Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
You mean in 8 years or 100,000 miles? Someone priced a HVJB replacement here. Me I will wait until the warranty runs out.
Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
I thought about that, but I don’t want to lose power while driving. The powertrain warning - to me - is serious business. I don’t think the car is safe. If this is a overheating issue then it’s a matter of time before it comes back. I don’t want to drive on the highway, suddenly stall, and get rear ended.
That won't happen. It's a power limit (still drives) or a SSN that only shuts everything down after you've come to a stop. It's perfectly fine to drive it to the dealer with a "service vehicle soon" message.

Kopytka

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Extended Range
Country flag
I thought about that, but I don’t want to lose power while driving. The powertrain warning - to me - is serious business. I don’t think the car is safe. If this is a overheating issue then it’s a matter of time before it comes back. I don’t want to drive on the highway, suddenly stall, and get rear ended.
Take this for what it's worth, as I'm neither a forum regular nor do I have a lot of expertise (compared to so many great resources here), but your behavior (and/or the way you express yourself via your posts) makes it very hard to have much sympathy for you.

Many here have had incredibly frustrating issues - especially considering everyone here spent a pretty penny to be part of the early adopter Ford-EV club. That said, this thread is so rich in entitlement, ignorance and general look_at_me_everyone that it's of little surprise to me that the dealer was not exactly ready to jump at the chance to assist you (despite, as everyone said, you not really needing to call the dealer anyway).

As many have said, best of luck to you - hopefully you are able to extract yourself successfully from this car and head off into that BMW sunset. My post is only to point out that you might be best served by modifying the way you react to events, perhaps approach your interactions with others with a bit more humility and after you most assuredly go through another nightmare like this that you realize that you are the one constant (any may need to change up your approach to life's frustrations and nut punches).

scoopman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 KIA EV6 GT, 2021 VW ID.4 Pro S
Occupation
former electric pony jockey
Country flag
Damn it, I beat the hell out of my 21 GTPE and can't get the HVBJB failure to occur. The car is cursed!!! It just won't break. It's about to hit 18k on the oh-doh-meter.

I did just get 4.2.2 update, again. The message said something like "we sent it to you again for housekeeping measures" or something.
Drive like a housekeeper by running it to a low SOC, doing a DCFC, then run it on a highway or in some hills. That should get some load into your contactors!

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Warranty at time of my purchase says electric vehicle components then goes on to define it as the high voltage battery and eDrive systems. For me at least battery to motors. Shafts and CV's maybe 5 years 🤷‍♂️ You can download the warranty in PDF there is a link here or at ford.

Like the Tesla plug good one 👍 sure the tesla will be worth so much more and why? Super duper batteries? At least MME has modules and they are not all glued together. All components can be replaced. HVJB is like a tranny job but easier. Don't see your logic in my crystal ball. I will see if I will still be driving it at 10 years old and paid cash.

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Driving School Instructor
Country flag
Strictly from a financial point of view, on average one would be best to keep the car until the wheels fall off (well unless it is a Toyota EV) ;)

Ford will honor the HVBJB issues warranty or not. This is an educated guess from past experience. If Ford wants to be in it for the long haul, they will at minimum retro fit a part that will last longer. This is their maiden voyage in many respects and they are going to get killed on reputation if they don't make it right.

I have actually have had a few vehicles that honored the part after the warranty expired. I had a 1991 Grand Am that had issues with the head gasket in their 4 cylinder engines (quad 4). The head gasket went out and after I called GMCARES, they took care of it with it being 15k past the warranty. In doing that, that will get you a fair amount of miles without pocketbook costs.

In any event, if you are trading cars every 3 years it really doesn't matter what you get. You are paying up the nose in either event. You may not realize it, but you are in effect paying much more for newer tech than to repair your own car. I currently own 8 cars and I know this all too well....................................😜

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Strictly from a financial point of view, on average one would be best to keep the car until the wheels fall off (well unless it is a Toyota EV) ;)

Ford will honor the HVBJB issues warranty or not. This is an educated guess from past experience. If Ford wants to be in it for the long haul, they will at minimum retro fit a part that will last longer. This is their maiden voyage in many respects and they are going to get killed on reputation if they don't make it right.

I have actually have had a few vehicles that honored the part after the warranty expired. I had a 1991 Grand Am that had issues with the head gasket in their 4 cylinder engines (quad 4). The head gasket went out and after I called GMCARES, they took care of it with it being 15k past the warranty. In doing that, that will get you a fair amount of miles without pocketbook costs.

