mamejunkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach-E '21, Premium Mach-E '22
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Is there a Mach-E's graph of the charge for comparison? For someone like me that isn't familiar, I can't figure out what part of it we should wish for?

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
Really impressive charging curve when compared to the Mach-E. I wonder if the extra chiller in the tow package would have any affect on this.

AhardFSU

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
The Lighting has that charging curved bc larger battery packs can take a more elevated charge larger versus smaller batter packs.

Having watched two MME charging videos today and looking at the curve for the Lighting, both vehicles are in the same ballpark for KWh once you get to 80% and higher.

The MME extended range with the updated charging software is somewhere around 45kwh at 80% while the MME standard range is around 35kwh at 80%. Once you get to 91.5% the extended range MME drops to something like 35kwh and the standard range goes to approximately 25kwh.

RyZt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4X
Country flag
Is there a Mach-E's graph of the charge for comparison? For someone like me that isn't familiar, I can't figure out what part of it we should wish for?
See this other post: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/revised-charging-curve-video-and-data.17121/

I wish MME had F-150’s charge curve
The shapes of the curves aren't exactly the same. However, for practical purposes, I feel like the shape difference doesn't matter that much. What's definitely different is that Mach E appears like roughly 2/3 of Lightning throughout the curve.

This isn't all that surprising considering that ER Mach E has 91 kWh usable, compared to ER Lightning's 131 kWh usable. That's roughly 2/3. This is consistent with the two vehicles having roughly the same 10-80% charging time.

I wonder if the extra chiller in the tow package would have any affect on this.
I think it probably has more to do with the battery size.

Mathington

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium SR AWD
Country flag
I would love to see the Mach-E 4X vs the SR Lightning. Both batteries are about 91-99kWh usable capacity so it may be a better comparison based on battery capacity.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
For a truck, the F-150 is not charging very fast. Hummer and Silverado will go at 350kw at the lower end of SOC. And the Hummer stays above 200kw out to at least 60%.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
For a truck, the F-150 is not charging very fast. Hummer and Silverado will go at 350kw at the lower end of SOC. And the Hummer stays above 200kw out to at least 60%.
KW is really the wrong measure of charging speed for batteries of vastly different sizes. Apples to apples the comparison I think would be % of battery Kwh capacity as the vertical axis, time as the horizontal axis. MME caps out at 1.5C The Lightning appears to do the same. In that sense the Ford batteries charge rather similarly.

Consider that the hummer burns ~ more than twice as much energy to move a given distance as my MME... it better charge faster because drains the batteries so fast.

Hummer 47 MPGE
Lightning 68 MPGE
MME 100 MPGE (SR RWD)

OP
OP
silverelan

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
See this other post: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/revised-charging-curve-video-and-data.17121/

The shapes of the curves aren't exactly the same. However, for practical purposes, I feel like the shape difference doesn't matter that much. What's definitely different is that Mach E appears like roughly 2/3 of Lightning throughout the curve.

This isn't all that surprising considering that ER Mach E has 91 kWh usable, compared to ER Lightning's 131 kWh usable. That's roughly 2/3. This is consistent with the two vehicles having roughly the same 10-80% charging time.

the SR and ER packs are 3 minutes apart on 10-80% times, 38 and 41 mins, respectively.

the ER pack still has such a wonky charge profile from 0-80% with basically a 20 minute timer for the fastest charging. You’ll always get 30% in 15 mins and 40% in 20 mins, then it settles in to finish off the charge between 75-80kW up to 80%.

I wish we had those power levels thru the course of the charge from 0-80%, we’d be rocking it on road trips.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
oh I'm sure we'll get a nice mid-cycle refresh of the MME in about 2 years that uses similar batteries, motors, and thermal strategies ..... hopefully just in time for my Ford Options financing end of term.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
KW is really the wrong measure of charging speed for batteries of vastly different sizes. Apples to apples the comparison I think would be % of battery Kwh capacity as the vertical axis, time as the horizontal axis. MME caps out at 1.5C The Lightning appears to do the same. In that sense the Ford batteries charge rather similarly.

Consider that the hummer burns ~ more than twice as much energy to move a given distance as my MME... it better charge faster because drains the batteries so fast.

Hummer 47 MPGE
Lightning 68 MPGE
MME 100 MPGE (SR RWD)
My MME will add 6 mile/min, which is about what the F-150 will do. When I get my Hummer it will be 9 mile/min. That is what counts

Sam2084

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 CR-V, E4X Ordered
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag

Naturally it will charge faster due to its 30+% larger battery, but that’s not the whole story. For practical purposes the shape is what matters specifically the area under the curve, and the Lightning’s flat curve is definitely better than the MMEs. Not sure if it’s cooling, battery design, or software limited.
Sponsored