I was told yesterday the wait is 24 weeks. Seriously?

NCSolarFarmer

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Ram 2500 & 3500, old Leaf, Chrysler 300
Country flag
I realize a lot of Mach-E potential customers have been waiting a long time. It's May 25, 2021, six weeks until the end of 2021Q2. Ford's latest 10-Q (quarterly SEC filing) filed a few weeks ago, under "ITEM 2. Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations", says (all emphasis is mine):

RECENT DEVELOPMENTS

The automotive industry continues to face a significant shortage of semiconductors, which has presented challenges and production disruptions globally, including at our assembly plants. Our initial outlook was for semiconductor supply chains to remain constrained through the second quarter of 2021, and we would have an opportunity to begin recovering lost volumes in the second half of 2021. However, the industry faced another setback on March 19, 2021, when Renesas Electronics Corporation, a key supplier of semiconductors for the automotive industry, experienced a significant fire at its Naka Factory. Renesas estimates that it will return to full capacity at its Naka Factory in July. Based on the overall recovery rate we are seeing for the industry, we now believe the automotive semiconductor shortage may not be fully resolved until 2022. For additional information regarding the semiconductor shortage, see the Outlook section on page 56.

Then, on page 56,

In February 2021, we estimated that there was the potential for an adverse impact of 10% to 20% on our volume for the first half of 2021 due to the growing semiconductor shortage. Further, we believed that the risk had the potential to reduce our original full-year guidance, which was to deliver adjusted EBIT of $8 billion to $9 billion, by $1 billion to $2.5 billion, net of recoveries and some production make-up in the second half of the year. Including the impact of the fire at Renesas, we now expect to lose about 50% of our planned production in the second quarter of 2021, an increase from the 17% loss in the first quarter of 2021. The second quarter is expected to be the trough for our performance this year. For the second half of 2021, we expect to lose about 10% of our planned production.

Well, 24 weeks out is mid 2021Q4. Is that realistic? I'm not sure. One dealer I talked to said of the chip shortage priority (I'm paraphrasing): 'chip deliveries goes to other vehicles (like the F-150), not the Mach-E. '

Ford expects to make 50,000 Mach-E cars in 2021. If we assume 50% are delivered outside the US and that each Ford dealership (7500 globally) retains one car on average, there would be only 17,500 Mach-E deliveries to US customers in 2021. So I expect delivery for my order that I placed a few days ago to, in reality, be in the first part of 2022, maybe the first half of 2022.

I guess this is why dealers are adding $5,000 to the price. They can and they know it. Not that this practice is right, but dealers need to make money to exist.

I was going to say this is not a good new product roll-out by Ford. But in the EV space, I think it's par for the course. I'm not complaining, just pointing out reality.
Sponsored

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
It is possible things have changed, but it wasn’t hard a few months ago to cut the line by buying a cancelled order off the lot. Even at MSRP or x-plan, and even most desired configurations if you were willing to expand your search radius.

I don’t really get the people waiting for months to get their orders - unless they’re not in a big rush to plunk down the cash.

Sy546

First Name
Sy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E, '20 Evora GT, '19 Velar, 07 S2k
Occupation
Business
Country flag
What I don't understand is why it's so hard to get a build order but I was able to walk into the dealer 2 weeks ago and buy an incoming car immediately. My dealer had a few to pick from incoming and a few unsold on the lot

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
What I don't understand is why it's so hard to get a build order but I was able to walk into the dealer 2 weeks ago and buy an incoming car immediately. My dealer had a few to pick from incoming and a few unsold on the lot
It's not hard at all to get a build order. You just have to wait your turn. Part of the problem now is that Mach E orders are running into GT orders. The line can only produce cars so fast.

OP
OP
NCSolarFarmer

NCSolarFarmer

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Ram 2500 & 3500, old Leaf, Chrysler 300
Country flag
I (or my significant other) have contacted about every dealer in a 150 mile radius. I think we are at 11 now. At least where I am (central NC) the "advertised" cars end up being what some dealers have referred to as "mannequins", meaning the ads/cars are there for sales leads vs. sales. Maybe this is regional phenomenon?

