Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
From Green Car Reports:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Illegal emissions tampering on diesel trucks is rampant david-diesel-dave-kiley-and-david-heavy-d-sparks-photo-by-discovery-media_100739460_l

Illegal emissions tampering on diesel trucks is rampant—and apparently a big business

BENGT HALVORSON
NOVEMBER 29, 2020
About 15% of U.S. diesel trucks that were originally certified with emissions controls have had those systems tampered with.

That’s among the takeaways from a U.S. EPA report released last Friday. It suggests an environmental and public-health impact that within the U.S. could exceed that of the Volkswagen diesel scandal, given the prevalence of such trucks.

The report, from the EPA’s Air Enforcement Division (AED), and made available by the New York Times Wednesday, projects that emissions controls have been removed from more than 550,000 diesel pickups in the last decade, adding more than 570,000 tons of nitrogen oxides (NOx) and 5,000 tons of particulate matter over the lifetime of the vehicles.

ram_100427302_l.jpg

It gets worse. The report concludes that “due to their severe excess NOx emissions, these trucks have an air quality impact equivalent to adding more than 9 million additional (compliant, non- tampered) diesel pickup trucks to our roads.”

(continue reading at the source link...)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
@Mach-MI: EPA doesn't enforce this because the EPA hasn't the mandate, funding, staff, or infrastructure to enforce individual-scale action except in major cases such as Super Fund Sites. Much of what they do is to collect national-level statistics from states and make sure states and other large jurisdictions are following Federal regulations and enforcing them at their local levels.
https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/basic-information-enforcement

Last edited:

trutolife27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln mkx , Ford f-150, Mache
Country flag
From Green Car Reports:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Illegal emissions tampering on diesel trucks is rampant ram_100427302_l

Illegal emissions tampering on diesel trucks is rampant—and apparently a big business

BENGT HALVORSON
NOVEMBER 29, 2020
About 15% of U.S. diesel trucks that were originally certified with emissions controls have had those systems tampered with.

That’s among the takeaways from a U.S. EPA report released last Friday. It suggests an environmental and public-health impact that within the U.S. could exceed that of the Volkswagen diesel scandal, given the prevalence of such trucks.

The report, from the EPA’s Air Enforcement Division (AED), and made available by the New York Times Wednesday, projects that emissions controls have been removed from more than 550,000 diesel pickups in the last decade, adding more than 570,000 tons of nitrogen oxides (NOx) and 5,000 tons of particulate matter over the lifetime of the vehicles.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Illegal emissions tampering on diesel trucks is rampant ram_100427302_l
It gets worse. The report concludes that “due to their severe excess NOx emissions, these trucks have an air quality impact equivalent to adding more than 9 million additional (compliant, non- tampered) diesel pickup trucks to our roads.”

(continue reading at the source link...)
The cloud of smog that comes from people removing things after the purchase is crazy. It's just a matter of time before something is done.

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Although the effects aren't as severe, and are arguably much less rampant, it's been common in the Mustang community forever to modify your exhaust for performance reasons, which sometimes includes gutting the catalytic converters.
Most of the time, though, it's just the mufflers that are changed.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
Although the effects aren't as severe, and are arguably much less rampant, it's been common in the Mustang community forever to modify your exhaust for performance reasons, which sometimes includes gutting the catalytic converters.
Most of the time, though, it's just the mufflers that are changed.
Darn, I was going to put a louder muffler on my MME. I guess I can just turn up the propulsion sounds :rolleyes:

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Darn, I was going to put a louder muffler on my MME. I guess I can just turn up the propulsion sounds :rolleyes:
I was thinking of attaching some Coal-Rolling smoke stacks to my mach-e to help re-create what I'm missing. I guess we could just stuff them with dry ice and water for a similar effect??

Ford Mustang Mach-E Illegal emissions tampering on diesel trucks is rampant 1608316882121

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I was thinking of attaching some Coal-Rolling smoke stacks to my mach-e to help re-create what I'm missing. I guess we could just stuff them with dry ice and water for a similar effect??

Ford Mustang Mach-E Illegal emissions tampering on diesel trucks is rampant 1608316882121
Well, dry ice and water would result in visible emission of the CO2 you don't emit.