I think our Mach-e is going back to Ford. Permanently.

George

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Prius; 2011 Subaru Outback; 2021 Mustang Mach
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I will say posts like this make me consider canceling…I’m not expecting the same software maturity as Tesla out of the gates, but months of the same issues and no OTA to speak of is very concerning. I’ve been hoping that by the time I see mine, likely in December, there will be some major update but I’m a bit pessimistic
I am in this same space as Macho geo. Ordered March, due in 2-3 wks. I’m losing faith in Ford’s commitment to the car, the software or the customer. Really poor way to enter this competitive market!
Sponsored

shark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Country flag
I am in this same space as Macho geo. Ordered March, due in 2-3 wks. I’m losing faith in Ford’s commitment to the car, the software or the customer. Really poor way to enter this competitive market!
I read that the best selling vehicle in Norway since May is the Ford Mach-E - something like 10% of all cars sold in Norway are Mach-E's right now. I don't think the OP's charging issue indicates a common problem with the Mach-E. I have zero doubt in Ford's commitment to the Mach-E or the Lightning.

fpavlo1

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach E
Occupation
retired
Country flag
We switched out our old 7-8 years old Model S for a Mach-e and it has not good.
I love driving the Mach-e, but the SW sucks big time.

It has been in and out of Ford where they have updated this and that. Phone as a key, never worked well for us. Not with Apple nor with Android. We got an extra fob from ford, and that helped.
The app is a mess. It seems more important to present dealer choices than to fix basic functionality. IT so badly designed that I cannot find words for it. The SW team at Ford, they cannot have much pride in this product.
I'd say that charging is the most important feature. That should be presented at the front page by touching the battery indicator and then you get all relevant charging functions. Start, stop....
Well, starting charging suddenly stopped working. The car data was very old, over an hour. So trying to refresh it, but Ford politely tells me 8-10 times that the car is asleep.... For Christ sake. It's connected to the charger... It has access to my WiFi. It should be always connected. Finally it updates, and I cannot start charging. Tries this restarting the iOS app but it does not help. It states that it is connected to the charger, but nothing more. Tries it from the Android phone 4-5 times. The app crashes after seconds.... each time. In different places...
Then going out to the garage to see if it helps disconnecting and reconnecting from the charger. O behold... The freaking car will not release the cable. It only blinks orange. No error code/message in the app.

I call support.... Use the Help in the app and then "Call". Well the lady there cannot help me because the dealer is closed. Now I get p.... and she gets it and suddenly says, I should have called Ford Assistance. Why did she not transfer me there? In stead I get directions on using that part of the app. I try the Assistance in the app thinking I would get connected to someone that actually can help. No.... I get a message back saying the will dispatch a tow truck... I give up. Now I'm waiting to see what happens.

I seriously regret not getting a new Tesla now. This sucks.
My local dealer has been great, Ford Norway, not so much. (We have a long running case with them as the car will not chare 3-phase 230v. 4 other EV's work flawlessly on the boxes)

I cannot even consider recommending anyone to buy a Ford after this experience.
You are not alone. My Mach E stopped charging the first time I hooked it up to the 220 at home using the Ford charger. We had the vehicle for 12 days and took it to the dealer. After more then 4 months they have yet to fix it. Ford bought the vehicle back. It had less that 400 miles on it. I can’t believe that Ford is unable to respond to these fundamental issues on their flagship EV. I think there is a Tesla in my future.

Frank

dimes4slim

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium,18 Beetle Dune-now sold
Occupation
Retired Bean Counter
Country flag
If mine ever arrives, I will be happy just to be able to drive it. Software is rarely great for anything in its first generatio, but I have faith they will soon get it right. They have too much riding on the Mach E and the upcoming Lightening F150.. BTW, Send me a steak from Jocko’s…please!

Rolling ions

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Rwd, Tacoma
Country flag
I will say posts like this make me consider canceling…I’m not expecting the same software maturity as Tesla out of the gates, but months of the same issues and no OTA to speak of is very concerning. I’ve been hoping that by the time I see mine, likely in December, there will be some major update but I’m a bit pessimistic
These forums gave me pause before delivery as well but I rolled the dice and bought it anyways. While it's only been a month and 2200 miles I can say I am glad I bought it, recommend it to friends. Only real issue is front windowed stress cracked, currently waiting to see how ford is going to handle it. I expect them to say it was impact, but pin test would dispute that so we shall see. I hope you keep your order and enjoy it like we have.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Hmmm. Losing faith in Ford’s commitment to the car, the software, or the customer? Really? I’d say that $11B in two greenfield facilities dedicated to EVs and their primary component (batteries) is a pretty strong commitment for a company the size of the ford motor company (take a peek at their balance sheet). Perhaps you might come to a different conclusion? I’d love to hear your analysis and the basis for it.

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Hmmm. Losing faith in Ford’s commitment to the car, the software, or the customer? Really? I’d say that $11B in two greenfield facilities dedicated to EVs and their primary component (batteries) is a pretty strong commitment for a company the size of the ford motor company (take a peek at their balance sheet). Perhaps you might come to a different conclusion? I’d love to hear your analysis and the basis for it.
not to mention the improving the charging network partnership with EA

zvez

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GT PE Carbonized Grey with Nite Pony package
Occupation
retired
Country flag
These forums gave me pause before delivery as well but I rolled the dice and bought it anyways. While it's only been a month and 2200 miles I can say I am glad I bought it, recommend it to friends. Only real issue is front windowed stress cracked, currently waiting to see how ford is going to handle it. I expect them to say it was impact, but pin test would dispute that so we shall see. I hope you keep your order and enjoy it like we have.
four months and no issues with my car. THoroughly enjoy it.

