Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
That area is on the drivers side not passenger side. There is one like it on the passenger side that you saw but it comes into an area you cannot get to easily without taking half the dash apart. The one on the drivers side comes through just above the steering column and is easy to get to. You then would have to run the wire across to the passenger area under the glove box.

I checked the wiring diagram of all the fuses in the frunk area and none of them will work for what you are looking to do.

Right now you have your emblem coming on only when the head lamps are on. There are three other ways I see you can wire up your emblem.

1. You can have it illuminate anytime the car is in the ON position. However it will not illuminate when the head lamps are on (unless the car is on) or with the welcome lighting. This can be done by tapping into a fuse under the glove box.

2. The pony can illuminate with the welcome lighting and anytime the head lamps are on but NOT while the car is on (unless the headlamps are on). For this you need to tap into either the Green/Orange or Brown/Yellow wire coming off of the center Black connector of the BCM.

3. Your pony can illuminate anytime the daytime running lights are on which is pretty much anytime the car is on. It will also be on when just the headlights are on and with welcome lighting. For this you have to tap into the Gray/Blue or Violet White wires again coming off the center black connector of the BCM.

I have not actually tried any of this yet as I am still without my car but will do the first of next week when I get home. You may get to test these connections out before I do. Again, like I said before, if your LED lighting pulls more current than the system likes, It will start blinking and give you a head lamp system fault warning.
Ok. Iā€™ll look into this and see what I can find. Though with my work schedule and my sonā€™s 16th Birthday, it might be a bit before I get a chance. Iā€™ll keep you posted. Thanks again.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
2. The pony can illuminate with the welcome lighting and anytime the head lamps are on but NOT while the car is on (unless the headlamps are on). For this you need to tap into either the Green/Orange or Brown/Yellow wire coming off of the center Black connector of the BCM.
@markboris YOU crazy genius YOU!
Green/Orange did exactly what I wanted. So wires are run and tapped and working just as I wanted. The emblem illuminates with the welcome lights. It illuminates with the headlights. The emblem is NOT illuminated once I start the car unless the headlights are on.
Since I leave my headlight switch to ā€œAuto,ā€ the only time the emblem isnā€™t on is when the car is ON and itā€™s daylight out, in which case you canā€™t see the glow of the EL wire anyway. As it gets dark, the headlights turn on and the EL wire lights up. Itā€™s PERFECT. Thank You so much for the research.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Mike, you are very welcome.

So last week when I drove my car back home, I ripped it apart and tested those wires by hooking up an LED strip I had left over from doing the rear door ambient lighting. My dad which was here at the time thought I was nuts taking apart a new car. I told him 1. Wanted to make sure the info I figured out on the wiring diagram that I gave you was correct and 2. He should have been there when I really had it apart with all the other projects Iā€™ve done. ?

ponygurl29

First Name
Kate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach e
Occupation
Radiologic Technologist
Country flag
So I just did a thing. (My wife says I canā€™t leave anything alone.)

037F80D4-F04D-4C3E-B62F-6EA1C4AA8147.jpeg

Nowhere near complete but for a proof of concept, I believe it will work without the $700 GT pony emblem.
I ordered electro luminescent wire off Amazon and if I form it tightly around the pony emblem I should be able to route it behind the emblem and connect to the headlights.
If I can make that work, then when the headlights come on Iā€™ll have an illuminated pony outline.
Iā€™ll post again when I get it done.

Amazon link to EL wire.
Awesome!!

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Confession time:
When I first did the install, my wiring wasnā€™t the greatest. Accidentally cut into the EL wire in one spot. Had to splice where I pulled too hard on the power block. The lighted emblem was intermittent and then died entirely. I have pulled it apart 3 times and it always came back to lifeā€¦.. for about a week. I donā€™t know if my connection at the power block was bad, or water intruded at the cut in the EL wire, or what.
Today I took advantage of a warm day (it got all the way up to 45Ā°F). Took the frunk out AGAIN. Removed the emblem AGAIN. Stripped the old EL wire off. Polished the old glue off the emblem with my Dremel and started over.
It took me about 2.5 hours of laying new EL wire one section at a time, applying glue, securing with zip ties, waiting for glue to dry. Finally got all new EL wire on and trimmed the excess plastic edging. Got it all back together.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Illuminated pony Proof of concept. 47EB337E-BF4B-45FB-BB51-E785BB99CC5C
Now, with a working lighted pony once again, Iā€™m glad I took the time. Hopefully I donā€™t have to mess with it anymore.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Illuminated pony Proof of concept. D24D46A0-7857-4650-B208-FC1A2E5A7EFA

