I was only whelmed by my Tesla test drives

locks66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT
Country flag
So, I decided to go check out a model 3 and model y since the price cuts and a string of bad luck with my mach e this last month (again bad luck but still frustrating).

My wife's car is also due for replacement.

Now I've always been in the camp that I don't love Tesla and their fan base seems to be blind to the rest of the world and sometimes too much of Elon fan boys.

That being said I was saying that all without ever driving one or being in one.

Now these were not the performance editions, but I have driven quite a few electrics outside the Tesla sphere.

I will say their test drive experience should be the standard. Orient you with the car. Take it out on your own and come back.

I kept saying out loud to myself in both cars, I want to like this more. There has to be something missing.

Autopilot while nice, had a few scarier moments and made some questionable decisions for me. Trying to slow in the passing lane to find space between a tailgating car to get to an exit for instance. I didn't feel like it was "man does blue cruise suck"

As a tall guy the model 3 cockpit is way to small. The y was a better fit but in both cars I never felt "excited or happy" I felt like yeah this is a fine car. The handling fine, The acceleration fine. The driving feedback, fine.

The only thing I really left jealous of was the sound system, which truly was amazing quality, the speed of their UI, and their app.

I had always assumed there had to be some truth to the "Tesla hype" and maybe 5 years ago there was. Heck even 3 years ago, but it is just a basic electric car by today's standard with a body that needs to be updated imo.

Marketing is definitely a big reason why they have the push they do and now the price is really another draw.

I could never have imagined paying the old prices though for what they offer.

Also it was refreshing that my dealer rep was honest and straight forward.
Supercharging is more like 20 to 30 minutes.
Autopilot enhanced may not be worth it.
Fsd is certainly not worth it as it's not there yet.

Do I think people who own the cars are probably happy? Yes.

Do I think those people should probably shop around a bit and not just buy into the "Tesla hype?" Most definitely.

I'm sure the S and the X are different beasts all together, but for a car that advertised as a "luxury brand" I didn't get a luxury vibe.
Sponsored

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
So, I decided to go check out a model 3 and model y since the price cuts and a string of bad luck with my mach e this last month (again bad luck but still frustrating).

My wife's car is also due for replacement.

Now I've always been in the camp that I don't love Tesla and their fan base seems to be blind to the rest of the world and sometimes too much of Elon fan boys.

That being said I was saying that all without ever driving one or being in one.

Now these were not the performance editions, but I have driven quite a few electrics outside the Tesla sphere.

I will say their test drive experience should be the standard. Orient you with the car. Take it out on your own and come back.

I kept saying out loud to myself in both cars, I want to like this more. There has to be something missing.

Autopilot while nice, had a few scarier moments and made some questionable decisions for me. Trying to slow in the passing lane to find space between a tailgating car to get to an exit for instance. I didn't feel like it was "man does blue cruise suck"

As a tall guy the model 3 cockpit is way to small. The y was a better fit but in both cars I never felt "excited or happy" I felt like yeah this is a fine car. The handling fine, The acceleration fine. The driving feedback, fine.

The only thing I really left jealous of was the sound system, which truly was amazing quality, the speed of their UI, and their app.

I had always assumed there had to be some truth to the "Tesla hype" and maybe 5 years ago there was. Heck even 3 years ago, but it is just a basic electric car by today's standard with a body that needs to be updated imo.

Marketing is definitely a big reason why they have the push they do and now the price is really another draw.

I could never have imagined paying the old prices though for what they offer.

Also it was refreshing that my dealer rep was honest and straight forward.
Supercharging is more like 20 to 30 minutes.
Autopilot enhanced may not be worth it.
Fsd is certainly not worth it as it's not there yet.

Do I think people who own the cars are probably happy? Yes.

Do I think those people should probably shop around a bit and not just buy into the "Tesla hype?" Most definitely.

I'm sure the S and the X are different beasts all together, but for a car that advertised as a "luxury brand" I didn't get a luxury vibe.
Teslas have no soul. That is how I explained it after testing an albeit very fast MYP after test driving a Mach-E overnight, which is something that Ford also does with the MME if you can find a dealer that lets you do it. We just went right back to the Mach-E and still happy.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I don't think I could ever get used to the lack of a driver's display and the lack of physical, tactile controls for important stuff. Having almost everything in the screen is not an ergonomically great idea.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I really really really like my Mach-E GT's B&O sound system. Is the Tesla's system significantly better or marginally better? What kind of music were you listening to on the test drive?
Yeah it sounds great to me as well, but the source material has to be right. Of course SXM sounds like trash.

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
Yeah it sounds great to me as well, but the source material has to be right. Of course SXM sounds like trash.

Yeah, I'm force streaming the highest fidelity from my phone at all times so this might be an overlooked factor to others who don't like the Ford B&O system.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yeah, I'm force streaming the highest fidelity from my phone at all times so this might be an overlooked factor to others who don't like the Ford B&O system.
If you've got a classical HD Radio station in your area, those sound awesome as well

OP
OP
locks66

locks66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT
Country flag
If you've got a classical HD Radio station in your area, those sound awesome as well
To be fair I am using Spotify's compressed streams even at Max (don't know where the hell their audio update is they promised over one year ago)

And sxm. So I probably should try like a tidal or apple music or something.

I was just listening to the Tesla streaming station of today's alternative. I had read they are getting ready to add Atmos and the sound system is well reviewed, but damn it was crystal clear and sounded great.

MachGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Pre-order
Country flag
I rented a model x on turo before buying the Mach-E. I was completely unimpressed. One writer described tesla as a performance monster wearing khaki dockers. I wouldn't buy one with the choices available today, but I'd rather see a tesla on the road over another gas guzzling "crossover".

OP
OP
locks66

locks66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E GT
Country flag
Teslas have no soul. That is how I explained it after testing an albeit very fast MYP after test driving a Mach-E overnight, which is something that Ford also does with the MME if you can find a dealer that lets you do it. We just went right back to the Mach-E and still happy.
That's exactly it! No soul! I called my brother to talk it over and said it felt like I was behind the wheel of a high tech Prius or Camry. It does all the basics very well, but doesn't put the smile on your face the way other cars (ev and non) have for me.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To be fair I am using Spotify's compressed streams even at Max (don't know where the hell their audio update is they promised over one year ago)

And sxm. So I probably should try like a tidal or apple music or something.

I was just listening to the Tesla streaming station of today's alternative. I had read they are getting ready to add Atmos and the sound system is well reviewed, but damn it was crystal clear and sounded great.
if It's over Bluetooth it's gonna be compressed even more, even though it still sounds pretty good

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
I don't think I could ever get used to the lack of a driver's display and the lack of physical, tactile controls for important stuff. Having almost everything in the screen is not an ergonomically great idea.
This is one of those catastrophic misses on Teslas part. People get used to anything, but I want a display in front of me when I drive.

will

First Name
Not Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ridgeline RTL-T, 2022 MME Prem Ext Rwd
Country flag
Pretty sure Tesla doesn’t have marketing? Anyway, I also have never driven or ridden in one. Maybe I should given your experience with it.
Sponsored