em5quare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD Premium ER
Country flag
Premium, ER, RWD, 2021, Job 2. I am still stuck at 3.6.1, which I got on November 20. I charge to 90% whenever SOC drops to 70-75%. What can be done to get unstuck? Previously, I seemed to get updates in sync with most people on the boards. Frustrating.😖
Sponsored

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
Yeah, this is inaccurate. I'm in the EAP but my First Edition has been stuck on 3.5.4 since October. I've driven the car plenty since then, including a few multi-hour road trips. I've had the car charged to 90% overnight many nights. The Ford.com javascript review showed zero failed updates, and Ford has confirmed zero failed updates. Ford just has not tried to push the updates to my car (and many others) for God knows what reason. I took the car in for service this morning at suggestion of Ford Connected Services. The car was returned to me after a handful of updates but no updated user interface.

@Ford Motor Company - here is an idea: how about I give you my VIN, and somebody on Ford's end enters my VIN into your OTA system and pushes the magic button?

Richard L.

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E First Edition Grabber Blue
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
So let me get this straight. The 12V battery charge (controlled by software) determines if you get the updates. But that same battery charge control software allows the battery to constantly go below 80%, despite have a nearly unlimited HV battery available to charge it? Am I missing something?
The charging strategy below was provided by Ford Special Vehicle Engineering:
While ignition is off, if 12V battery reaches 40% state of charge, then vehicle waits 48 hours , before the DC-DC transfers 300 Watt-hours of energy to recharge the 12V battery. The HV power comes from either HV battery or wall power while on plug. If the 12V battery state of charge reaches 30%, then this HV to LV energy transfer happens immediately with no delay.
Note:
• This system was designed to recharge 12V battery while the vehicle was left parked for many days
either on or off plug or occasional drain from customer usage. The 12V battery will wear out if this energy transfer is completed daily due to aftermarket loads draining the 12V battery down to 40% or lower.
• Vehicle has 35 Amp-hour AGM 12V Battery

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Premium, ER, RWD, 2021, Job 2. I am still stuck at 3.6.1, which I got on November 20. I charge to 90% whenever SOC drops to 70-75%. What can be done to get unstuck? Previously, I seemed to get updates in sync with most people on the boards. Frustrating.😖
There are lots of threads about this.

The 12v battery should be above 80% state of charge. Some updates will affect the DC-DC system, so the large battery pack will not be able to charge the 12v battery during the update period. This is why you have the 80% 12v battery SOC requirement.

Many (if not all) modules will stay awake during an update, and without a charged 12v battery, the 12v battery would be completely drained before the updates completed, leaving the vehicle in a bad state. Kinda like losing power to your PC during a BIOS update. Not good.

This is why you find most updates "pop up" during or right after driving. While driving:
1) the DC-DC system is fully charging the 12v battery
2) the vehicle likely has decent AT&T cell service, likely far better than in a garage.

You also should set an update schedule similar to seen in this thread in another post.

em5quare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD Premium ER
Country flag
I drove 2500 miles in late December, early January over a few days. I have the standard update schedule, Mon-Sun at 1 AM, and still nothing. How do I check the 12V battery SOC?

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I drove 2500 miles in late December, early January over a few days. I have the standard update schedule, Mon-Sun at 1 AM, and still nothing. How do I check the 12V battery SOC?
You need a Bluetooth OBD adapter and an app like Car Scanner.

VegStang

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo C40 Recharge, 2021 MME
Occupation
Artist, animal rights activist
Country flag
Yeah, I wish it was that easy. I've had help from an insider and they still can't get me any updates since last June. My last visit to the dealer ended up with 2 full days there and no-one even looking at it before I picked it up, as I needed the car. I'll be heading to a 3rd dealer to see if they can get things corrected- when I can go without the car for at least a week.

Almost 2 years with the car, still no BC, and I lost lane centering last summer. But the electronic frunk button works so maybe I'm ahead a little :rolleyes:

@Ford Motor Company - here is an idea: how about I give you my VIN, and somebody on Ford's end enters my VIN into your OTA system and pushes the magic button?

optoutpod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
As others have said, it is the SOC of the LVB (12 volt). There is an api endpoint on the ford owner website (Right click, Inspect, Network. It helps to filter by "api/v2") which provides (I am guessing, this hasn't been confirmed anywhere) the LVB SOC %. It would be a nice feature to have the LVB info in the FordPass app given that this SOC is the most important factor for OTA updates: As you can see in the screenshot below, the current LVB SOC is 72%. This endpoint response is also cached, so you will need to refresh your FordPass app (which I guess happens anyway once you are driving)
Ford Mustang Mach-E If you want your Mach-E to get OTA updates - the SOC of the 12V (LVB) must be at least 80-85% Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 4.05.33 PM

21 Model Year, JOB 1 Mach E Premium, no blue cruise. And the 21G01 is still on hold. So dealer's can't update either. I received 2.7.4 last year and this week received 3.6.2 (after a dry OTA spell of around 6 months). This forum has been very helpful and I am happy to share this info.

