I'm going to miss the satellite view of the maps...or will I?

LYTMCQ

First Name
Lyt
Reaction score
First Name
Lyt
Vehicles
Telsa Model 3 LR AWD
Country flag
One of the cool things on the Model 3 is that the nav is full on satellite view on a big screen. The Mach-E nav is the "map" version vs. the satellite version. Will the Mach-E offer a satellite nav version? If they don't, since the car runs Apple Car Play will we be able to run Google Maps in Satellite view for the Nav?

macchiaz-o

Reaction score
Vehicles
Fiesta
Country flag
I don't think we know anything yet about the built-in map's imagery options.

I've also never used CarPlay. But I can say that if you decide to navigate with maps from Android Auto, then it's the app on your phone coordinating that navigation and not the car. Maps from the phone (be it Google Maps, Waze, or whatever) are totally disconnected from maps from the car's built-in interface. The only thing they may have in common is some of the car's hardware sensors (location, heading, velocity, etc.).

FredT

First Name
Fred
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicles
1999 Mercedes 320E. 2003 Passat Wagon, just finished lease of 2017 Audi A3 Enron
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
One of the cool things on the Model 3 is that the nav is full on satellite view on a big screen. The Mach-E nav is the "map" version vs. the satellite version. Will the Mach-E offer a satellite nav version? If they don't, since the car runs Apple Car Play will we be able to run Google Maps in Satellite view for the Nav?
I see no reason why it wouldn't, but it wouldn't be able to take advantage of that beautiful big screen. Does anyone know who Ford uses for mapping?

OP
LYTMCQ

LYTMCQ

First Name
Lyt
Reaction score
First Name
Lyt
Vehicles
Telsa Model 3 LR AWD
Country flag
I see no reason why it wouldn't, but it wouldn't be able to take advantage of that beautiful big screen
What portion of the screen is allotted to CarPlay?

FredT

First Name
Fred
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicles
1999 Mercedes 320E. 2003 Passat Wagon, just finished lease of 2017 Audi A3 Enron
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I haven't seen Google Maps on Mach E screen, but it looks like CarPlay window runs in upper half of the screen.

Mach-E_Go-Electric_045.jpg

MadScientist

Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes
Country flag
One of the recent videos, it showed the upper half of screen expanding to about 2/3 when the X symbol in the upper right screen was pressed.

agoldman

First Name
Alan
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicles
2020 volvo xc60 Polestar Edition Plug-in
Country flag
Placing that big volume knob in the screen is such a waste of space. And kinda wierd that the bottom bezel is so much smaller than the top one.

Cvdbos

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicles
Reserved a Mach e, RWD, ER, Technology pack plus, infinity blue.
Occupation
Retired LtCol RNLA
Country flag
Placing that big volume knob in the screen is such a waste of space. And kinda wierd that the bottom bezel is so much smaller than the top one.
I don't agree on your feelings towards the volume knob. I already read somewhere that they are planning to give the knob four different functions. You can choose them by pressing the left, upper, right for downside of the knob and then you have an easy way to adjust the volume or three other functions. In the middle of the knob the parent function should then be visible.
Ik think this is a splendid idea and it is very user friendly.

FredT

First Name
Fred
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Or perhaps Google Maps can run as a native app. It looks like maybe Waze already can (unless this all just dummy stuff):

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 7.18.30 AM.png

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
In 2020 there should be almost no bezels.

ab13

Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
I would assume Android Auto or Carplay supports whatever their mapping app supports. Garmin does have satellite view options, but I guess it depends on how much people are willing to pay for it, regarding whether it will be offered.

For newer owners, Tesla charges $10 a month after the trial period for the service package with satellite view.
https://www.tesla.com/support/connectivity

ab13

Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
I don't agree on your feelings towards the volume knob. I already read somewhere that they are planning to give the knob four different functions. You can choose them by pressing the left, upper, right for downside of the knob and then you have an easy way to adjust the volume or three other functions. In the middle of the knob the parent function should then be visible.
Ik think this is a splendid idea and it is very user friendly.
To me it's one of the best parts of the user interface. I wouldn't want something that had basically only touchscreen. I always grab the knobs by instinct and don't need to move my eyes from the road.

OP
LYTMCQ

LYTMCQ

First Name
Lyt
Reaction score
First Name
Lyt
Vehicles
Telsa Model 3 LR AWD
Country flag
One of the recent videos, it showed the upper half of screen expanding to about 2/3 when the X symbol in the upper right screen was pressed.
If Google Maps with satellite view used 60% of screen that would be pretty good.