Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GB MME GT
Occupation
Grooper Senior Tech
Country flag
I got my GT back yesterday after PPF was installed. I looked at the hood today and I can see a LONG diagonal crease in the plastic going from the back of the hood to the driver side of the hood. I called the installer and he said they always have to start at one corner before they stretch and do the rest of the hood. The crease looks like the film accidentally touched itself and they pulled it apart but left a crease in it. I told him I wasn’t happy with it and he said he could redo the hood but I would have to sign a waiver that if it pulls the paint, he’s not responsible for it….WTH!? It’s 3M Scotchgard Pro and the website says it is safe and won’t harm the paint. Now that the job is done, he now says it should be safe but if paint comes off, he isn’t responsible.

I don’t get it. I told him if I have the car and ten years down the road when it is time to replace it, I CAN’T take the film off because it might pull the paint!? He avoided the question and said it shouldn’t pull paint on a new car but he won’t do it unless I sign a waiver.

Based on what I’ve read on this forum, the paint on these cars seem weak. If the PPF pulls the paint, I’m sure Ford won’t fix it either. So it seems like I’m going to have to live with the crease! There’s also other panels that are crooked and some spots are silvering but not I have to “live” with the issues or risk pulling my paint. And then there are bubbles in spots. And in the wrap around, the plastic was folded over on itself instead of being snipped before wrapping over the panel’s backside.

This shop has awesome reviews on Google. Rave reviews too. “Awesome work. Blah blah blah” Now I feel like I’m living with a bait and switch. I get it that he doesn’t want fix the paint if something happens, but if you are going to sell a product that claims to be safe for the paint and change your tune after the job is done, maybe you shouldn’t sell that product!

Do you think it is safe for him to redo the hood or should I let it be?

Eventually Ford will make a new generation of the Mach-E, I’ll buy it and skip the BS PPF risks and live with paint chips and touch up paint rather than be held hostage to the threat of new factory paint coming off!
Sponsored

woody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, Chevy Bolt
Country flag
PPF can be removed/repaired by a competent professional.
I have 3M Pro. and my installer can remove and repair any PPF with no damage to any paint job. He installed my decal license plate over the PPF, replaced some of the PPF on my Bolt, etc.

Last edited:

TTT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMC-12, 75 Monza, 17 Volt, 22 MMe Prem. ordered
Occupation
Imagineer
Country flag
That sucks.

Ask him if you can set up a 3 way call with him and his 3M rep. The Rep will tell him there is no chance it will damage the paint if he does it correctly, and then you can ask him why he wants the release if he intends to follow the correct procedure.

If 3M says it's safe, then ask 3M if they will indemnify him if he follows the correct proceedure.

They may reply that they can't warranty against defective paint - then say fine, 3M is a big company, you can warranty the repair and if there is a claim you can go after Ford, or you can fix your product to meet prevailing standards and stop marketing it falsely.

I believe by applying mild heat and perhaps spraying release while working slowly it will come off rather easily.

Also ask him if he has insurance.

In the end you can say you are disappointed and considering posting about your experience on yelp, google, etc., see if he blinks.

In the end tell him you want a full refund and he can either remove the film at his own risk or leave it in place but prepare to be taken to small claims court.

Sign nothing.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I'd go elsewhere, someone that sucks that bad won't get it right on the redo.

Did you pay this genius? I assume so, before you inspected the work.

Stangracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus IS350C Mach E GTPE
Country flag
Sounds like he's trying to scare you into accepting the job. I work in a collision shop and we have to remove PPF all the time. I can't think of a single time when factory paint has been pulled off.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I got my GT back yesterday after PPF was installed. I looked at the hood today and I can see a LONG diagonal crease in the plastic going from the back of the hood to the driver side of the hood. I called the installer and he said they always have to start at one corner before they stretch and do the rest of the hood. The crease looks like the film accidentally touched itself and they pulled it apart but left a crease in it. I told him I wasn’t happy with it and he said he could redo the hood but I would have to sign a waiver that if it pulls the paint, he’s not responsible for it….WTH!? It’s 3M Scotchgard Pro and the website says it is safe and won’t harm the paint. Now that the job is done, he now says it should be safe but if paint comes off, he isn’t responsible.

I don’t get it. I told him if I have the car and ten years down the road when it is time to replace it, I CAN’T take the film off because it might pull the paint!? He avoided the question and said it shouldn’t pull paint on a new car but he won’t do it unless I sign a waiver.

