I'm Done - 2023 Powertrain & High Voltage Battery Failure

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
The vehicle also thinks it's plugged in. Couldn't it also be an onboard charger issue?
Right, everyone jumps to that conclusion because the very vague message is there for the JB failure, but it is just that, a vague/generic message that could relate to a number of components in the chain. Or it could be the junction box, but for a different reason than welded contacts. There is no way to know unless we get a tear down report on what the failure is and nothing in this thread indicates the cause with certainty.

There could have been another part in the junction box that failed, could be as simple as a loose cable somewhere. Could be welded contacts. The point is claiming it's one thing when it isn't certain is the opposite of helpful to anyone on this site.
Sponsored

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
Sell it. I sold mine and my life got 200 times better.

Fremont Kid

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach e Premium AWD
Occupation
Retired IT
Country flag
Anyone defending this, please get off the kool-aid.
So demonstrate that Ford has shared sufficient information to know how we owners can actually understand how the software works? I would love to have this information.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Last edited:

VindictivePantz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MACH-E Premium AWD w/ Ext. Battery
Country flag
So far, when I thought I had the HVBCB failure, I didn't. DTC code matched another TSB, the updates were performed, and have not had the issue again thus far. I had ALL of the symptoms of a HVBCB failure, to the point the BEV team suspected it as well before the codes came in.

Interestingly enough, departure times are now working from the app consistently, so I suspect there were other software gremlins fixed in the update.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Just bring some replacement smoke with you. :)

About 6 months ago I was driving to work early one morning pre-dawn. I saw a backup ahead and when I finally got through it I saw a completely bricked (not even parking lights or blinkers) Jaguar I-Pace. The owner (an older gentleman) was standing behind the car with a flashlight waiving people around. Jag is owned by the Indians and built in eastern(?) Europe now, but some reputations transcend ownership/build location I guess.

Smokekit2.jpg
The I-pace is built in Austria by Magna Steyr for Jaguar, which is probably one of the reasons why it hasn't really had any updates as Jaguar don't make much money of them compared to if had they built it in house so is there has been very little incentive other than tinkering, shame really as Magna Steyr demonstrated one with an updated power train and 300 miles of range back in 2020.

Jaguar was supposed to follow it up with an EV xj all part of reinventing themselves as an EV only brand but it got cancelled at the last minute with everything pushed back to 2025, you get the impression the JLR owners Tata really care about the J part and are just letting it slowly die.

As for the general reliability of the lotus EV, it is going to be as reliable as a volvo / polestar EVs as it is all going to the be coming out of the same geely parts bin.

joes723

First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 GTPE IBSM "LITHEUM"
Country flag
One of my best friends who has a '22 Tesla M3P with about 50K on it, was just stranded last weekend cause his Tesla bricked. Basically, it threw all the same codes as if the HVBJB failed, the 12V or a combination of them both. He had to wait for about 5 hours in the dead of night trying to get towed to the nearest Tesla service center. Shit happens, its not just specific to our vehicles or even EV's in general.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
One of my best friends who has a '22 Tesla M3P with about 50K on it, was just stranded last weekend cause his Tesla bricked. Basically, it threw all the same codes as if the HVBJB failed, the 12V or a combination of them both. He had to wait for about 5 hours in the dead of night trying to get towed to the nearest Tesla service center. Shit happens, its not just specific to our vehicles or even EV's in general.
Hyundai Ioniq 5 is having the same issue as well

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
So why state on this forum>
It boggles my mind what would possess someone to maintain a posting account for a car they sold a year ago only to troll current owners.

cbcasas

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Could be another issue and not the HVBJB. A lot of owners still get SVS and it clears 10 mins later. Either way, still a drag.

Vulnox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat PB, 2022 Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
It boggles my mind what would possess someone to maintain a posting account for a car they sold a year ago only to troll current owners.
It's always, always down to ego. They want to feel like they didn't screw up by buying some vehicle to begin with, or are trying to convince themselves the replacement vehicle is actually worth the cost. If they can claim enough times that theirs is flawless and spend enough time seeing the occasional issue others have on the vehicle they sold, then their ego gets a boost. They are providing nothing to anyone else and will gladly overlook the issues with the new vehicle for a while at least.

What these types absolutely don't want you to do is to browse their forums and find basically the same issues.

https://www.i4talk.com/threads/problems-with-your-i4.7063/

Software issues, PaaK issues, front motor replacement recall?! Battery bricked and had to be replaced already? What?! But the i4 is flawless!

Many do have a perfect i4, so far, but many MME owners have perfect cars. While we are only 6 months into our 2022 ownership, it hasn't had a single issue. Software is great, motors are great, received about six OTA updates so far, no HVBJB failures, etc. So by the only metric that matters to this individual, their own experience, I can say that the MME is flawless.

Anyway, I wouldn't say that. The MME isn't flawless. OTA updates could come quicker, BC 1.2 is going to drag out I am sure. While my worries about my HVBJB are low, they aren't zero. But the i4 is definitely not a guaranteed solution, clearly, and to indicate otherwise is just feeding the ego.

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
So why stay on this forum>
To make sure I made the right choice and every single time I'm greeted with a "yep"

As I'm typing this message my friend just messaged me "I have a ford lightning right now replacing the battery at 3k miles"

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

• Wow
Reactions: ARK

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
It's always, always down to ego. They want to feel like they didn't screw up by buying some vehicle to begin with, or are trying to convince themselves the replacement vehicle is actually worth the cost. If they can claim enough times that theirs is flawless and spend enough time seeing the occasional issue others have on the vehicle they sold, then their ego gets a boost. They are providing nothing to anyone else and will gladly overlook the issues with the new vehicle for a while at least.

What these types absolutely don't want you to do is to browse their forums and find basically the same issues.

https://www.i4talk.com/threads/problems-with-your-i4.7063/

Software issues, PaaK issues, front motor replacement recall?! Battery bricked and had to be replaced already? What?! But the i4 is flawless!

Many do have a perfect i4, so far, but many MME owners have perfect cars. While we are only 6 months into our 2022 ownership, it hasn't had a single issue. Software is great, motors are great, received about six OTA updates so far, no HVBJB failures, etc. So by the only metric that matters to this individual, their own experience, I can say that the MME is flawless.

Anyway, I wouldn't say that. The MME isn't flawless. OTA updates could come quicker, BC 1.2 is going to drag out I am sure. While my worries about my HVBJB are low, they aren't zero. But the i4 is definitely not a guaranteed solution, clearly, and to indicate otherwise is just feeding the ego.

You can browse those as well I don't mind. Every car is gonna have a subset of bad issues, but Mach E the sample size is larger (this is a way bigger forum), plus the amount of issues posted here are like x20 the amount posted on any other car forum. It's to the point where you can't ignore it, and I don't like that everyone acts like it's fine. It's a problem and Ford should pay attention. Like some other poster said, it's been 3 years and cars are still having the same problem.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
To make sure I made the right choice and every single time I'm greeted with a "yep"

As I'm typing this message my friend just messaged me "I have a ford lightning right now replacing the battery at 3k miles"

looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
Gotta love the IGNORE feature. Bye.
Sponsored