Ice Problem! Charging port door wouldn’t close!

OP
OP
Luda07

Luda07

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E and Explorer Sport
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
I think Jamiegeek is saying that with a car cover on fuel doors don’t freeze shut, so the same would be true with a car cover on the MME. If the cover is on and the door is shut I don’t think it would freeze shut.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Even with the protective cover if the temps get cold enough do you guys think the door would close? Or just freeze in place? Just curious.
The ecodome at least covers the door too, so would keep moisture off the hinge and thus stop it from freezing. Without a cover like the ecodome it is possible enough water could get in to freeze it open. My plan to deal with that is just not to charge overnight in freezing rain/icy conditions and just work from home the next day if I didn't have enough of a charge.

I think I'll just keep a can of de-icer spray in the frunk.
A good backup plan

Ford's been making doors like this for a looooong time. Has your gas car's filler door froze in place?
I think it's different with the door open for a prolonged period because the water could easily get in behind the hinges.

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
This might sound crazy, but since there was a charger there, was there a 110V outlet too? Get a blow dryer and plug it in and point it at the frozen parts to thaw them out enough to close it. Just a thought.

OP
OP
Luda07

Luda07

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
The ecodome at least covers the door too, so would keep moisture off the hinge and thus stop it from freezing. Without a cover like the ecodome it is possible enough water could get in to freeze it open. My plan to deal with that is just not to charge overnight in freezing rain/icy conditions and just work from home the next day if I didn't have enough of a charge.

A good backup plan

I think it's different with the door open for a prolonged period because the water could easily get in behind the hinges.
But, if your employer requires you to work not at home it’d be nice to have an option! I think I’m going to try to find the biggest horse bell cover possible and see if I can get it around the door. Then it’d be easy and fast to Velcro as long as it can hold tight to the cord (looks like that $105 model would take a minute or two to strap on). I’ll post an update with results.

OP
OP
Luda07

Luda07

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
This might sound crazy, but since there was a charger there, was there a 110V outlet too? Get a blow dryer and plug it in and point it at the frozen parts to thaw them out enough to close it. Just a thought.
Well, it was still snowing heavily and I’d have been standing in a large puddle of snow/ice/water with a hairdryer! Probably wouldn’t get shocked, but I think there would be some footage of me on the intrawebs highlighting the woes of MME owners!

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
But, if your employer requires you to work not at home it’d be nice to have an option!
well sure, that is a different case. Ideally a cover would be best, but unless it seals to the car like the magnetic flap of the ecodome water will still get in to the charging port. If you are fortunate enough to have a DCFC station nearby then you could just charge there on your way home if the conditions are bad. Worst case you could put a tarp over the car also, but that's probably not a very good solution either.

OP
OP
Luda07

Luda07

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
well sure, that is a different case. Ideally a cover would be best, but unless it seals to the car like the magnetic flap of the ecodome water will still get in to the charging port. If you are fortunate enough to have a DCFC station nearby then you could just charge there on your way home if the conditions are bad. Worst case you could put a tarp over the car also, but that's probably not a very good solution either.
All good thoughts.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I don't plan to charge outside.... but maybe you can check out a 'vent boot' commonly used as a roof flashing. They come in all sizes, are cheap, and available in any local hardware store. You could even keep it in your MME, and slip it on over a hotel charge plug when travelling?!

https://www.amsisupply.com/product/dektite-silicone-pipe-boots/?

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
The super simple solution on the road in a snowstorm would be to 'drape' a hotel towel over the fender/charge handle, and close the end of the towel under the hood to keep it in place..... actually, btter than a towel, maybe a cloth/plastic grocery bag! HHHHmmmmmm.......

Another good reason to have a re-usable grocery bag in the car!! t would work in a pinch to prevent ice/snow from piling in the charge port.

WeatherDrape.jpg

Last edited:

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Still you don't think Ford didn't put one of the prototypes in an environmental chamber overnight charging with the door open (at least once)?? Not to mention the winter testing at the UP--they announced the car over a year ago--they had a winter to go through before selling the cars to us. Give them some credit LOL.

I've left all our plugins outside charging in winter at some point and haven't had any big issues (this includes Focus Electric, C-Max Energi, Bolt and now the Mach-E). Sometimes after a largeish snowfall event (2"+ in some cases although I don't think we've got a 2"+ since I've had the Mach-E). Typically I just brush off all the snow with my hand, remove the plug, and attempt to close the door. Sometimes, yes, it takes extra effort to clear a bit of ice (sometimes the handle does get warm enough to melt the snow during charging and then when charging stops it freezes again) but I've always been able to close the door.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Still you don't think Ford didn't put one of the prototypes in an environmental chamber overnight charging with the door open (at least once)?? Not to mention the winter testing at the UP--they announced the car over a year ago--they had a winter to go through before selling the cars to us. Give them some credit LOL.

I've left all our plugins outside charging in winter at some point and haven't had any big issues (this includes Focus Electric, C-Max Energi, Bolt and now the Mach-E). Sometimes after a largeish snowfall event (2"+ in some cases although I don't think we've got a 2"+ since I've had the Mach-E). Typically I just brush off all the snow with my hand, remove the plug, and attempt to close the door. Sometimes, yes, it takes extra effort to clear a bit of ice (sometimes the handle does get warm enough to melt the snow during charging and then when charging stops it freezes again) but I've always been able to close the door.
Undoubtedly they did do testing like that. They also tested P&C, Paak, the Fordpass app... ?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Undoubtedly they did do testing like that. They also tested P&C, Paak, the Fordpass app... ?
Indeed: All of which involve software.

A charge door involves hardware, specifically automotive hardware something that they have been building for 100 years.....

Yeah ok: Its a door and I've been beating the horse for 3 posts now ! LOL I'm done.
Sponsored