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Confession time:
When I first did the install, my wiring wasnā€™t the greatest. Accidentally cut into the EL wire in one spot. Had to splice where I pulled too hard on the power block. The lighted emblem was intermittent and then died entirely. I have pulled it apart 3 times and it always came back to lifeā€¦.. for about a week. I donā€™t know if my connection at the power block was bad, or water intruded at the cut in the EL wire, or what.
Today I took advantage of a warm day (it got all the way up to 45Ā°F). Took the frunk out AGAIN. Removed the emblem AGAIN. Stripped the old EL wire off. Polished the old glue off the emblem with my Dremel and started over.
It took me about 2.5 hours of laying new EL wire one section at a time, applying glue, securing with zip ties, waiting for glue to dry. Finally got all new EL wire on and trimmed the excess plastic edging. Got it all back together.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Illuminated pony Proof of concept. D24D46A0-7857-4650-B208-FC1A2E5A7EFA
Now, with a working lighted pony once again, Iā€™m glad I took the time. Hopefully I donā€™t have to mess with it anymore.
Wow, that looks sweet! I canā€™t tell - are there any gaps in the illuminated part? Does it just go around the existing factory logo?

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Wow, that looks sweet! I canā€™t tell - are there any gaps in the illuminated part? Does it just go around the existing factory logo?
There is a tiny gap where the EL wire comes out from behind the emblem. I routed a channel in the back for the wire to come out of the fascia behind and to the edge. After going around the emblem, the wire goes back into the channel and terminates behind the emblem. So where the two pieces enter/exit the channel it isnā€™t continuous. But youā€™ve got to be pretty close to notice.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Illuminated pony Proof of concept. A2DA2332-51CB-4ABC-AC30-A2815DDCE57A

ReelSweet

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
What, no picture of the MME getting a bath on that balmy 45 degree day toward the top of the Empire State!

Your light-up pony project looks great!

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Confession time:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Illuminated pony Proof of concept. A2DA2332-51CB-4ABC-AC30-A2815DDCE57A
While I personally really like this look and everything, I do want to add one item for you to consider @Murse-In-Airy, you do know that your wife is right donā€™t you? ;). (See post #1).

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
While I personally really like this look and everything, I do want to add one item for you to consider @Murse-In-Airy, you do know that your wife is right donā€™t you? ;). (See post #1).
I know that she is right about everything. Sometimes I pretend not to know, just so she can remind me. But I know. And itā€™s OK. Iā€™m lucky to have her.

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
What, no picture of the MME getting a bath on that balmy 45 degree day toward the top of the Empire State!
Ford Mustang Mach-E Illuminated pony Proof of concept. 9D8FF2BB-B3D2-48E1-BC85-6036DD9B0CDA

I even got to use my new foam cannon since the hose wasnā€™t frozen. Had to blow it back out with the air compressor afterwards as itā€™s now back to 28Ā°. But I got both cars washed.

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Interactive Design Director
Country flag
There is a tiny gap where the EL wire comes out from behind the emblem. I routed a channel in the back for the wire to come out of the fascia behind and to the edge. After going around the emblem, the wire goes back into the channel and terminates behind the emblem. So where the two pieces enter/exit the channel it isnā€™t continuous. But youā€™ve got to be pretty close to notice.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Illuminated pony Proof of concept. 9D8FF2BB-B3D2-48E1-BC85-6036DD9B0CDA
It would be fairly easy for me to create a 3D rendering of the pony that would include the necessary channels to fit the wire, plus any other modifications that are needed.

Iā€™d start out with a vector outline of the pony, import it into TinkerCAD, extrude it, and add any needed modifications.

I donā€™t have my MME yet, but when I do, Iā€™d be able to take measurements with my micrometer to replicate itā€¦

OP
OP
Murse-In-Airy

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
It would be fairly easy for me to create a 3D rendering of the pony that would include the necessary channels to fit the wire, plus any other modifications that are needed.
Arenā€™t you fancy. Lol. If you do, youā€™ll have people beating down your door to buy them.

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Interactive Design Director
Country flag
Arenā€™t you fancy. Lol. If you do, youā€™ll have people beating down your door to buy them.
It would be fairly straightforward and easyā€¦the wiring part; not so much!

Perhaps @AOSK will up their game and make ā€˜em! ;-)

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
It would be fairly straightforward and easyā€¦the wiring part; not so much!

Perhaps @AOSK will up their game and make ā€˜em! ;-)
If you are saying you are just going to make a new emblem, couldnā€™t you just make the emblem out of a transparent material and put a sheet of EL film behind it? (Obviously masking out the area not to be illuminated on the sheet of EL film.)
Sponsored