If you like PAAK, you’ll love PAAGDO (Phone As A Garage Door Opener)

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Hmm I knew someone that had that funcitonality at least 10 years ago?

They had a proximity detect when their phone was within X feet of the house it would open the garage.

txaggies07

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE FE Rapid Red
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I have done this at various times in the past, but now stick to just pushing the button in CarPlay to open the garage when I'm about one street over.

I have a myQ thingy to connect to my garage door ($25). I have that running into a home bridge server on my Mac mini. That gives me plenty of optionality. When I had it automated I was using something other than home bridge, but it was still quite easy to setup.

OP
OP
Maquis

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Hmm I knew someone that had that funcitonality at least 10 years ago?

They had a proximity detect when their phone was within X feet of the house it would open the garage.
This only operates if both the phone and a paired car are present. Added security layer.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
I have done this at various times in the past, but now stick to just pushing the button in CarPlay to open the garage when I'm about one street over.

I have a myQ thingy to connect to my garage door ($25). I have that running into a home bridge server on my Mac mini. That gives me plenty of optionality. When I had it automated I was using something other than home bridge, but it was still quite easy to setup.
Same, can’t get any easier than pushing the garage door button that pops up on CarPlay when your down the block.
My car stays outside so it’s nice not having the garage door programmed to the homelink.
hass.io and a raspberryPI makes it super easy to bridge most smart devices to HomeKit.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag

I'm thinking about getting a MyQ to use with my HOOBS Homebridge setup, did you have to buy the MyQ bridge as well or just the garage controller? I know when you wanted to use it with HomeKit native you had to buy a separate bridge.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
Phone as a garage door opener (PAAGDO). Opens and closes the door automatically on arrival and departure.

https://gotailwind.com/
I've been doing this for years with Tailwind. It connects to any garage door opener and will open the door as I approach and close it when I leave. Works with Android, iOS, SmartThings, Home Kit, etc. Can control up to 3 garage doors.

https://gotailwind.com/

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I have the MyQ system and have it integrated with SmartThings and Google Home. I have a button on the screen in Android Auto to open the garage door and it works great!

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
Doesn't Tesla have something like this that's supposed to close the garage automatically as soon as you pull out?

Kevin P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MMEGT - sold, '23 BMW i4 M50, various others
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I have a MyQ setup and can open the garage doors with my phone, but I can't see how using a button on a screen would be easier than the homelink buttons on the visor. Plus I am not entirely sure I want the garage door to open without manual input.

RSH

First Name
RSH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Rapid Red Premium ER
Country flag
Doesn't Tesla have something like this that's supposed to close the garage automatically as soon as you pull out?
Yes. Closes when you leave home, opens as you approach home.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
I have the MyQ system and have it integrated with SmartThings and Google Home. I have a button on the screen in Android Auto to open the garage door and it works great!
I have the same setup with my iPhone and it works with HomeKit. The only annoying thing is closing. It flashes the light for about 5 seconds and makes a beeping noise before closing (in case you were away to warn anyone in the path of the door).

My button shows up on CarPlay once I am within a half mile of home.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I have the same setup with my iPhone and it works with HomeKit. The only annoying thing is closing. It flashes the light for about 5 seconds and makes a beeping noise before closing (in case you were away to warn anyone in the path of the door).

My button shows up on CarPlay once I am within a half mile of home.
Yeah that is annoying, but I think its a regulation for having it automated it has to warn that its closing.

Other great feature of having this is being able to have amazon deliver all my packages inside of my garage and kept safe. Totally worth the $20 for the MyQ gateway.

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
Other great feature of having this is being able to have amazon deliver all my packages inside of my garage and kept safe. Totally worth the $20 for the MyQ gateway.
I average over 650 orders per year from Amazon and have never had a package stolen or gone missing. It pays to live in one of the safest cities in America.
Sponsored