If you like PAAK, you’ll love PAAGDO (Phone As A Garage Door Opener)

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I average over 650 orders per year from Amazon and have never had a package stolen or gone missing. It pays to live in one of the safest cities in America.
I've never had one stolen either, but its nice to not worry about it too. Also keeps packages out of the elements if its raining or something.
Sponsored

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Y'all are gonna think I'm crazy. I have LPR scanners on my property that verify the license plate then open or close my gate and garage door based on the plate and phone proximity. I use a custom AI engine with HA, Axis cameras, MyQ on both the garages and gate.

My family and gardener love it because it only opens the gate without having to enter a code or call, no garage access. Just pull up and it opens instantly.

If I'm in a huge hurry I just hit the voice activation button in the car and say "I'm almost home" and it opens ahead of arrival.

There's also another product that I've used in the past that works well called Remootio

There's more than one way to accomplish these things.

Last edited:

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
BTW, DO NOT rely on the closing. I used to use it only to find out that the door was open when I returned. Sometimes something gets in the way and the door reopens. And unless you look at the app you won't know.

Motomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW GLI, 4Runner
Country flag
I have a MyQ setup and can open the garage doors with my phone, but I can't see how using a button on a screen would be easier than the homelink buttons on the visor. Plus I am not entirely sure I want the garage door to open without manual input.
We’ve kind of mixed two methods in this thread.
I agree, the auto opening is not something I would want either. Neither is closing while driving away, I need to see the door close lol.
The HomeKit integration (button on screen) is much more useful than homelink. Security wise, the always on homelink leaves you susceptible to theft if you leave the car outside. The button also shows up much sooner than the remote range (or you can trigger it any time).

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
We’ve kind of mixed two methods in this thread.
I agree, the auto opening is not something I would want either. Neither is closing while driving away, I need to see the door close lol.
The HomeKit integration (button on screen) is much more useful than homelink. Security wise, the always on homelink leaves you susceptible to theft if you leave the car outside. The button also shows up much sooner than the remote range (or you can trigger it any time).
Aside: SmartThings integration also allows a "Close Garage Door" button to be on the screen.

Tim_C

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE GB
Country flag
I'm thinking about getting a MyQ to use with my HOOBS Homebridge setup, did you have to buy the MyQ bridge as well or just the garage controller?
If you're using a Homebridge setup, you don't need the MyQ bridge; Homebridge serves the same purpose as the MyQ bridge. So, you just need the MyQ garage controller.

(My setup uses Homebridge on a Raspberry Pi, but from what I've read the HOOBS Homebridge works the same way; it's connected to your home WiFi and communicates with the MyQ server)

Last edited:

UsernameChecksOut

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Evo X, 2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
Y'all are gonna think I'm crazy. I have LPR scanners on my property that verify the license plate then open or close my gate and garage door based on the plate and phone proximity. I use a custom AI engine with HA, Axis cameras, MyQ on both the garages and gate.

My family and gardener love it because it only opens the gate without having to enter a code or call, no garage access. Just pull up and it opens instantly.

If I'm in a huge hurry I just hit the voice activation button in the car and say "I'm almost home" and it opens ahead of arrival.

There's also another product that I've used in the past that works well called Remootio

There's more than one way to accomplish these things.
Lol, that's... intense.

I take it you did some custom work with ALPR on a server (Raspberry Pi or other) tying into the MyQ APIs?

I have MyQ at home too, but didn't know if they have a public (and secure) API.

Voice control via Alexa, Google or Siri?

Have you tried any home automation with facial recognition or presence detection?

UsernameChecksOut

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I also have MyQ w/ bridge (fantastic and pretty reliable for me). I've got the app on my phone and tied it into Alexa and IFTTT.

But I found that the automatic opening/closing based on arrival and departure really needs to match your lifestyle. I take walks/runs and also do things in the yard that require me to go in and out of the garage not always from the same garage door. It just turned out to be cumbersome to have all that triggered based on my location.

TTT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMC-12, 75 Monza, 17 Volt, 22 MMe Prem. ordered
Occupation
Imagineer
Country flag
I'm using a Garadget with both Google and IFTT integration. It allows me to open and close multiple garage doors by voice command or widget.

