Ice Problem! Charging port door wouldn’t close!

Luda07

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E and Explorer Sport
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
I was at a hotel for work overnight in Denver when a snowstorm hit during the night. I had the car departure time set for the charging port that the Hilton graciously provided for free (240V) and was pleased to see the windows had melted and the car was fully charged (to 90% of course)...but then...I could not close the charging port door! The snow/ice mix had frozen all over the inside of the charging port door including the hole that the plunger goes into and I couldn’t get it shut! Running tight on my schedule I quickly used my bare hands (didn’t want to go nuts with the scraper on a fragile looking door) and, like a badger, clawed out the ice.
Big deal, no, is there a solution to this...maybe some sort of cover you could Velcro around the end of the charging cable to wrap around the opening and hold the door inside as well?

My Ford provided clear bra and ceramic were CLUTCH by the way in those conditions! Also, handled the ice/snow/slush like a champ with the AWD. Very impressed.

The picture was after I got home so you can’t see the ice on it, but what’s a post without a picture of a MME?!
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ice Problem! Charging port door wouldn’t close! 739DADAC-7BFD-4C15-B73D-3572BB33679C

Something like this, but with a flared opening towards the car to surround the door/port area. Don’t know how to attach it to the body but maybe with Velcro it would hold close enough to help.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Ice Problem! Charging port door wouldn’t close! 27C739A1-A6E1-432D-BECD-28DF503FC665

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
Last edited:
OP
OP
Luda07

Luda07

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
My wife just solved the problem!!! Horse Bell Boots. For the Mustang!!! Get it...? It’s too good :) Might be a bit small, Ford needs to make one of these the right size for that $16 price point!

Ford Mustang Mach-E Ice Problem! Charging port door wouldn’t close! C50E6C44-4B7F-491B-82D0-CE2BBA2AF426

Last edited:
OP
OP
Luda07

Luda07

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
Last edited:

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
I don’t think this would work? The hood and fenders are not magnetic on the Mach-E. Or does it just sit on the cable. If so that would work.

I found this on the website. Looks like it won’t work.

The ECO-DOME fits most electrical and hybrid vehicles, but not the ones made of aluminium, plastic or polymer side panels because the magnets won’t work on these.

Last edited:

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
Normally you could make a drape and keep it in place with sewn-in magnets, but the closest steel parts are the door and A-pillar. You could use the hood to pinch something in place??

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I don’t think this would work? The hood and fenders are not magnetic on the Mach-E. Or does it just sit on the cable. If so that would work.

I found this on the website. Looks like it won’t work.

The ECO-DOME fits most electrical and hybrid vehicles, but not the ones made of aluminium, plastic or polymer side panels because the magnets won’t work on these.
Yeah, I found that out the hard way. My wife got me the ecodome for christmas as at the time I had no idea the quarter panel was aluminum. By the time I got my car it was long past the return time. It's a shame since the ecodome would otherwise be perfect for the job

stmache

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach-e GTP, 2017 Ford Mustang EB
Occupation
IT Manager, Photographer
Country flag
Yeah, I found that out the hard way. My wife got me the ecodome for christmas as at the time I had no idea the quarter panel was aluminum. By the time I got my car it was long past the return time. It's a shame since the ecodome would otherwise be perfect for the job
I checked with Alex Industries and they confirmed this. If nothing better shows up by the Fall, I'll be getting the Ma Capuche one.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Even with the protective cover if the temps get cold enough do you guys think the door would close? Or just freeze in place? Just curious.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Even with the protective cover if the temps get cold enough do you guys think the door would close? Or just freeze in place? Just curious.
Ford's been making doors like this for a looooong time. Has your gas car's filler door froze in place?

OP
OP
Luda07

Luda07

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
I think the odds of freezing under a cover would be near zero since the cover should keep most of the moisture out.
Sponsored