If not a Mach-E (or other EVs), what to buy today

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
I mentioned this elsewhere - the lack of cargo space and passenger space were the biggest issues even though it was the best EV I’ve owned. I used the Mach-E to haul around family and visiting co workers instead of the i4. The i4 was a weekend toy for auto crossing and track use. It was expensive to insure and barely driven in the last two months I had it.
Which i4 did you have? the 50 or the 40?
Sponsored

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Honestly, I think the range of 250-300 is adequate. It strikes a good balance between weight, price, etc. The infrastructure just needs to catch up.

Msnwcpa

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mme ordered, Lexus hybrid, Toyota hybrid
Occupation
IT
I just (yesterday) drove from Maine to Ohio. Google maps estimates that at a 12.5 hour drive. Actual driving time with rest and gas stops for a 13 year old Prius was 14 hours, but I was going solo; this tip takes longer with kids and dogs. ABRP estimates 15 hours for a Model Y, and 16 for the Mach-E. It estimates 18 hours for my Bz4X, but reality is probably more like 36 hours, which is why I want a Mach-E. A decent EV can road trip. But the tech is new enough that I can understand wanting a more established and predicable vehicle that we can just get into and be confident it will get us where we want to go (note that I currently own a Bz4X, and still am hauling long distance on my 194k mile Prius).
I have a 2009 Prius with 200k+ miles and still gets me over 43miles/gallon.
The 2008 Lexus 400h still gives me over 27mile/gallon.

Took my MME on a 1500 mile trip and it's in the shop now as the dash does not work 😭.

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Which i4 did you have? the 50 or the 40?
40 with M-Sport (adaptive suspension).

I did autocross the M50 twice at different events. Definitely faster but not worth the approx $15K price difference.

Electric Goat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-E GT
Occupation
3x HVBJB Failure Tester
Country flag
If not the Mach-E then I definitely would have just bought a performance oriented ICE vehicle that can haul a family of 4 plus a dog.... like an Audi wagon.

An alternative would be to just buy a mini-van and a true RWD sports coupe with a 6 speed manual.
I'd also take a new 2024 Ranger Raptor 🤤
Sponsored