Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
So I just did a thing. (My wife says I can’t leave anything alone.)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Illuminated pony Proof of concept. 037F80D4-F04D-4C3E-B62F-6EA1C4AA8147

Nowhere near complete but for a proof of concept, I believe it will work without the $700 GT pony emblem.
I ordered electro luminescent wire off Amazon and if I form it tightly around the pony emblem I should be able to route it behind the emblem and connect to the headlights.
If I can make that work, then when the headlights come on I’ll have an illuminated pony outline.
I’ll post again when I get it done.

Amazon link to EL wire.
Sponsored

GrumblesTheDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GB FE
Country flag
I have to say, I really look forward to your posts!

I wondered about using EL wire too for this exact purpose. Where are you going to stash the inverter/driver?

jaycake

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda6 Carbon Mach-E Star White AWD Ext. range
Country flag
So far it looks good, I'm looking forward to the finished product.

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I have to say, I really look forward to your posts!

I wondered about using EL wire too for this exact purpose. Where are you going to stash the inverter/driver?
Wherever I tap the headlight. I’ll just tape the inverter to the harness there. I’ll have some spare EL run behind the nose cone but I won’t be visible.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Interesting concept. I look forward to you revising it. Nice find with that wire, it looks like if you can get it to form around that pony tighter it'll look pretty good

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Interesting concept. I look forward to you revising it. Nice find with that wire, it looks like if you can get it to form around that pony tighter it'll look pretty good
That’s the next challenge. I think I can do it pretty well. Just going to take some patience trimming the rubber tab away where I need a sharp bend. Then finding the right method to affix it tightly to the emblem.

mdolan92869

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach-e (Had '83 GT, '89 GT Ragtop, '13 GT)
Occupation
Retired Software Engineer
Country flag
That’s the next challenge. I think I can do it pretty well. Just going to take some patience trimming the rubber tab away where I need a sharp bend. Then finding the right method to affix it tightly to the emblem.
Not the same tape as the emblems on the doors!

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag

dgipson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
So I just did a thing. (My wife says I can’t leave anything alone.)

037F80D4-F04D-4C3E-B62F-6EA1C4AA8147.jpeg

Nowhere near complete but for a proof of concept, I believe it will work without the $700 GT pony emblem.
I ordered electro luminescent wire off Amazon and if I form it tightly around the pony emblem I should be able to route it behind the emblem and connect to the headlights.
If I can make that work, then when the headlights come on I’ll have an illuminated pony outline.
I’ll post again when I get it done.

Amazon link to EL wire.
Wondering if it would be better to replace the emblem with clear plexiglass cut in the shape of the pony with with nicely polished edges... drop an LED in the middle behind the plexi and then cover up the shape of the pony so it only shines out sideways.

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Wondering if it would be better to replace the emblem with clear plexiglass cut in the shape of the pony with with nicely polished edges... drop an LED in the middle behind the plexi and then cover up the shape of the pony so it only shines out sideways.
I thought of that…. I’m just not that good with plexiglass. I could do vinyl over the top once cut, and even route a channel out of the edge to lay EL wire into. But cutting plexus isn’t something I have the tools or patience for.

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Might have this finished tomorrow. Last week I was able to find the correct headlight wires and splice the inverter in.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Illuminated pony Proof of concept. B0347C8E-AF4F-4B59-810C-3C404BBE2154

Used the headlight harness from the left headlight. Reasonably easy to unplug and have access to, once you remove the funk tub. Blue and Grey wire for positive. Black and Green wire for negative.
Before I could get the wire secured to the emblem I had to travel a bit for work. Then family / father stuff cropped up. Finally got a little time yesterday to work a little more.

I used a dremel to cut one securing post off. Then ground a channel from where the post was to the edge of the emblem. This allows the emblem to lay flat in the recessed area or the “grill” while the wire runs out the back.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Illuminated pony Proof of concept. DC46B838-6764-4864-823C-B8650EE69BD0

Next step was to get the wire tight to the edge of the emblem and get it to stay there. I tried some clear plastic gorilla tape that didn’t hold the EL wire tight into the corners. I tried gorilla glue which even after a 4 hour cure peeled right back off. So this morning I brought it to work, where I’ve got some time on my hands, and tried Super Glue.
(I didn’t want to use super glue in case it didn’t work. Ran the risk of discoloring the plastics with nothing to show for it, but that’s what it came down to. So knowing I might have to order a whole new emblem, I gambled and gave it a try.)

It appears super glue was the answer. Applying small areas at a time, cutting small bits of the securement tab to help it flex into the sharp angles, and pulling it tight with zip ties while it cured…I think I’ve got a winner.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Illuminated pony Proof of concept. C361F4BB-78DF-4E28-8E82-99542330B3FE

When I get home from work tomorrow I’ll see how it turned out. So far, I’m pretty excited for my project.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Illuminated pony Proof of concept. 713C3DF4-C5FC-4B5D-B0E1-19FA54DC7CDB

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Either laser-cut plexiglass or 3D printing could be a good option.

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
After much effort… this project is on hold. Spent yesterday getting the wire tight to the emblem. Today the wire does NOT light up. I must have nicked one of the conductors as I was trimming. More on order. Please stay tuned.
Sponsored