I'm Done - 2023 Powertrain & High Voltage Battery Failure

ragequit310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3
Country flag
This car is making me live up to my user name! I had numerous issues on day 1: see thread. All of those issues, I had to deal with. Today I was charging in the parking lot and I come back to a bricked car. Despite unplugging my car, the car reported an error upon starting and couldn't be put into gear. See video. I hope I can get my money back and get a Tesla - even my old BMW i3 would be a better choice. This car has 2418 miles.

Ford Mustang Mach-E I'm Done - 2023 Powertrain & High Voltage Battery Failure 1679036796823
Ford Mustang Mach-E I'm Done - 2023 Powertrain & High Voltage Battery Failure 1679036817570

Last edited:

kdonnel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 CA Route 1, 2020 Bolt EV
Country flag
Good luck.

Lots of manufacturers make cars that have issues early in their life, Tesla included.

There are lots of stories of Teslas just days old being towed to a service center with catastrophic system failures.

I bought a 2011 Kia Sorrento. At the time we were considering an Acura MDX as well. The price difference was $17000 and the only missing features were a hitch camera and the Acura reputation.

Three months into the Kia ownership we had a lemon law file opened by Kia. The car hanothing but engine problems and was in for service for half of the first three months.

In the end they rebuilt the top half of the engine and the car has been nearly flawless now for 13 years.

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
I think you should be able to get a lemon buyback with this problem, combined with the BC time at the dealer.

It sounds like you want a Tesla anyway, and now you can get one.

Before you get it, test drive it, which it sounds like you didn't do with the Mach-E.

grinder

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
Sorry this happened to you. I would ditch the car as well. If you want a Tesla, go for it. They are good cars.

The MME fanboys will say Tesla has issues also, which is true, BUT there are 4 million Tesla's on the road versus Ford with like 60,000 units. Life is too short to live with a lemon car.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
If you’re stuck, turn it off and let to go completely asleep for 10 minutes (all screens off) before trying again.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Having a HVBJB failure in a 2023 is would be notable. If that's what this is, that's very bad.

Last edited:

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Sorry this happened to you. I would ditch the car as well. If you want a Tesla, go for it. They are good cars.

The MME fanboys will say Tesla has issues also, which is true, BUT there are 4 million Tesla's on the road versus Ford with like 60,000 units. Life is too short to live with a lemon car.
Totally agree - get a vehicle you think you’ll be happy with. There are a lot of EV makers on the market now and certainly a lot of information available about the pros and cons of each. There’s no reason you should be saddled with an expensive (and depreciating) asset you don’t like.
Good luck with your new car.

ThatGuyLando

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CR1
Occupation
Software Developer
Country flag
At some point we have to stop pretending like Ford is "just getting into evs", this is their third year of selling these cars with the same problem and it's not like they didn't do any r&d before selling the 21 model.

It seems like the only thing they change in newer models is removing features like park assist and kick to open trunk.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
I came to the conclusion that you should never buy a 1st generation EV. Not only are you dealing with the battery components, but also all the Software gremlins.

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Driving School Instructor
Country flag
This car is making me live up to my user name! I had numerous issues on day 1: see thread. All of those issues, I had to deal with. Today I was charging in the parking lot and I come back to a bricked car. Despite unplugging my car, the car reported an error upon starting and couldn't be put into gear. See video. I hope I can get my money back and get a Tesla - even my old BMW i3 would be a better choice. This car has 2418 miles.

Ford Mustang Mach-E I'm Done - 2023 Powertrain & High Voltage Battery Failure IMG_8696
Ford Mustang Mach-E I'm Done - 2023 Powertrain & High Voltage Battery Failure IMG_8696

Word to the wise. When purchasing an EV, have an ICE on hand just in case. With the lack of proper infrastructure along with potential problems of being stranded, it is nice to have a back up plan.

I use my MME for Drivers Ed. as an "extra" car. I have 4 other ICE cars that I use for my company with 2 of the 4 being Hybrids. If I had all of my cars as EV's, I would not be able to sleep well at night. I use the MME in the warmer months and I have access to home charging. I would never take this car out on a long road trip. Luck is something I am not going to bank on when traveling.

So sorry to hear of your problems but the MME is turning into a real issue with many on this Forum. This for sure, won't be the last we hear of this unfortunately.

Good Luck with your next purchase.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Having a HVBJB failure in a 2023 is notable.
Really !

I thought the HVBJB issue was behind us for '23 ???

Did Ford not change out the parts completely or are they using the same old parts from their bin boxes ?

OTOH: my first gen, first model year, guinea pig tester:'22 Lightning has been nothing but short of perfect since day 1.

Maybe I should rethink about keeping the '22 Lightning instead of trading it in for the 11 month old ordered '23 MME somewhere in the twilight zone ???

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
I came to the conclusion that you should never buy a 1st generation EV. Not only are you dealing with the battery components, but also all the Software gremlins.
Eh you can make out well if you are patient. All of the teething EV issues get worked out, if bad they buy your car back after a year or so and you come out ahead, if they have issues longterm you get a battery under warranty. If you have no issues you have an awesome car experience.

Mrn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MMES
Occupation
Aviation
Country flag
With all due respect, judging the overall quality of a brand by posts on a forum is kind of like judging human nature by watching the nightly news. It concentrates individual car issues at the expense of the overall fleet experience.

This is a good place to learn new things about the MME but a lousy place to draw general conclusions about it.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Really !

I thought the HVBJB issue was behind us for '23 ???

Did Ford not change out the parts completely or are they using the same old parts from their bin boxes ?

OTOH: my first gen, first model year, guinea pig tester:'22 Lightning has been nothing but short of perfect since day 1.

Maybe I should rethink about keeping the '22 Lightning instead of trading it in for the 11 month old ordered '23 MME somewhere in the twilight zone ???
No one has confirmed it is HVBJB. My ‘21 Job 1 car has been issue free for the most part. Guess I’m lucky or maybe the forum is just where people go to report issues.
Sponsored