If I ignore the tech, will I be happier?

Jeff_S

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT Performance
Country flag
Hi everyone- I'm reading the forum daily while awaiting my GE-PE build (week of 8/22- fingers crossed!).

I'm driving a 2006 BMW Z4M right now (great fun as a pandemic car with the minimal traffic last year), so the tech is pretty limited.

I'm thus used to carrying a key (no pushbutton start), for example.

My previous car (2017 VW GTI) had wired Apple CarPlay, which was great, but it didn't have any ADAS features, memory seats, or other such niceties. Again- I didn't want to get too dependent on nice tech.

If I don't use PaaK, and I employ wired CarPlay, and otherwise basically ignore the tech features as much as possible, does that eliminate most of the day-to-day issues people have?

I will say that the buzzing display would drive me nuts and would be a deal-breaker, so I hope that they have that ironed out by the time my build takes place.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
If you just set it up the way you like it and drive it you'll be fine.

I don't use PAAK as it never has worked and I haven't really been wanting to use it (hence I haven't had the PAAK recall/update done on it--waiting for that to come OTA).

If you don't fiddle with it it is pretty consistent. Wireless Android Auto worked flawlessly when I had it on (turned it off because I really wasn' t using any of its features).

I just get in it and drive and it has always worked.

RidingwithScotty

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD SR aka Scotty
Country flag
I'd say that if you limit dependence on software (PAAK mainly since I don't use CarPlay) you'll probably love the car! It's hard to avoid the app for some things if you don't have a smart EVSE (I charge using the included cord and a 240 14-50 outlet and monitor using FordPass); haven't had an issue with the memory seat/mirror settings really. The waiting and following Scotty on the train home was the worst part! Still slightly annoyed with having to purchase a 2nd fob but that's bad on Ford for not shipping these cars with 2.

Again, I'm just one person very in love with my car.

TJ-Mach-e

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Merc S550, 2021 MME AWD ER
Country flag
To me its weird to see everyone complaining about PaaK. However for those who share their car with someone else then they have a legitimate complaint about the fact that Ford only gave them one key. All the second keys to my vehicles go in a drawer and never get used.

When I bought my vehicle I never setup or attempted to use Paak for the first two weeks of ownership because of what I read. But I have been using it for the last week and in just one week it works just fine. At times it doesn't work as it should and I see the frustration with it because it doesn't work as expected 100% of the time.

But yes... If the fact that it has flaws... then just don't use it. I did not buy the car for Paak, if Paak was not available I would have still bought it. For the first two weeks I acted as if Paak was not even available on my Mach-e and I was happy.

Scarpia

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infinite Blue Premium, Standard Range, RWD
Country flag
If I don't use PaaK, and I employ wired CarPlay, and otherwise basically ignore the tech features as much as possible, does that eliminate most of the day-to-day issues people have?
This is exactly how I operate and I'm loving the car.
I could care less about PaaK and prefer to use a fob (although PO'd because I had to buy a second fob).
I don't use FordPass for anything.
I don't use the built-in NAV (Apple Maps/CarPlay works just fine).
I'm not having any issues to speak of.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
Only use Android Auto wired on longer trips and set up PaaK just for the start code.

FOB life is good. Only time I go into Fordpass is to charge the car to 100% before a trip.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Here's my view. Every car I've bought, except for this one and the one prior, had very little tech. When we got the blue screen of death with our computers, we didn't throw them out. We didn't swear "death to Bill Gates" (well, maybe I did once or twice ;) ).

I didn't buy the Mach-E for tech. I think the screen poorly fits in the design of the vehicle. I bought the Mach-E for the following reasons:

1) Wanted an EV for our next car.
2) Wife has always wanted a red Corvette for retirement. Instead she got a red Mach-E.

Ford sucks at technology in my experience. Never got one OTA update with our Fusion Energi in 3 years (just got our first on the Mach-E yesterday, nearly had a coronary). Ford has bet the company on EVs, and will succeed. Or die trying. And we get A-Plan...

Last edited:

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Here's my view. Every car I've bought, except for this one and the one prior, had very little tech. When we got the blue screen of death with our computers, we didn't throw them out. We didn't swear "death to Bill Gates" (well, maybe I did once or twice ;) ).

I didn't but the Mach-E for tech. I think the screen poorly fits in the design of the vehicle. I bought the Mach-E for the following reasons:

1) Wanted an EV for our next car.
2) Wife has always wanted a red Corvette for retirement. Instead she got a red Mach-E.

