dmitry

First Name
dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Looking to the today’s market in mid-size/small SUV (Hybrid, PHEV) I found out for me there’s no Mach-E competitors by exterior/interior design, tech and price. Most of them are overpriced, outdated or overpriced and outdated. Am I Mach-E addictive or I just missing something? If not a Mach-E, what to buy today?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Quadzilla

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E CA Route 1
Country flag
I was also considering an Ioniq 5 at the time when I was in the market (late 2021, early 2022). In terms of size, they are actually fairly comparable. The Ioniq 5/EV6 has a better charging system than the Mach-E but lower range because of the smaller battery. The pricing at the time was better for though. You could get the top of the line trim level for less than the price of a Mach-E Premium (Ford had just raised their prices.) At the time though, they had closed their ordering bank so went with the Mach-E. Super happy with my choice but I think I would have been happy with the Ioniq 5 too.

Don't plan to sell my car at all but if for some reason I needed a replacement, I might wait and size up to the Kia EV7 that is supposed to be coming out this year.

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
If not the Mach-E then I definitely would have just bought a performance oriented ICE vehicle that can haul a family of 4 plus a dog.... like an Audi wagon.

An alternative would be to just buy a mini-van and a true RWD sports coupe with a 6 speed manual.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
My original plan was to buy a 2022 Lincoln Corsair Black Label (I know - does not exist. I was hoping 😀). Then I saw the webcast in November 2019 and started begging Ford to take my money the first week of December 2019 (I’m slow to make these kinds of decisions 😀).

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
A Mustang Mach-E was the only choice; I wouldn't trade it for any other vehicle out there.

If it didn't exist...I don't think we would have bought anything.
I'm going through the options:

Definitely not an ICE of any sort.
If the Sienna was a plug-in hybrid, maybe.
If the 4Runner had a plug-in option, maybe.
If the Tacoma had a plug-in option, but no because we already have a Tacoma and my partner doesn't like to drive it into town because it's too big (also same for the 4Runner).
Maybe the F-150 Lightning, but its price shot up too high too quickly and it went out of our price range. Also, it's too big.
We test drove the ID.4, but it wasn't any good.
Maybe my partner would have ended up buying the Niro. Or maybe the EV6.

Keeperofthe7keys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium
Country flag
Ioniq 5/EV6, if you don't at least look at them idk what you are doing, they set the bar pretty high on the capability of the hardware and feature set. Though they do lack in some areas (namely software). Certainly not for everyone, but I think they are top of the market for the price atm (barring dealer shenanigans).

To be honest if it wasn't for dealer markups and losing the tax credit I would have bought an EV6 before my Mach E got delivered.

OP
OP
dmitry

dmitry

First Name
dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Ioniq 5/EV6, if you don't at least look at them idk what you are doing, they set the bar pretty high on the capability of the hardware and feature set. Though they do lack in some areas (namely software). Certainly not for everyone, but I think they are top of the market for the price atm (barring dealer shenanigans).

To be honest if it wasn't for dealer markups and losing the tax credit I would have bought an EV6 before my Mach E got delivered.
I like EV6 as well, but question is about Hybrids or PHEVs mid-sized SUV.

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I like EV6 as well, but question is about Hybrids or PHEVs mid-sized SUV.
IMO, there is no mid-sized SUV out there that comes close to the Mustang, no matter the power plant.

p_haze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Clarity PHEV, 2021 Ford MME FE
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
Looking to the today’s market in mid-size/small SUV (Hybrid, PHEV) I found out for me there’s no Mach-E competitors by exterior/interior design, tech and price. Most of them are overpriced, outdated or overpriced and outdated. Am I Mach-E addictive or I just missing something? If not a Mach-E, what to buy today?
Isn't the correct answer here RAV4 Prime?

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag
I considered including it in my list...if the Rav4 wasn't built for people shorter than 5'-10" we might have bought one a few years before the Mustang was announced. I was hunched over the steering wheel trying to avoid hitting my head on the ceiling.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
We love our Mach-E, and it will remain our primary vehicle. But when it came time to replace our 2nd car in the household, we decided to order a Bonco Sport. Love the looks, and the true SUV shape (taller, and full-height rear cargo area).

OP
OP
dmitry

dmitry

First Name
dmitry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
IMO, there is no mid-sized SUV out there that comes close to the Mustang, no matter the power plant.
The next and hardest question is how to explain this to my wife 🤣

I like the EV Blazer SS. I’d also consider the Cadillac Lyriq when AWD becomes available.
I expect for others to disagree with this take, but I think the Model Y is the best value outside of the Mach E right now
Unfortunately, she wants PHEV or Hybrid only, no EV ☹

Don’t throw the stones at me but they are ugly.
Sponsored