Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Remember, the remote lock/unlock/start from FordPass all work through the cloud. No internet connectivity (wireless) then none of those functions.
hete’s my own GUESS on how PaaK might work:

Phone and car get in Bluetooth range of each other and have been previously paired:
They exchange some kind of one-time token identifying themselves (over Bluetooth)
They then separately call back to the Ford mothership (via the internet) and ask if that token is valid and is the key or car that they’re associated with.
Once both the phone and the car have heard back that the token they have for the other one is valid, then the car will let the doors open.
Then, before allowing the vehicle to start, both the phone and the car go through another token exchange and validation with the Ford mothership. Once that second token exchange and validation is complete, then the car will allow it to be started.
again, this is all just my speculation. I haven’t looked at any traffic Bluetooth or network from the phone or the car, nor do I have any insight into how any of the PaaK is implemented. I’m speculating given the delays in the UI and the dependencies on the Ford mothership for other FordPass and car functions.
I’d love it if someone who knows something about networking actually looked at the traffic going on when PaaK is in use.

BMT1071

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME SR RWD, 23 MME GTPE
Occupation
Regional Service Manager
Country flag
Dude. At least you can test drive them! I waited 15.5 MONTHS for my first test drive, and it was the car I was purchasing! ;)
This might be worse. You didn't know what you were missing. ?

MightyJawa

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt
Country flag
Remember, the remote lock/unlock/start from FordPass all work through the cloud. No internet connectivity (wireless) then none of those functions.
hete’s my own GUESS on how PaaK might work:

Phone and car get in Bluetooth range of each other and have been previously paired:
They exchange some kind of one-time token identifying themselves (over Bluetooth)
They then separately call back to the Ford mothership (via the internet) and ask if that token is valid and is the key or car that they’re associated with.
Once both the phone and the car have heard back that the token they have for the other one is valid, then the car will let the doors open.
Then, before allowing the vehicle to start, both the phone and the car go through another token exchange and validation with the Ford mothership. Once that second token exchange and validation is complete, then the car will allow it to be started.
again, this is all just my speculation. I haven’t looked at any traffic Bluetooth or network from the phone or the car, nor do I have any insight into how any of the PaaK is implemented. I’m speculating given the delays in the UI and the dependencies on the Ford mothership for other FordPass and car functions.
I’d love it if someone who knows something about networking actually looked at the traffic going on when PaaK is in use.
This seems reasonable, but maybe the car is the only one checking in with the mothership Since others have said it works if they turn off data on their phones.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
This seems reasonable, but maybe the car is the only one checking in with the mothership Since others have said it works if they turn off data on their phones.
I don't see why the car would need constant connectivity for this. It should only need periodic connectivity to deal with key insertions and revocations.

One of you driveway mechanics simply needs to move your phone out of bluetooth range, disconnect the vehicle's cellular antenna, turn off mobile data and wifi on the phone, and then see if you can get in and drive with PaaK.

I can't wait to see photos of your handiwork and the outcomes. :)

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
I disabled the good-bye honk - that was annoying. But otherwise I agree it’s annoying for the phone to wake up the car every time you walk into the garage.
I don't particularly understand why that is annoying. If I walk into the garage with my phone, the welcome lights and my friendly pony lights appear. I kind of like it and it does minimal harm (very little power used for my Mach-E to welcome me to my garage). Some have stated that the car then honks when you walk away but that has not been my experience unless I push the unlock button.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
Dealer giving me a second FOB. I am not wasting time with PaaK. He said "most people give up on it"

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
I do agree that PaaK works better if you go slow. But they way the first post of this thread described the steps, felt more like bar pick-up tips ?

Deleted member 3663

I have the same problem when I walk into my garage and PAAK is not working immediately. However, I have found that PAAK works well when walking up to it in a parking lot, say at a store. But not working right away in the garage is annoying...

I'll take the annoying for now because I don't want to lug around the FOB.

TOBG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Mustang GT, 2021 Mach-E Premium RWD ER
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have no need for it. I use the FOB that is always in my pocket.
Sponsored