Ford sucks at technology in my experience. Never got one OTA update with our Fusion Energi in 3 years (just got our first on the Mach-E yesterday, nearly had a coronary). Ford has bet the company on EVs, and will succeed. Or die trying. And we get A-Plan...
Considering that the Mach-E is the first Ford that supports OTA updates its no surprise that your Fusion didn't.

(Yes I know the Sync system was supposed to be able to update itself via WiFi but it never did.)

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Considering that the Mach-E is the first Ford that supports OTA updates its no surprise that your Fusion didn't.

(Yes I know the Sync system was supposed to be able to update itself via WiFi but it never did.)
You should have a coronary if the Fusion does get an OTA, lol.

Joelalt

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Hi everyone- I'm reading the forum daily while awaiting my GE-PE build (week of 8/22- fingers crossed!).

I'm driving a 2006 BMW Z4M right now (great fun as a pandemic car with the minimal traffic last year), so the tech is pretty limited.

I'm thus used to carrying a key (no pushbutton start), for example.

My previous car (2017 VW GTI) had wired Apple CarPlay, which was great, but it didn't have any ADAS features, memory seats, or other such niceties. Again- I didn't want to get too dependent on nice tech.

I will say that the buzzing display would drive me nuts and would be a deal-breaker, so I hope that they have that ironed out by the time my build takes place.

Thanks for your thoughts!
I've been driving my Premium Ext AWD since the middle of February. Except for a few PAAK issues I've had no problems. No buzzing either. Don't fret, wait then enjoy. I've never enjoyed driving a car as much as this.

greenaero

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford MME gray , Mazda Cx5, Honda CBR250R
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Country flag
No screen buzzing and except for the first 3 days my key fob sits in a drawer for emergency use. PAAK can be finicky occasionally but it has never not worked after playing with it. I have more issues with my Iphone than the MME. Its a great car , maybe the best I've ever owned.

NJDevFan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME Premium ER, '19 Highlander Hybrid
Country flag
I took delivery of my car just over a week ago. I'd been following the forum since last Fall and took delivery of the car aware of all of the "issues". I was hesitant but from my experience so far, I have not had any (significant) issues. No screen buzz, PaaK has been reliable, Plug + Charge works fine, maybe some slight wind noise if I'm being picky and an occasional screen delay. Range has well exceeded my expectations as well.

The car has been fantastic in most every way. It was worth the wait.

OP
OP

Jeff_S

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT Performance
Country flag
Thank you, everyone, for your quick and useful replies.

I'm not buying this for the tech. I'm buying it for the drivetrain and the chassis.

I plan to buy a second fob if my wife decides she enjoys driving the Mach-E. Right now, I only have one working "remote key" for the Z4M, and it's been fine.

Electric whine drives me nuts and gives me a headache. (A Tesla Model 3 that I test-drove had a drivetrain whine that I couldn't tolerate.) My previous EV, a 2015 BMW i3, was great in that regard, as the motor was very quiet. That was a great car in many ways and I'm ready for another EV. Its app was horrible, though. I figured that out quickly and just didn't use it.

If I use a simple EVSE, like a Clipper Creek, without time-of-day charging (we have a flat rate 24/7 where I live), I don't even have to set up the app, correct?

mach_e_hopeful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
Wireless android auto triggered a high voltage battery warning for me. I freaked out, the music I was playing and the navigation was heavily distorted. This happened when I got in the car before driving off the lot.

I turned off wireless android auto and have never had a problem with wired. I'm not turning it back on since the warning freaked me out.

The only thing that makes me want to trade this car in is the Insane buzzing noise from the infotainment. I've learned to mentally focus and tune it out. I don't like music so loud so I have to hear it. But I'm getting better at ignoring it, though I relapse every once in a while and imagine trading the car in for an e tron. But I love it so much. I've considered ear plugs in the car but seems like a safety issue. May also put a dome on top of the driver cluster so I can stop hearing that noise.

I also found that I loved the car more when I stopped using Paak. I looked like a fool standing next to my door smashing the door button 10 times or so. I was trying to figure it out so didn't want to type in the door code. Also had trouble starting the car and had to use my passcode. This isn't worth it for a car this expensive so now I bring the key fob everywhere and it's stress free now, like it was supposed to be.
Sponsored