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
I've gone round and round with Ford Customer Service, Dealers, and IM on here and I get absolutely no where with the PaaK issues. Yes I could buy a second FOB but I shouldn't have to. It appears new owners are getting a second FOB at delivery. For many of us PaaK is not reliable. A year into production and still PaaK and many other software glitches are not fixed. BC yeah I'm sure we'll see that download tonight lol.

I understand 1st gen glitches but Ford incompetence to address the software is so frustrating. I wish I had put off buying or bought something else. Otherwise I do love the car.

RockwallRick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford Maverick FX4
Country flag
If a few people want to cancel or sell, that's fine. Their choice. Personally, I'm quite happy with mine. It's not without it's software issues, but it's software. That'll update.

PAAK sucks, yes. It was never a huge selling point for me. Cell phone bluetooth is often flaky (not just for the Mach-E), so I was always going to use fob anyway. Got a 2nd.

FordPass is buggy, yes. But I don't really use it for charging at home. I just set the home schedule in the car and plug in. Don't even need the app (it's nice to check status and get notifications, and those usually work).

Yes, the SW is a work in progress. But so far no real biggies for me.
Totally agree about PAAK, never did like the idea of using a phone for a Key!! For me and my Wife another FOB was a must! Prior to buying this car we did a LOT of demo driving without PAAK or Fordpass and that experience was so much more enjoyable!!! We have had this car for 3 months and 3K miles now and so far it has been rock solid! :)

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
I've gone round and round with Ford Customer Service, Dealers, and IM on here and I get absolutely no where with the PaaK issues. Yes I could buy a second FOB but I shouldn't have to. It appears new owners are getting a second FOB at delivery. For many of us PaaK is not reliable. A year into production and still PaaK and many other software glitches are not fixed. BC yeah I'm sure we'll see that download tonight lol.

I understand 1st gen glitches but Ford incompetence to address the software is so frustrating. I wish I had put off buying or bought something else. Otherwise I do love the car.
So you're questioning your vehicle purchase because you can't use your phone as a key? I don't understand this mentality at all. I understand its a feature and it's not reliable right now, but I personally wouldn't rely on my phone to be 100% reliable to physically make my car work. I don't care how good paak might be, your phone is still a piece of a computer that needs to connect to another computer literally 100% of the time perfectly, otherwise you're stranded out in the wilderness somewhere with no cell reception.

Are you seriously saying you're comfortable with that? People just need to use a freaking FOB and get over it. I don't even plan on using paak and I say this as an IT professional. And as an IT professional I would never expect it to work perfectly. Something this critical should not be relying on a phone to get you home. Good luck with that.

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
So you're questioning your vehicle purchase because you can't use your phone as a key? I don't understand this mentality at all. I understand its a feature and it's not reliable right now, but I personally wouldn't rely on my phone to be 100% reliable to physically make my car work. I don't care how good paak might be, your phone is still a piece of a computer that needs to connect to another computer literally 100% of the time perfectly, otherwise you're stranded out in the wilderness somewhere with no cell reception.

Are you seriously saying you're comfortable with that? People just need to use a freaking FOB and get over it. I don't even plan on using paak and I say this as an IT professional. And as an IT professional I would never expect it to work perfectly. Something this critical should not be relying on a phone to get you home. Good luck with that.
Questioning because Ford is not fixing much if anything in almost a year. It shouldn't be difficult for Ford to lay PaaK to rest by issuing a second FOB. The backup process doesn't work well either. Why only give us one key. Its the principal. Yes I'm an IT guy as well and I understand.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Questioning because Ford is not fixing much if anything in almost a year. It shouldn't be difficult for Ford to lay PaaK to rest by issuing a second FOB. The backup process doesn't work well either. Why only give us one key. Its the principal. Yes I'm an IT guy as well and I understand.
I agree that Ford made a mistake in only issuing one fob. Not sure what they were thinking with that one, with PAAK unproven and bluetooth known to not be fully dependable in general. Getting into and starting a car needs to be 99.99% dependable, not 95%. (Thus why I just use the fob like I have in cars for decades.)

But having said that, a 2nd fob is ~$175 with programming (give or take). Finding the part has been tricky this year in the age of COVID-driven supply issues, but that's just the world we live in now (for everything). In the grand scheme of things, I consider a ~$175 outlay for an extra accessory on a $50k vehicle is pretty minor. Many of us have already bought one, so I would hate to see them retroactively give them out now. However it would be a nice gesture if they issued the equivalent number of FordPass points to all 2021 owners. Those that want a fob can use them for that, those that don't can use them on something else.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
You are not alone. My Mach E stopped charging the first time I hooked it up to the 220 at home using the Ford charger. We had the vehicle for 12 days and took it to the dealer. After more then 4 months they have yet to fix it. Ford bought the vehicle back. It had less that 400 miles on it. I can’t believe that Ford is unable to respond to these fundamental issues on their flagship EV. I think there is a Tesla in my future.

Frank
People with concerns about reliability shouldn’t have Tesla as their backup plan.

You’d be trading “unknown reliability” for “known horrible reliability.”

theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 2021 IB, Audi Etron, Chevy Volt, BMW I3,
Country flag
People with concerns about reliability shouldn’t have Tesla as their backup plan.

You’d be trading “unknown reliability” for “known horrible reliability.”
I'm coming to think that is the entire purpose of these threads.....
Sponsored