Last edited:

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
As others have said, it is the SOC of the LVB (12 volt). There is an api endpoint on the ford owner website (Right click, Inspect, Network. It helps to filter by "api/v2") which provides the LVB SOC %. It would be a nice feature to have the LVB info in the FordPass app given that this SOC is the most important factor for OTA updates: As you can see in the screenshot below, the current LVB SOC is 72%. This endpoint response is also cached, so you will need to refresh your FordPass app (which I guess happens anyway once you are driving)
Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 4.05.33 PM.png
batteryFillLevel is the high voltage battery %, not the 12V battery level. There is no way to read the 12V SoC % without a scan tool.

awp0

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Wtf does "at least 80-85%" even mean? That's not a clear specification.

Btw, in the last few days I've received 3.6.2 and 4.1.1, after going over two months without an update. I haven't made any changes to my charging/parking/etc routines, so there's hope for everyone who hasn't received an update since the Oct/Nov timeframe.

optoutpod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
batteryFillLevel is the high voltage battery %, not the 12V battery level. There is no way to read the 12V SoC % without a scan tool.
I am pretty sure (I would bet on it) that batteryFillLevel is the 12V battery status. I can't provide any documentation to back my comment though. A quick way to prove that is to turn the car on, (not plugged in for charging the HVB) and you will see the numbers update after a while. Now at 76% up from 72% roughly half an hour ago.
Ford Mustang Mach-E If you want your Mach-E to get OTA updates - the SOC of the 12V (LVB) must be at least 80-85% Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 4.25.04 PM

Initially I also thought this this value represented the HVB SOC. And I also assumed that it was for the full pack including the reserve (compared with the Fordpass battery Percentage). But after a while, playing around with the LVB, charging the LVB with an external power source and monitoring the end point, I was convinced that this is the SOC of the LVB.

Last edited:

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I have been wondering why my car has not had any updates since 3.6.1 installed on November 8. I did a chat with Ford.com and they put me in touch with the OTA department. (Over-The-Air (OTA) - English "1-833-926-3233" 8:00 a.m. –11:00 p.m. EST (Monday - Friday), 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. EST (Saturday).

I asked them why my car has not been getting any OTA (3.6.2, 4.1.1, 4.1.2 and soon 4.1.3). She confirmed that there have been attempts to update my VIN via OTA, but the conditions were not met.

She went over the conditions needed for the car to get OTA updates. All of them were met-except I only rarely charge above 70% SOC since last fall. The person on the phone confirmed that they know the car MUST be charged to at least 80-85% to get OTA updates.

Hopefully this will resolve the OTA issues in about a week with the car at 80-85% SOC.

Ford Mustang Mach-E If you want your Mach-E to get OTA updates - the SOC of the 12V (LVB) must be at least 80-85% Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 4.25.04 PM
fascinating... I had no idea that was a requirement.

but, I have auto-update disabled regardless as there has been no new content delivering anything I am interested in. I hate changes and side-effects, lost settings, etc.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
As others have said, it is the SOC of the LVB (12 volt). There is an api endpoint on the ford owner website (Right click, Inspect, Network. It helps to filter by "api/v2") which provides the LVB SOC %. It would be a nice feature to have the LVB info in the FordPass app given that this SOC is the most important factor for OTA updates: As you can see in the screenshot below, the current LVB SOC is 72%. This endpoint response is also cached, so you will need to refresh your FordPass app (which I guess happens anyway once you are driving)

21 Model Year, JOB 1 Mach E Premium, no blue cruise. And the 21G01 is still on hold. So dealer's can't update either. I received 2.7.4 last year and this week received 3.6.2 (after a dry OTA spell of around 6 months). This forum has been very helpful and I am happy to share this info.
As @Mach-Lee said, that is the actual SoC of your HVB. I believe it is the actual SoC of the full pack with the reserve, and not the displayed SoC. Mine shows 86% when at 90% SoC displayed in the car.

The battery tab above that does show the voltage of your LVB, but not a %.

Marc S

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Select (lease ended) Now 2023 GTPE
Country flag
In my experience it’s the 12V battery that has failed to meet conditions on several updates. However, that did not keep the update from downloading to my car, it just would not install. After a 30 minute drive to “charge” the 12V and then an immediate install it worked fine. I find this post to be incorrect.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
I Will add to the chorus of those that the % would be for the 12v battery not SOC I got 3.6.2 the other day when I went shopping, parked up hit ok to update and went off to do my shopping as I would be busy for the next 40minutes in the mall. Was updated when car came back SOC when I parked was 35%.
Sponsored