In any event, if you are trading cars every 3 years it really doesn't matter what you get. You are paying up the nose in either event. You may not realize it, but you are in effect paying much more for newer tech than to repair your own car. I currently own 8 cars and I know this all too well....................................😜
I have two vehicles and roll them down and out. The MME may last a while who knows. Had some problems they get fixed no more problems. Nice drive into town with it and more than enough juice now and in the future. I don't see that fun/enjoyment getting old any time soon.

Maybe a 500 mile range solid state for the third and second time all ev? Thinking it should be worth more than the same year ICE by then? I know I will not be getting much for the ICE I have right now but it owes me nothing and has been good so far. It is not an investment but for the select few that become antiques in mint condition. Not changing the oil in this one. Not even thinking about pulling calibers and changing the pads. Really the mechanics on this are simpler motor shaft wheel and in theory should be cheaper than ICE.

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Country flag
I have two vehicles and roll them down and out. The MME may last a while who knows. Had some problems they get fixed no more problems. Nice drive into town with it and more than enough juice now and in the future. I don't see that fun/enjoyment getting old any time soon.

Maybe a 500 mile range solid state for the third and second time all ev? Thinking it should be worth more than the same year ICE by then? I know I will not be getting much for the ICE I have right now but it owes me nothing and has been good so far. It is not an investment but for the select few that become antiques in mint condition. Not changing the oil in this one. Not even thinking about pulling calibers and changing the pads. Really the mechanics on this are simpler motor shaft wheel and in theory should be cheaper than ICE.
Totally agree. Fewer mechanical parts should lead to fewer costly repairs. Once again, if there is a default that is known it will either be solved via a recall or Ford will step up and "make it better" (we hope).

In any event, when adding up all of the costs one would be best (like it or not) to keep your current EV and close your eyes to technology similar to when purchasing a TV or other electronics in the near future. Things usually get better but at a cost.

Nice post.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
I'm less concern about the HVBJB out of warranty. At least there is a known fix. Worst case scenario is that you're out 3k to fix it. I'm more worried about all the electrical gremlins in the software where there are no known fix. Or new ones that pop up out of warranty.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm less concern about the HVBJB out of warranty. At least there is a known fix. Worst case scenario is that you're out 3k to fix it. I'm more worried about all the electrical gremlins in the software where there are no known fix. Or new ones that pop up out of warranty.
By electrical gremlins in the software you mean memory leaks and data corruption? Good thing is with those a clean install usually clears all up and no hardware is required. We just need one good legacy MME sync 4a version (all modules) and agree we may not be there yet. Third year same OS/car while ramping up production gives hope. Has gotten much better and hoping Ford has got this but only time will tell. Appears patience is required and by the end of three years we should all know.

4sallypat

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MME delivered May '23 + '22 Lightning July '22
Occupation
Network Tech
Country flag
Have a noob question about this HVBJB issue:

Why hasn't the Lightning had this issue ?

Do they use a different part that is immune to failure ?

Can they transplant the Lightning contactors to the MME ??

DennisD

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E
Occupation
Country flag
Ford (if they are wise) will extend the warranty with or without the "safety" in mind. I could give countless examples of when they do but I will just name the two that I personally experienced.

Ford Focus Transmission and Toyota Tacoma rusted frame.

In both cases, the warranty was extended and we are not talking just 4k past the original warranty but many miles past it. (I am not even sure if it wasn't infinite?) You did however need to file the warranty work before the expiration of their recall. In other words, you could have a 10 year old Tacoma and you would still be good as long as you took it in on the window allowed.

In any event, Ford (with MME) being their maiden voyage if you will, will honor the issue of the High Voltage Junction Battery issues well past the original warranty IMO.

As far as your wife not being stranded with an older car, many times a new car will fail at a higher rate than one within a 100k mile period in my experience. I usually tell people that if your car hasn't had an issue within 36k, you most likely will be good to go until at least 100k with no issues.

The newer cars of today will last so much longer than the older ones (30 years ago). Once again, you are paying a high price for keeping a new car. If it is something that you like, then go for it. If it is for break downs or financial reasons, keep the car. Like I have said, I have owned well north of a 100+ cars and it more times than not works out that way.
Sponsored