First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Premium AWD, ER,06 Duramax,16 Acadia Denali
Country flag
Interesting feedback.

So back in September, my brother who has a Model 3 had just taken delivery of his Rivian, but he only has a single car garage and wasn't sure if he was keeping the Model 3 as well, or selling it etc. So he asked me if I could park it at my house for a week while he went out of town (allowing him to keep the Rivian in the garage and Model 3 not parked on the street) and said I could drive it.

Having never driven an electric car, and waiting for my MME to arrive, I took the opportunity to get a weeks worth of commuting, running my kids to activities etc. with the Model 3 and here was my thoughts:

PRO's:
  • The car was FAST! Like stupid, snap your head back fast. (It is a dual motor model, but no ludicrous mode)
  • The technology was impressive. AutoPilot was really cool, worked well, etc. but being as it was new to me and not my car, I didn't really try it too much.
  • I've always thought the Model 3 was a decent looking car, but will admit after the week of driving it, the look grew on me even more.
CON's
  • Hated the lack of buttons, and drivers display or at least a HUD.
  • While I think it looks nice, and seems like a cool feature, the door handles were annoying, especially when you had stuff in your hands.
  • It sat low and has a long wheel base meaning my steep driveway had to be entered/exited carefully without high centering. Not so much a "Tesla" issue, but low car issue.
  • I definitely in just the week of driving it, experienced quite a bit of Tesla hate, or EV hate or whatever from big diesel trucks, etc. People either cutting me off, or not letting me in when blinker on and trying to merge etc.
At the end of the day, the car is a good car. I don't think anyone can really argue against that too heavily. We all know charging infrastructure is better too etc. etc.

But for me the fact that the Model 3 is like the Corolla of EV's due to it's popularity (AKA its SUPER common) and the hate towards Teslas, and the fact that the styling is kinda meh, I just couldn't bring myself to buy one.

This is where I feel the MME is King. Styling (and yeah I get this is subjective) is IMO the best on the market for EV's at the moment (excluding models costing over $100k+). I love the good mix of physical buttons, drivers display, good tech, Apple CarPlay, and just generally the comfort and fit and finish of the car.
Sponsored

astronut325

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium, Toyota Camry, Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Software analyst
Country flag
I think the charging network plays a very big role that just won’t be a point of consideration on a test drive. I didn’t realize this until I tried to do 200+ mile trips with me Mach-E. And then doing a road trip in a Tesla was… enlightening!

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 GT
Country flag
I really really really like my Mach-E GT's B&O sound system. Is the Tesla's system significantly better or marginally better? What kind of music were you listening to on the test drive?
I will say our Model 3s sound system was significantly better than the Mach E, it’s not even close

Dave-O

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Odyssey
Occupation
Fuel hauler
Country flag
We’ve initiated a buy back from Ford over our Mach-E issues. Awaiting their offer which should happen this week. Over this past weekend we went and test drove a Long Range Model Y and I have to say that the Mach-E just didn’t even compare. Not even close.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
I don't think I could ever get used to the lack of a driver's display and the lack of physical, tactile controls for important stuff. Having almost everything in the screen is not an ergonomically great idea.
This 1000x over -- It should be law for a display to remain in front of the driver. This is one thing I will not stop bringing up. Tesla literally took the Model A approach, minimalist mainstream.

I've found the MME's sound system to be adequate for stock, of course my sliders are moved and I think I've since blown the sub. Far better than the B&O in my F150 currently getting ripped out.

As for most things buried in touch display. Well, for a driver that's on the road driving, touch screens are dangerous (more than 2x as dangerous to fugg w/ touch screen than a phone).
My F150 is full of buttons, instant working, no fuss. There's no replacement for it.

Beautiful buttons a plenty....
Ford Mustang Mach-E I was only whelmed by my Tesla test drives 1674524553049

Ford Mustang Mach-E I was only whelmed by my Tesla test drives 1674524900314

It can also display various camera angles in motion while still retaining other controls :)

Last edited:

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
"Free marketing from people flexing their Tesla's"

Tesla TikTok is a toxic my car is perfect place.
Oh man go to Twitter lol. It’s like they’ve got an alarm to white knight for Elon every time someone says something bad

acosmichippo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Select Dark Matter Gray
Country flag
I don't think I could ever get used to the lack of a driver's display and the lack of physical, tactile controls for important stuff. Having almost everything in the screen is not an ergonomically great idea.
all of that and CarPlay is big for me. I don't think i'l ever buy a car again without it.

Hammered

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB F150, MME GTPE
Country flag
Oh man go to Twitter lol. It’s like they’ve got an alarm to white knight for Elon every time someone says something bad
I'd praised his moves on twitter (since been some regression) while still poking fun at the catfish cars. When someone does something good, you praise it. Negative, admonish. No tribal rich-man-bad.

Twitter has always sucked. My account is will be 16yrs old this year.... and this is the best the platform has been, and it still sucks.

MBCook

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E AWD ER, Infinite Metallic Blue
Country flag
all of that and CarPlay is big for me. I don't think i'l ever buy a car again without it.
I will never buy a car without CarPlay. Sorry. I like using my podcast app, my music app, my maps app.

“Google Maps! And you just use Bluetooth and…”

Sorry. Literally every other car on the market has CarPlay. I’m not sure why Tesla has refused for 7 years now, but like a few other things it’s non-negotiable for me.

EVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
spark EV.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
What marketing???
1. Tesla referral program. Customers bite their lips and praise the car to earn the referral bonus. Tesla was like the Amway of cars. Used to be $1000 per referral IIRC. Free wheels, free superchargers, etc.
2. Hundreds of youtubers promoting Teslas so they can earn varous rewards and invitations to Tesla parties. Like the promised free Roadster that still didn't come out after 4 years of announcement and probably never will.
3. Now it is marketing through Hertz on TV etc.. God only knows at what kind of deal Tesla gave Hertz to buy so many cars.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I really really really like my Mach-E GT's B&O sound system. Is the Tesla's system significantly better or marginally better? What kind of music were you listening to on the test drive?
The 3 and Y are slightly better. The BMW i4 is step above those two. The Model S is a step above the BMW i4 and the BMW iX is like fucking redonkuclous.

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I will say our Model 3s sound system was significantly better than the Mach E, it’s not even close
This is true. Except Tesla then ruined it by limiting built in Spotify to 96kbps, even if you pay for the premium connectivity package. So much for good tech.
Sponsored