SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I've actually tripped getting out of the mustang twice.
The door wells are deeper than my kia- my mind still sees red hood and thinks it's in the kia I traded. But it got me looking at the door in general, the door extends way down below the lip to get in and out. I don't think I have seen a car like that before.
It's because they're hiding how tall the battery is with the door line. The rockers are insanely high because of the battery height and providing side-impact crash structure to protect the pack.
Sponsored

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag

engnrng

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 GTPE, Kona EV, 2023 BMW iX
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The screen right in front of your eyes tell you what gear you're in. It's there for a reason. Plus since it's there, you don't have to look away from the road when looking at the gear either.
When I go from D to R, my eyes are going to the big screen to see the reverse camera. I am not looking at the dash. Fortunately, I rarely have to go from D to R, I am such an excellent and skillful parking expert. Going from P to R - no problem: just one detent click CW. Going from P to D, no problem: just give it a good spin CW. Going from D to P, no problem: just give it a good spin CCW. My favorite shifter is in my Kona: a + configuration - never have to look to know what button to push. I am now used to using the never ending knob in the MME, but still look down at the knob if I am only going to R from D.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
. I also like the all-black background on the ID.4's screens, very high contrast, super easy to read.
The Mach-E seems to be backlit LED displays, it sounds like the ID.4 may be OLED.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
I'll tell you, my manual Mustang did not have a rotary shifter. :p Mach-E is the first time I've encountered it.

Never said it randomly spun. I said it treats "R" to "P" counterclockwise as the same resistance as "N" to "R" and the refresh rate of the screen is so slow that I've been spinning 1 too many clicks and dropping it into "P" at ~2 mph instead of "R" and that's very uncomfortable to feel the car slam to a stop and bounce off the park pawl. VW's shifter design removes that risk. That's all I was saying.
I rarely shift to park when I stop, I just turn the car off and it goes into park. My Clarity did the same.

Ixoye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB FE Mach e, ‘16 fusion energi, ‘14 Focus EV
Country flag
I never said it randomly rotates. I said it has no detent between R and P, so you can't tell by feel whether you're gonna get R or P, and I've had it get P when backing into a parking spot, and bounced the car off the park pawl. On multiple occasions.
I agree that I am not a fan about that as well. Happened to me tons when I rented a Expedition as well. Feel like a dumbass when the car abruptly comes to a halt and you rock back and forth while trying to spin the dial back to R. I like the wheel, but agree that it should have something protecting you from accidently spinning too far when reaching for the "R".

Ixoye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB FE Mach e, ‘16 fusion energi, ‘14 Focus EV
Country flag
I'm not into the rotary dial. My Volt has a traditional gear shifter between the front bucket seats and, although it isn't necessary, it just feels right :cool:

The Polestar 2 and current generation Bolt also have somewhat traditional gear shifters (not like the Volt, which is ICE style old school, but similar). I still prefer these over the other designs out there now, such as push button (on the new Bolts), rotary dial (on the MME), and control knob (on the ID4).

I could get behind a REALLY old school steering column stalk though. Like what my parents had on their big old American rear wheel drive boats that were made in the 1970's.
I always thought the gear shifter takes up too much space. IMHO would rather have the dial than gear shifter. Just something to get more used to. Have only screwed up into P when aiming for R twice in 2200 miles though. Better than when I was driving the expedition. That was like 5 times in a 1 week rental.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
What? It automatically spins it to P?
The dial does not spin, its all electronic. My Clarity was push button (ugly giant POS shifter) - the D light goes out and the P light goes on.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I rarely shift to park when I stop, I just turn the car off and it goes into park. My Clarity did the same.
For me it's doing 3-point turns, or backing into parking spaces, when I hit "P" instead of "R" - parking is fine.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
What? It automatically spins it to P?
That works? I gotta try that out!
After the very publicized death of an actor (Star Trek, I think) by being run over by his Jeep that rolled backwards down his driveway and crushed him, after he hopped out but didn't put the electronic shifter in "P" all the electronic shifters go to "P" when the driver door is opened and the driver unbuckles.

HOW DOES AUTOMATIC RETURN TO PARK (P) WORK

Your vehicle shifts to park (P) when your vehicle is stationary and any of the following occur:
  • You switch the vehicle off.
  • You open the driver door with the driver seatbelt unfastened.
  • You unfasten the driver seatbelt with the driver door open.
Note: Do not use Automatic Return to Park when your vehicle is moving, except in an emergency.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
For me it's doing 3-point turns, or backing into parking spaces, when I hit "P" instead of "R" - parking is fine.
Ah that makes sense. The "R" button on my clarity had to be pulled up, you could feel it without looking. I guess that would prevent the issue you speak of.

People have complained about hitting their knee in the MME, they should try sitting with their knee next to this when they drive.

Ford Mustang Mach-E I test drove a ID.4 today (my comparison vs Mach-E) 1617747924210
Sponsored