I'm Done - 2023 Powertrain & High Voltage Battery Failure

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
No one has confirmed it is HVBJB. My ‘21 Job 1 car has been issue free for the most part. Guess I’m lucky or maybe the forum is just where people go to report issues.
Look at the 2nd picture...
Sponsored

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
Eh you can make out well if you are patient. All of the teething EV issues get worked out, if bad they buy your car back after a year or so and you come out ahead, if they have issues longterm you get a battery under warranty. If you have no issues you have an awesome car experience.
I've been following other EVs also, Was looking at the Taycan and Audi GT, and they had problems with their cars shutting off in the middle of the road. I think VW ID4s also were plagued with problems. The Lucid Air had problems where the car would go in the opposite direction as intended. And of course Tesla had tons of teething problems when they were ramping up.

I like my GTPE, but I have to put up with so many software glitches and the looming HVBJB failure. I think that once the 2nd gen EVs come along, things should smooth out quite a bit.

Having said that, I really want the new Lotus EV, but It feels like playing Russian roulette. British cars were never known for their reliable electrical components.

Last edited:

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
I've been following other EVs also, Was looking at the Taycan and Audi GT, and they had problems with their cars shutting off in the middle of the road. I think VW ID4s also were plagued with problems. The Lucid Air had problems where the car would go in the opposite direction as intended. And of course Tesla had tons of teething problems when they were ramping up.

I like my GTPE, but I have to put up with so many software glitches and the looming HVBJB failure. I think that once the 2nd gen EVs come along, things should smooth out quite a bit.

Haven't said that, I really want the new Lotus EV, but It feels like playing Russian roulette. British cars were never known for their reliable electrical components.
Oh yeah you can't complain if you buy a British EV, honestly same for delorean, clearly that car will have issues.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Oh yeah you can't complain if you buy a British EV, honestly same for delorean, clearly that car will have issues.
Oh you mean Land Rover / Jaguar / Range Rover ?

Had one recently for 3 years on a lease and glad to have gotten rid of it - did not even get close to miles / year because it was in the dealer service dept for 18 months out of the year.

Many parts had to be imported from the UK.

The only silver lining:
- excellent off roading capability - took the Monterey, CA Land Rover Off Road experience course and loved it.
- got to drive many Jags, Rovers, Velars and Discovery loaners for many months....
- refunded money at the end of lease due to low miles.

MacherAWD

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 AWD Select C&T, 2020 Bolt Premier
Occupation
Software Implementation Manager
Country flag
Oh you mean Land Rover / Jaguar / Range Rover ?

Had one recently for 3 years on a lease and glad to have gotten rid of it - did not even get close to miles / year because it was in the dealer service dept for 18 months out of the year.

Many parts had to be imported from the UK.

The only silver lining:
- excellent off roading capability - took the Monterey, CA Land Rover Off Road experience course and loved it.
- got to drive many Jags, Rovers, Velars and Discovery loaners for many months....
- refunded money at the end of lease due to low miles.
They are cool cars, but yeah a headache, I remember thinking WOW a 10 year old discovery is so cheap, I should buy one, then you start researching.....

Womps

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E & 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Super
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I thought we could still drive at reduced power if we had an HVBJB failure. I was seriously looking at a Genesis GV60 before purchasing the MME. Biggest reason I didn’t was because of the wait time to get one here in Alberta. I am registered on the Genesis forum and there are lots of complaints there. One of the biggest complaints is the lack of help from Genesis corp. Lots of complaining for very few GV 60’s on the road. All manufacturers have duds. OP, I hope Ford treats you right and you can move in a different direction and hopefully with a smile on your face!

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
Sorry you are experiencing this. Get and drive the car you want!

I do not accept 'teething' issues, 'growing pains', etc. as necessary parts of early new technology or what early adopters should understandably endure. The real question is why units with the same components and the same software should behave so differently? If one vehicle has these problems then every vehicle can have these problems.

The software should be architected with core and essential features that should be stable and which are uncoupled from other features. Drive train and battery are two of these core and essential features that should be stable and uncoupled.

In my opinion most of the issues experienced by MME owners are due to flawed software architecture. Unfortunately, because Ford will not - at least they have not - shared enough information for owners to really know, we are in the position of trying to naively reverse engineer in order to understand the architecture. Note: Naive does not mean dumb. Just that we are guessing based on experience without sufficient information to actually know.

Blue highway

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR RWD
Country flag
Really !

I thought the HVBJB issue was behind us for '23 ???

Did Ford not change out the parts completely or are they using the same old parts from their bin boxes ?

OTOH: my first gen, first model year, guinea pig tester:'22 Lightning has been nothing but short of perfect since day 1.

Maybe I should rethink about keeping the '22 Lightning instead of trading it in for the 11 month old ordered '23 MME somewhere in the twilight zone ???
lots of leaping to conclusions... maybe HVBJB... maybe not.

jay1122

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E select AWD
Country flag
It is just bad luck. Although, going with mass volume models like Tesla usually is a better idea. More cars on the road equal to more problems to be discovered and improved upon. More data for cause and repair methods.

Personally, break down during warranty is not that big of a deal. Although if it happens too often, my confidence for the brand reliability is definitely going down. What annoys me with non-luxurious brands is the service quality. These dealers are always "out of loaner". When you get your $60K MME in for service and you are not even complemented with a loaner, it sure make things way worse. I know there is the Ford EV team open a case method, but there is a limit on rental $. Definitely a hassle too.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
Haven't said that, I really want the new Lotus EV, but It feels like playing Russian roulette. British cars were never known for their reliable electrical components.
Just bring some replacement smoke with you. :)

About 6 months ago I was driving to work early one morning pre-dawn. I saw a backup ahead and when I finally got through it I saw a completely bricked (not even parking lights or blinkers) Jaguar I-Pace. The owner (an older gentleman) was standing behind the car with a flashlight waiving people around. Jag is owned by the Indians and built in eastern(?) Europe now, but some reputations transcend ownership/build location I guess.

Smokekit2.jpg

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag