Brayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E Premium ER RWD
Occupation
Sales Management
Country flag
My key stays on the key hook by the door at home. I only take it with me if I’m traveling out of town or the one time I’ve taken it to a dealer for a new tire.
Sponsored

Mrn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMES
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
I started carrying my fob in a passport wallet years ago so I couldn't drive away without my credit cards, drivers license, etc.

My second best life decision😊

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
With garage door openers and Paak, nothing in my pocketeses for months on end now.
Hope you garage door openers have a battery backup. This is exactly the reason I still use a fob and have my house keys on that key ring.

Plus it saves me the agony of having to post on this forum about all my PAAK issues. I do have PAAK set up, but it is really just a backup in case I loose my keys, or the fob battery fails.

skiingj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium
Country flag
No keys at all. Two digital locks. The last three months PaaK has gone back to being terrible with the doors and hatch. I wish the fob was much smaller like many of the fobs in the 80's.

Reactions: x19

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Hope you garage door openers have a battery backup. This is exactly the reason I still use a fob and have my house keys on that key ring.
Meaning, the reason you still use keys is that you do not have a battery backup?

I do have a battery, but sometimes wonder what happens if the opener fails somehow. It hasn't happened in the past 20 years, but there can be motor failures, broken springs, etc. I go without keys and figure I'll just deal with a broken door hassle when and if it ever happens.

Last edited:

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
My left front pocket. My house key ring stays there. When I drive my ‘70s cars, the car keys go in my right front pocket. 🤷‍♂️🐩

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Yeah, how does the garage door button work for you in a power outage?

SimpliSafe home alarm including door lock. Keys hidden in garage for backup, but always take house keys with us.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
What are you guys doing when your car have to stay at the garage for service? Or if you have a problem on the road and your car have to towed? Do you sleep in the car to have your phone nearby? 😁
I have a fob wrapped in tin foil and in the bag I always take with me when I leave town. So if I get a flat tire, for example, I can unwrap the fob and hand it to the tire guy. Or, gasp, a HVBJB failure, I can hand it to the tow truck driver.

When in town, I don't have a fob with me because I have a fob at home that I can easily get if needed.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
I have a fob wrapped in tin foil and in the bag I always take with me when I leave town. So if I get a flat tire, for example, I can unwrap the fob and hand it to the tire guy. Or, gasp, a HVBJB failure, I can hand it to the tow truck driver.

When in town, I don't have a fob with me because I have a fob at home that I can easily get if needed.
I just leave the key in the car. I figure it's easier and the odds against theft are good enough.

kulaga

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium ER Grey, 2023 MME GT Black
Country flag
That's funny how many forum members are smart lock early adaptors also. I carried a single house key on a keyring the first few months and complained about it every time I left the house. Just recently installed Ultraloq smart locks on all doors, it took a while for me to wrap my head around spending so much for locks. So glad I did. Now I just grab my phone and wallet when I leave the house. I did have to run back home once to get the keyfob for one of my dealer appointments.

Not quite ready to research digitizing my wallet or cell phone case wallets but so tempted! Not really practical and I already switched to a minimalist wallet years ago.

SigSauer

First Name
Mark David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Preiumn in DMG, AWD, ER and 1928 Model A Ford
Occupation
Retired Sales Representative
Country flag
I hope this isn’t a stupid questions, but now that my 2022 MME delivery is going to be any day now, it got me thinking of what to do with my key rings if I use PAAK solely.

I only really have a House key and my desk key, I am looking into keyless options for the house to go completly keyless.

For those that use PAAK only and have ditched the fob, what do you use to hold your keys? or if you have gone completely keyless, what platform are you using?
I drop my keys in the door handle slot. That way, when I open the door they are right there.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
My garage door opener does have a battery backup. And the smart lock on my front door exclusively runs on batteries. There are also emergency terminals for a 9V battery on the exterior of the smart lock in case I ever ignore the low battery warnings for weeks and let the batteries die. I think I'm covered.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Same as Gary - I enter the house through the garage door, so I don't need a house key. And I don't have any other keys that I need to carry.

@Kamuelaflyer - throw it away. It will feel good to be free of that burden. 😂
You know the day after he throws it away, he’ll figure out what it opens and he’ll need to get in there immediately.
I think it's for the lock on the spare tire for the Tacoma. Considering I've owned that truck since new (2006) and never dropped the spare for its intended purpose, I think I'll hang on to the key. It's a good luck charm. :p
Sponsored