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum; 2021 Mach E Premium
Country flag
I ordered a F-150 on 1/7, it was produced on 3/19, and it has being sitting on Ramp59 in Dearborn Michigan waiting for chips. No word on when it will be delivered.

In April we started to look at the Mach-E for my wife. I called a bunch of the dealers in the area. I found one dealer in the middle of no where +40 miles away. They had Premium Mach-E w/ AWD STD Range in Transit. I tracked it from Mexico all the way to Dealer, then we picked it up. They said they have a few Mach-E Selects on the lot as everyone wants a Premium. The Extended range are even harder to find. Things are going to get worst before they get better. We got extremely lucky with the Mach-E, though I have no luck on my F-150.

The Mach-E gets a lot of attention, but the F-150 keeps the lights on in Michigan. Even though Ford makes higher margins on the F-150 and sells a lot of them, they still have issues producing high end trims, due to the shortage. My dealer has no new F-150s on the lot. They are more frustrated than I am.

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
It's not hard at all to get a build order. You just have to wait your turn. Part of the problem now is that Mach E orders are running into GT orders. The line can only produce cars so fast.
Better than our wait which was over 70 weeks give or take. I would have been happy with 24 weeks.

BasicSaber

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E 4X, 2015 Mustang V6
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
It's unfortunate, but makes sense with everything considered (chip shortage, GT production ramp ups, COVID, etc)

I ended up spending the last month or so monitoring the incoming stock of Mach-Es for my local dealership and others in the area. Most of the time, the model I was interested in would be snatched away by someone else who was quicker to the draw. And whenever my dealer found something available, it was something I did not want (either my least favorite color, Select trim, and/or standard AWD)

After realizing we were getting nowhere fast, my local dealer told me to do a custom order instead (wish I did this a lot sooner lol)

If it comes down to it, I would be ok with the 24+ weeks. I just really hope it comes before end of year so I can file the car in next year's tax return. ?

deadduck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No
Country flag
Model Y's are showing 3 - 13 weeks.

MME's do occasionally popup on dealer lots but I'd say that just because the Ford site say's it's at a dealer, that doesn't actually mean it's at the dealer. Also, lots of stock photos on the Ford dealer websites, which rarely match the Ford site itself for inventory.

The MME is a good car but it's not perfect and maybe something else could work too? For me, maybe, a Hyundai Tuscon PHEV (which might not show up any sooner than a MME), would be better because it at least could manage a dirt road with some deeper irregularities, wouldn't need a L2 charger, electric for at least half my commute, and gas for longer road trips. Best of all worlds, maybe?

Or, just throw down on the $500 and wait.

Sy546

First Name
Sy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business
Country flag
I (or my significant other) have contacted about every dealer in a 150 mile radius. I think we are at 11 now. At least where I am (central NC) the "advertised" cars end up being what some dealers have referred to as "mannequins", meaning the ads/cars are there for sales leads vs. sales. Maybe this is regional phenomenon?
No clue, my dealer on Long Island, NY had 5 different standard range cars in stock for sale and 2 extended ranges incoming. I took the incoming ER. Also 2 other dealers on LI called me saying they had cars at MSRP as well.

Sy546

First Name
Sy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Business
Country flag
Model Y's are showing 3 - 13 weeks.

MME's do occasionally popup on dealer lots but I'd say that just because the Ford site say's it's at a dealer, that doesn't actually mean it's at the dealer. Also, lots of stock photos on the Ford dealer websites, which rarely match the Ford site itself for inventory.

The MME is a good car but it's not perfect and maybe something else could work too? For me, maybe, a Hyundai Tuscon PHEV (which might not show up any sooner than a MME), would be better because it at least could manage a dirt road with some deeper irregularities, wouldn't need a L2 charger, electric for at least half my commute, and gas for longer road trips. Best of all worlds, maybe?

Or, just throw down on the $500 and wait.
PHEVs are a totally different beast than BEVs. Just depends on your use case.

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Most of the country is just a relatively cheap one-way plane ticket away. Hop on AutoTrader and expand your search. I flew 500mi to Colorado for mine. Many listings don’t really exist, but it only took me about a dozen inquiries to find what I wanted.
Sponsored