Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Would you want a shorter gear for quicker acceleration, a taller gear for higher top speed, or a taller gear for better highway range?

Me? I’d like to go a little taller for range.

Discuss.
Sponsored

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Livewire prius prime Mach e. In 3 weeks if it was built yesterday
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What makes you think taller would give more Range?

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I'll punt and say if they ever decide to add transmissions to EVs, until charging gets a lot faster and charging stations much more common, it would be great if they added a super tall gear for highway cruising to maximize range.

Wolfpackmache

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache
Country flag
having a transmission is almost counter point to the "simplicity" design of EVs removing the gear box, and with the size of battery, idk where the space would be. You would also lose efficiency as more mechanical things are added. I personally think as most EVs havnt done this yet means they all realize that its not worth the cost and if they keep doing R&D on single drive motors that their technology will improve and cost will reduce faster and null out the need.

OP
OP
JoeDimwit

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
having a transmission is almost counter point to the "simplicity" design of EVs removing the gear box, and with the size of battery, idk where the space would be. You would also lose efficiency as more mechanical things are added. I personally think as most EVs havnt done this yet means they all realize that its not worth the cost and if they keep doing R&D on single drive motors that their technology will improve and cost will reduce faster and null out the need.
There is already a transmission there. It is a single speed. I am suggesting that it should be possible to change the final drive ratio without fundamentally changing the vehicle.

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Actually the Porsche Taycan has a 2 speed gearbox in it which is part of the reason it can do 0-60 in something like 2.5 seconds.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
Electric motors have a much wider efficiency "sweet spot" than ICE engines do - a taller final drive wouldn't necessarily add more range, because running at lower RPMs isn't necessarily more efficient for the motor. I'm sure we can start taking some efficiency measurements soon, but I don't think you'd gain anything with a different final drive ratio.

I'm personally glad that there isn't a 2 speed gearbox. A lot of complexity, cost, weight and reliability-loss for a very minor benefit. Makes sense on a "no holds barred" car like the Taycan, but not really a practical choice.

Wolfpackmache

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mache
Country flag
Actually the Porsche Taycan has a 2 speed gearbox in it which is part of the reason it can do 0-60 in something like 2.5 seconds.
But the price of the taycan was more my point, not that it's impossible, but clearly at this point the mass manufacturer of affordable cars don't see it as worth it

OP
OP
JoeDimwit

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
But the price of the taycan was more my point, not that it's impossible, but clearly at this point the mass manufacturer of affordable cars don't see it as worth it
But, I’m not talking about a 2 speed gearbox. I’m talking about changing the gear ratio in the 1 speed gearbox that’s already there.
Sponsored