channels get wiped out from time to time is VERY annoying. Plus drilling down through the various layers to find functions in Sync and Ford Pass is a pain and not very intuitive.
This has never happened to me.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I am usually holding my phone and press the door button holding the phone in the same hand. It works 90%+ of the time on the first try. Sometimes I have to wait a second, or press the button again, but it opens 99% of the time.

You have to make sure FordPass has no power restrictions and no battery optimizations settings on, and you must give it full location access. When PaaK fails, I am usually already in the car and it says "no key detected". I turn off Bluetooth, turn it back on and then start the car. I have not had to use the backup code in months.
Same PAAK experience here.

But today I really didn’t like the “2nd push” problem because it was pouring rain while I was waiting for it to open on the 2nd try.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Ford has said that they will improve reliability of PAAK.
I can vouch for that. My August built GT was much worse with PaaK before I got all the software updates done in February. Anyone with a 2021 who has not updated the software is likely having more problems then those who have.

billy_at

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E California Route 1
Country flag
I would say the fact that the Mach-e allows android auto and apple car play already puts it miles ahead in terms of tech.
100%. Way more important to have CarPlay (which Tesla does not offer) than the ability to make your car speak through loudspeakers.

Last edited:

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Totally agree. 10 years and billions of miles of user data is pretty helpful, Tesla has used it well.

PAAK is slow to pick up sometimes, but no worse than the Tesla was- at least with the Ford you can use the keypad. Android Auto/Carplay is clunky and obnoxious on every vehicle I've seen it in. The UI is Byzantine, but so is Tesla, and Porsche is downright impenetrable. There's very little in it I ever need to get to twice, anyway. I spent half an hour when I first got it going through and turning most stuff off, haven't looked back since.

Map is accurate enough, pedal on the right makes it go, that's just about all the tech I require or use.
I call CarPlay - Satan's spawn. It's just unreliable/buggy in every modern car I've used.

The only time it's been a "must have" are in Toyotas (i.e RAV4 Prime or Siennas) without built in maps where the physical map button opens up Google Maps natively.

Next gen Fords will use Android Automotive OS, no? (Lyriq, PoleStar, and a few others already do) Hyundia/Kia will move to Nvidia Drive.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT, 2017 Raptor, Lightning (9/5 Build)
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Country flag
I call CarPlay - Satan's spawn. It's just unreliable/buggy in every modern car I've used.

The only time it's been a "must have" are in Toyotas (i.e RAV4 Prime or Siennas) without built in maps where the physical map button opens up Google Maps natively.

Next gen Fords will use Android Automotive OS, no? (Lyriq, PoleStar, and a few others already do) Hyundia/Kia will move to Nvidia Drive.
Never used Carplay (I hate apple products), but Android Auto is great. Sometimes a little glitchy getting connected (nothing that takes more than a minute or so to resolve), but once connected it has been rock solid).

In our Mach-e the only issue we have is which phone it connects to if both my wife and I are in the car. I typically drive when we are together and want to use my phone, but hers is the primary/favorite. Still only takes a minute to swap phones.

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag

Polestar 2 uses Android Automotive OS and supports CarPlay.

The underlying OS does not limit what applications can be supported.

I will not buy a car that does not have CarPlay. That single feature is what kept me from buying a Tesla Model Y.

OP
OP

Bdsmith10

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach e premium
Country flag
Why did you think Ford was adding any of those features to the Mustang Mach E? None of that has been announced by Ford anywhere (other than possibly lane change, I believe). Ford has said that they will improve reliability of PAAK.

If you read the original post. I mentioned that I was told this by the salesman. That would be a good reason for me to believe that it would be included at some point.

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
If you read the original post. I mentioned that I was told this by the salesman. That would be a good reason for me to believe that it would be included at some point.
Sadly, salesmen are misinformed. Or they lie to get the sale.
Sponsored