For me, I don't want it automatically opening and closing, happy to do it myself.

txaggies07

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE FE Rapid Red
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I'm thinking about getting a MyQ to use with my HOOBS Homebridge setup, did you have to buy the MyQ bridge as well or just the garage controller? I know when you wanted to use it with HomeKit native you had to buy a separate bridge.
Just the garage controller. You need the $20-35 thing, not the additional $80 thing. The $80 thing is the home bridge that lets it talk to HomeKit. That is what hoobs replaces.

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I take it you did some custom work with ALPR on a server (Raspberry Pi or other) tying into the MyQ APIs?
So it's a bit complicated but basically I use the API from Axis cameras. If you've never used Axis before they are one of the most developer friendly cameras out there, but very expensive and you can only get them through authorized sellers (DM me if you want one).

The ML in the camera determines if the plate is on the approval list and what level of approval. It provides historical access as well. The area of interest is either 1 - My gate or 2 - My garage.

Ford Mustang Mach-E If you like PAAK, you’ll love PAAGDO (Phone As A Garage Door Opener) 1642451153781

If it's an allowed plate, which I don't show any of in the picture above, then a series of events are triggered in HA on a RPi4. Geo location of the phone is verified and if the plate and the geolocation match then the gate and garage are opened. This is all controlled through HA and doesn't use the API directly with MyQ.

If there's no match then a series of other events happen. Alexa speaks that there's either a person or vehicle at the gate, based on Object Analytics and then all of the google home hubs (in every room) stream the camera for 30 seconds via Python CATT. If it's dark outside the driveway and entry way lights turn on for 10 minutes.

Voice control via Alexa, Google or Siri?
In the car I use the built in voice control from Google to trigger the opening of the gate and garage. It's just a custom routine. This is the simplest of all things.

Have you tried any home automation with facial recognition or presence detection?
I do both extensively. The cameras send snapshots of detected objects using their onboard ML chips to a docker container on a windows server running deepstack and facebox, depending on the image. Then with the returned data from the AI machine I parse it through HA, determine if the face is recognized and push a notification to my phone with the image stating who it is.

Code:
alias: Process Data from Facial Recognition (with Name) (Duplicate)
description: ''
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: image_processing.deepstack_face_q6315_le_0
condition: []
action:
  - service: notify.mobile_app_pixel_6_pro
    data:
      data:
        image: >-
          {% if is_state('image_processing.deepstack_face_q6315_le_0',
          'unknown') %}
            /media/local/facial_rec/unknown/unknown_face_latest.jpg
          {% else %}
            /media/local/facial_rec/deepstack_face_q6315_le_0_latest.jpg
          {% endif %}
        {% if
          states.image_processing.deepstack_face_q6315_le_0.attributes.total_matched_faces == 0
        %}
          A person
        {% else -%}
          {% for face in
            states.image_processing.deepstack_face_q6315_le_0.attributes.faces
          -%}
            {% if face.confidence > 50 %}
              {% if not face.name == None %}
                {{ face.name }}
                {% if not loop.last %}, {% endif -%}
              {% endif -%}
            {% else %}
              An UNKNOWN face
            {% endif %}
          {%- endfor %}
        {% endif -%}
          was detected in the driveway.
      title: Person in Driveway
mode: single

Last edited:

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Just the garage controller. You need the $20-35 thing, not the additional $80 thing. The $80 thing is the home bridge that lets it talk to HomeKit. That is what hoobs replaces.
Cool just bought it :)

Cjpayne

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Ford Mach E GT. 69 Mustang Convertible, 15 MKX
Occupation
General Manager in manufacturing
Country flag
I have a MyQ setup and can open the garage doors with my phone, but I can't see how using a button on a screen would be easier than the homelink buttons on the visor. Plus I am not entirely sure I want the garage door to open without manual input.
Agreed

blkadr08

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE Premium XR
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm thinking about getting a MyQ to use with my HOOBS Homebridge setup, did you have to buy the MyQ bridge as well or just the garage controller? I know when you wanted to use it with HomeKit native you had to buy a separate bridge.
My opener has a Wi-Fi connection, so the MyQ app works great.

last summer, was in Greece when I remembered that I hadn’t turned my water heater down. When my neighbor texted me that he was at the garage door, I opened it, he turned the WH down and I reclosed it. Great tool.

UsernameChecksOut

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Distance ;)

I hit the phone button or ask Alexa/IFTT from about 500m away so the garage is open when I hit the driveway. Otherwise using Homelink or garage door opener I'd be waiting in my car for the garage door to fully open. It's all about those precious seconds saved!
Sponsored