Based on what I’ve read on this forum, the paint on these cars seem weak. If the PPF pulls the paint, I’m sure Ford won’t fix it either. So it seems like I’m going to have to live with the crease! There’s also other panels that are crooked and some spots are silvering but not I have to “live” with the issues or risk pulling my paint. And then there are bubbles in spots. And in the wrap around, the plastic was folded over on itself instead of being snipped before wrapping over the panel’s backside.

This shop has awesome reviews on Google. Rave reviews too. “Awesome work. Blah blah blah” Now I feel like I’m living with a bait and switch. I get it that he doesn’t want fix the paint if something happens, but if you are going to sell a product that claims to be safe for the paint and change your tune after the job is done, maybe you shouldn’t sell that product!

Eventually Ford will make a new generation of the Mach-E, I’ll buy it and skip the BS PPF risks and live with paint chips and touch up paint rather than be held hostage to the threat of new factory paint coming off!
Can you post pictures?

I can say getting it perfect when using the MME templates can yield uneven sides to some degree. There are so many angles it's difficult to get it perfect end of end. With that said I didn't have any issues with the hood on mine. The only thing I don't like are the dust specs that are about 10 in all around the entire car with 2 on the hood. I complained about the front area to be fixed as they stretched it too much and second time no streach but the alignment on the sides by the sensors is off. I gave up and are living with it as they were not timely on fixing things with me chasing them. It's not that easy to spot unless you know what you are looking for.

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
PPF can take months to relax, especially in cold weather. Give it time, unless it's atrocious I'd wait.

JuliaSWMME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GTPE Nite Pony
Country flag
It still needs to cure, you might want to give it a bit to settle. I was really concerned with some bubbles I thought I had but once it cured it was A+

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
PPF can take months to relax, especially in cold weather. Give it time, unless it's atrocious I'd wait.
True but over stretching won’t improve, bubbles do disappear. Also one has to watch lifting in over lapped areas.

TRP

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E P4x, Ford F150
Country flag
I had PPF done on most of the car and was not happy with the results. Installer came back out to my house and removed it all. Only section he had a hard time with was the driver rocker panel, gloss black section. Film and glue separated leaving the glue on the car and he had to buff that off.

There were no issues with it removing any paint.

After it was all removed he applied Ceramic Pro coating and I am very happy with that

Scooby24

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME-GT Star White; '22 MME Prem AWD DGM
Occupation
Perioperative Revenue Manager
Country flag
sounds like a glue line mistake. Pulled film off to stretch and reseat and it left a glue line. Installer error and should be corrected at their expense without question

TTT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMC-12, 75 Monza, 17 Volt, 22 MMe Prem. ordered
Occupation
Imagineer
Country flag
So, where do you stand?

Tngo23

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22-GTPE, Lexus GS350 F Sport, Porsche 911 SC
Occupation
Chilling
Country flag
There are some good feedbacks from everyone on this PPF topic…..tough decision since the installer sounds shady and not very good or confidence in his work. With that said, I wouldn’t risk the guy messing it up with another try and honestly I don’t think the paint is that thin.
Only my experiences from a few of my cars having PPF…
Don’t know if reviews on Yelp/Google matters where you live but you can always give him that advice if he doesn’t adhere to your request

Good luck

DaMeatMan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range Battery
Country flag

I never understood the whole PPF craze. Particularly when prices can be near what it costs to paint the vehicle. People act as if PPF is some sort of magic force field material that in reality will take damage just like paint if not more so due to it being softer. A sharp stone will also likely damage underlying paint. As will removing the PPF also likely damage underlying paint, which would then need correcting snd buffing before applying new PPF.

To my eyes paint will always looks better than PPF, and you almost always see imperfections on ppf, so I will enjoy my paint. If my paint gets damaged ill pay to fix it when the damage occurs. Whereas with PPF you basically paid up front for what amounts to a new paint job to cover a brand new paint job lol.. sorry, I just can't wrap my head around doing that and I think it's ridiculous.

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
You do need to give it time to settle, but if there are any defects the installer should be able to fix them without a problem. That was my experience at least. When done right, you shouldn't be able to tell the difference between the PPF sections and the non-PPF sections of the car. The exception to that is when you only do part of the hood. Depending on the viewing angle you will see a seam.

Since you've already paid for the work I'd try to at least get the installer to fix it. If you end up taking it somewhere else, or removing it all together, you at least tried to make it right.
Sponsored