Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
Hope you garage door openers have a battery backup. This is exactly the reason I still use a fob and have my house keys on that key ring.

Plus it saves me the agony of having to post on this forum about all my PAAK issues. I do have PAAK set up, but it is really just a backup in case I loose my keys, or the fob battery fails.
In the case of a power outage, I have a house key well hidden somewhere on my property. The garage door opener is my key the rest of the time.
Sponsored

West1134

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Premium AWD, ER,06 Duramax,16 Acadia Denali
Country flag
Far outweighs the occasional PAAK issue. I also use an APP that makes turning PAAK on and off very easy. Turns on Bluetooth and opens Ford Pass with one button.
can you expand on this statement? What APP auto turns on/off the BT and PAAK?

West1134

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 MME Premium AWD, ER,06 Duramax,16 Acadia Denali
Country flag
To OP question, while I haven't taken delivery yet of my MME (any day now I've been told) I plan to use PAAK. However, I have to carry keys to my office, server room at office etc. plus have key to my house, client office, among a few others, but not many overall. Anyways, I ended up getting this leather "leash" awhile back that has been great. It allows me to hook the keys to my belt loop, and then its just long enough to hang inside my back pocket. It keeps it high enough from sitting on them, but low enough that they stay inside the pocket so they don't jingle around etc. Would definitely recommend. I just wish they included a bottle opener in the latch mechanism.

https://www.trayvax.com/products/keyton-clip-carabiner-keychain

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
House is completely biometric but I have to carry a lanyard with yubikeys, access badges etc for work. Nothing is as bulky or heavy as the FOB and I can't get into datacenters or turn on my computers/access passwords without them so it's kinda necessary.

New2EV

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Charger, Explorer, Chevelle, Mach E
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
can you expand on this statement? What APP auto turns on/off the BT and PAAK?
It's called Phone Profiles Plus on Google play. I set up a configuration that turns on Bluetooth and opens FordPass and another profile that turns Bluetooth off. It's been working great and has a ton of other features I haven't used. It can be placed on any screen and a single touch can switch between profiles. I use it when I don't want the car responding to my phone being nearby.

MonorailGold

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Fusion Hybrid. 2022 MME CR1 on order
Country flag
Iā€™m leaning towards a faraday bag to have my keys in the car and rely on PAAK. Iā€™m still ā€˜old schoolā€™ in regards to a physical key fob but Iā€™d like to break from that mindset.

for a front door, I highly recommend Schlage Sense - touchpad with a physical key backup. Mine is HomeKit enabled so I frequently use Siri to unlock my front door as I arrive home. Iā€™m pretty sure it integrates with Google and Alexa as well.

https://www.schlage.com/en/home/smart-locks/sense.html

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
What are you guys doing when your car have to stay at the garage for service? Or if you have a problem on the road and your car have to towed? Do you sleep in the car to have your phone nearby? šŸ˜
Uh, ā€¦ I dunno. Bring a fob maybe for service? On the road my wife brings her fob just in case. Havenā€™t broken down yet anywhere.

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
Hope you garage door openers have a battery backup. This is exactly the reason I still use a fob and have my house keys on that key ring.

Plus it saves me the agony of having to post on this forum about all my PAAK issues. I do have PAAK set up, but it is really just a backup in case I loose my keys, or the fob battery fails.
Do you hide an extra fob in the wheel well just in case the power is out and the battery is dead in your primary fob? Key under the flower pot too, just in case? Just beinā€™ a wise-ass.

You ought to try it though. Put a battery operated combo lock on the front door and just use PAAK. All you need to carry is your phone. I love it.

AZBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Hummer EV SUT, MME CA Route 1
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Meaning, the reason you still use keys is that you do not have a battery backup?

I do have a battery, but sometimes wonder what happens if the opener fails somehow. It hasn't happened in the past 20 years, but there can be motor failures, broken springs, etc. I go without keys and figure I'll just deal with a broken door hassle when and if it ever happens.
I have a garage attached to my house with two doors and no battery backup. I have a separate RV garage with three doors, and one of those has the battery backup. Within the last year, I did come home once with a power outage, glad I had my house keys. We have a lot of thunderstorms in Phoenix and that can take out power for a short period (hours) occasionally.

About three years ago, a spring broke on one of my doors and it could not be opened at all. Could not get my truck out of the garage until it was fixed.

OP
OP
Travman1974

Travman1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mazda 3
Country flag
Thanks for all the replies, picked her up today. No garage, but I did pick up a keypad lock at lowes on the way home that Iā€™ll install on the back door.. Have already set up PAAK, and will give keyless a try over the next couple of weeks.
Ford Mustang Mach-E If you use PAAK, What do you use to hold your keys 76A63583-C159-4ECC-B173-FBBF395394FC

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
In 50 years I have never arrived home to no power. Never.
We just installed a whole house generator after losing power too often including 6 times this past year, once for 4 days.

One loss last Fall was on a sunny day while we did yard work, and couldn't get in the house at lunchtime.

Last edited:

tannerk89

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E P4X
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
I havenā€™t locked my house once since I moved in 2 years ago. I have very big dogs instead of keys šŸ˜‚ I canā€™t think of anything else I lock frequently enough to carry a key with me.

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
We just installed a whole house generator after losing power too often including 6 times this past year, once for 4 days.

One lost last Fall was on a sunny day while we did yard work, and couldn't get in the house at lunchtime.
I donā€™t believe I have lost power for more than a few seconds 6 times in my entire life.
Sponsored