If you primarily use PAAK and have an outstanding RFA update, get it applied!

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
I have only used PAAK since I got my car back in March. It has worked ok.

Sometimes it worked great, other times I was stuck outside my car pressing the button hoping the car would open the door. I would have to enter the door code and then the car would just start like it always knew I had the phone with me. Or I would get in and then the car would refuse to start. Or I would get in, it would start, and then immediately report no key present. I was never left stranded but it sure did not make my wife comfortable enough to use PAAK so she has always just used the key fob when she takes the car.

This past Thursday I got the courage (and equipment) together to update my car using FDRS. I had such a horrible purchase experience at the dealer I am willing to spend money to update my car rather than visit the service department. I would rather spend money than the dealer get money from Ford for doing warranty work.

The update went well. It took about an hour and a half from opening the hood to closing the hood to apply 9 module updates which applied the HVBJB recall among other fixes. PCM, BECM, OBCC, SOBDM, SOBDMC, DSM, HVAC, WACM, and RFA.

The WACM has made my wireless phone charger actually work, a nice improvement.

The one I noticed the most though is the RFA update.

I am extremely happy with how PAAK has worked the past few days. Knock on wood.

The car always opens the door on the first press. If the car has not gone to deep sleep it opens right off with the button press. If it has been long enough for the car to go to deep sleep, it opens with the first button press as long as I just hold in the button as it wakes up and the relays click.

If you use PAAK and have an RFA update pending, get it applied!
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I've been saying this for a while as well, get the RFA update done if it doesn't work on the first try.

OP
OP
kdonnel

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I've been saying this for a while as well, get the RFA update done if it doesn't work on the first try.
It is really a shame I had to apply the update myself.

I guess I could have tried to get the dealer to apply it but to me it was worth the $700 it cost to get the equipment to apply updates myself to not have to deal with the service department at a local dealer.

Ford should offer up a program to pay customers to apply their own updates. I would be willing to accept a lower labor rate than Ford would pay dealers to apply recalls and TSB.

jmatero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT-P
Country flag
I did the RFA update and it's still unreliable. iPhone 12 Pro. Maybe time to start a survey to see if reliability is tied to platform.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
PaaK worked great with my old iPhone X and so far no issues with my iPhone 13 Pro (app. 1 month). 😊🐩

MCred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 mach-e rt1 ext 4
Country flag
I have 23 Rt1 ex 4, the updater shows I need the RFA update (thanks @LeanneL ), but so far the FAAK seems to work, at least as well as one would expect given the quality of Ford software/updates. I would never trust just my phone to keep me motoring, maybe after I see a more stable software release. Not holding my breath.

Homestead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach-E, F-350
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
It is really a shame I had to apply the update myself.

I guess I could have tried to get the dealer to apply it but to me it was worth the $700 it cost to get the equipment to apply updates myself to not have to deal with the service department at a local dealer.

Ford should offer up a program to pay customers to apply their own updates. I would be willing to accept a lower labor rate than Ford would pay dealers to apply recalls and TSB.
Any idea what the dealer would have charged for installing the updates?

OP
OP
kdonnel

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Any idea what the dealer would have charged for installing the updates?
Multiples of hours times their per hour labor rate, if you could get them interested.

Since this post I have used FDRS a dozen plus times, applying updates when I want instead of waiting for the OTA gods to bless me.

Snakebitten

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E
The barn has so many tools accumulated over a long lifetime. The co$t of the Mongoose, in context, is a bargain. Especially if you have multiple vehicles that it applies to.

The ownership experience of my 3 vehicles that are designed for FDRS has been SO MUCH BETTER than the multitude of threads on the forums regarding OTA shortcomings and dealership apathy/incompetence.

We live in remarkable times.
And the technology can be both a blessing or a curse. But if you choose to take matters into your own hands you are at a huge advantage.

I'm an old geezer having a ball enjoying these CrAzY product choices we have today. PAAK, for me, is a very recent experience. So far it works a little too well if I park the GTPE too close to the RV. I have to turn Bluetooth off on the phone when I go to bed so the poor car can get some sleep while I do the same.
Sponsored