SteveUk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mache with crap keys
Country flag
It's only a minor issue, but my issue with the PRNDL switch is that it doesn't stop at either end, meaning I have to actually look at it. The rotary switch on my previous Ford products always stopped. Interestingly, it was electrically controlled; the knob itself would free-spin like the MME's when power was off, but I could blindly operate them just on feel.

For example, to get into R, quickly rotate anticlockwise until it stops, then one click clockwise. Done. I suppose it's only a matter of training to get myself to rotate "a lot," then one click clockwise, but it was reassuring to know that "hard stop" means I'm really there, and "a lot" is kind of subjective.
I agree, that is poor.

Do you get something on the screen behind the steering wheel telling you if you're in P R N or D?
Sponsored

Tpaguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach E First Edition
Country flag
I agree, that is poor.

Do you get something on the screen behind the steering wheel telling you if you're in P R N or D?
That’s interesting. My PRND rotary dial stops when I get to P or D. Only if the car is turned off does it rotate freely.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
That’s interesting. My PRND rotary dial stops when I get to P or D. Only if the car is turned off does it rotate freely.
Mach-E appears to have removed that. Can spin to your heart's content in either direction at all times, on mine anyway.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Mach-E appears to have removed that. Can spin to your heart's content in either direction at all times, on mine anyway.
Mine too. It doesn't stop.

I found the clicks to be sufficient for knowing which gear I'm in when switching between R and D, or to/from P.

vinny2487

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E CA Route 1 (Star White)
Country flag
When I test drove the Mach E that was one of the weird things I found about the gear shifter. It just spins and spins and spins. Not a deal breaker but weird. Even the Ford salesperson was like "It stops in other Ford cars".

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Well if you've ever driven vehicle with a column mounted shifter, it's the same thing. Going from drive to reverse you can overshoot reverse and right into Park. Like wise, you can pull it out of park and stop in 1st and think it's drive if you don't look. Really hasn't been an issue for us, seems to require a little driver attention just like our other Column or console mounted shifter.

Last edited:

88 KILOWATTS PER HOUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Chevy Bolt EUV
Country flag
I'm not into the rotary dial. My Volt has a traditional gear shifter between the front bucket seats and, although it isn't necessary, it just feels right :cool:

The Polestar 2 and current generation Bolt also have somewhat traditional gear shifters (not like the Volt, which is ICE style old school, but similar). I still prefer these over the other designs out there now, such as push button (on the new Bolts), rotary dial (on the MME), and control knob (on the ID4).

I could get behind a REALLY old school steering column stalk though. Like what my parents had on their big old American rear wheel drive boats that were made in the 1970's.

88 KILOWATTS PER HOUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Chevy Bolt EUV
Country flag
I think the lack of feedback might be the issue, in regards to these new gear select designs.
When we shifted into Drive or Reverse or Park on our old ICE vehicles, we felt something happen. We just knew by the feedback our cars gave us that we had done something.

When I test drove the MME, I remember turning the dial to Drive, and then just standing still for a second, waiting for something to happen. The dealer rep in the back seat then told me "you can go now- it's ready." I felt a bit embarrassed after that.

Tpaguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mach E First Edition
Country flag
perhaps some people have faulty knobs?
I just checked mine again today and for some reason it had felt like it stopped for me. It didn’t though when I tried it today so I take back what I said.

It still feels natural to me at least though. No complaints here but I see what you all are talking about now.

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
My neighbor was all set to buy the ID4 until he saw my car. He has driven the ID4 twice and keeps coming back to the MachE for one reason, power. There is no comparison according to him. He wishes the MachE had a retractable sunshade for pano (it should at this price point) but other than that he is liked the MachE more.
Sponsored