Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Mini Countryman & 2021 Mach E Ex.R. AWD
Occupation
Civil Plaintiff's Attorney
Country flag
That cost me time and money to file plus whatever time I would waste from my attorney, and don't I lose that right when I signed the agreement and paid already?
File it yourself. A lot fo places, attorneys aren't allowed in small claims court. Just ask an attorney friend to help make sure you have all the evidence you need. There's a duress element to it. If they told you they would sell your car after you waited however many months without paying the increased price, thats duress. You can argue they violated the contract to sell.
Sponsored

mburtsvt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just 1 Rapid Red Mach-E
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
If you financed through the dealer, they made money off that. So, shed no tears for them and their cry me a river claim of only getting a $773 commission off X-plan. I don't buy that claim anyway, since the X-plan price has got to be more than $773 over dealer invoice price.
In general if you financed with a dealer option, (bank/credit union/etc) the dealer get a finders fee of around the first three payments. One of my favorite things to do is take their financing and switch to a different financing option before the 3 months are up., (my bank, my credit union etc.) The dealer would not get the "finders fee".

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Expedition EL, 2012 Mustang GT, 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 13 year owner/operator 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 - sold Nov. 2014
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
I've got my ...
Inspection sheet courtesy of @ChasingCoral
My MCOA membership info with X-Plan pin written down
My insurance info/license/proof of residency
My pre-approval letter/check from Navy Federal
The printout of the updated $100 early adopter plan for Auto Driving Assist from @hybrid2bev

What am I forgetting? I think I've decided on a name, but not locked in yet. LOL

Here's my timeline, and I'm well aware that I'm super lucky and shouldn't have my car yet. Ford Estimated delivery would be between 2-23 and 3-1 and it arrived by truck on 2-16.
Order Date 6-29-20
Scheduled for Production aka Built 1-12-21
Built aka Shipped 1-22-21
Arrived at Final Rail Destination 2-12-21
Left by Transport Truck/Arrived at Dealership 2-16-21 (it came on a transport truck with a GT Mustang 5.0 and an F-150 SuperCrew 2.7

Thanks to all of you who've helped me pass the days with the various trackers, palsapp info, and even how to track a rail car through Norfolk Southern, which is something I'd never imagine doing in my life. But desperate times call for desperate measures.

20210216_170429.jpg

20210216_170416.jpg
Congrats! Good luck!

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Well this dealership is a nightmare. Bait and switch, talking about selling my car out from under me. To say I'm pissed is an understatement. More details to come
Don't beat yourself up. You won't be the last that will get a surprise when they go in to complete the purchase on their Mach-E, I'm sure. You still got a great car at what's probably still a below market price. They probably could have gotten $3k more from someone new off the street.

Without a prior agreement in writing/email, they weren't guaranteeing to give you X-Plan (which is a fixed 2% off MSRP +$275, andd doc fees caped at $100). They had the leverage. Sounds like you did good to get the deal you did in a tough spot with a crappy dealer.

OP
OP
Rocky29670

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Don't beat yourself up. You won't be the last that will get a surprise when they go in to complete the purchase on their Mach-E, I'm sure. You still got a great car at what's probably still a below market price. They probably could have gotten $3k more from someone new off the street.

Without a prior agreement in writing/email, they weren't guaranteeing to give you X-Plan (which is a fixed 2% off MSRP +$275, andd doc fees caped at $100). They had the leverage. Sounds like you did good to get the deal you did in a tough spot with a crappy dealer.
I had it in emails, but they weren't going to budge off of their prices and I didn't want to risk leaving the dealership and have them sell my car while I was consulting with my attorney over $1000 or so.

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
I had it in emails, but they weren't going to budge off of their prices and I didn't want to risk leaving the dealership and have them sell my car while I was consulting with my attorney over $1000 or so.
Sometimes dealers say they will sell the car to someone else as a ploy. I don’t think they were bluffing. I bought my First Edition on Thursday, and they knew I was nervous due to its Mid-November build date. The salesperson told me he had 3 people as “backups” for the car if I didn’t want it, and showed me the folder. This created a “take it or leave it” dynamic that you described. As I reflected on it, the dynamic also drove home the point that I was buying something cool/valuable, something other people were waiting to snatch away from me if given a chance.

I guess what I’m saying is I hope you find joy in buying something cool/valuable, and make your peace with not allowing someone else to snatch it from you. Cheers!

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Mine arrived at the dealer today and they should have it ready for me tomorrow. I'm in the same boat - I have emails confirming X-Plan for it, no ADM, etc. But the reality is if I show up tomorrow and they choose to be dicks and say "Well, sorry, but the market value is a lot higher now, so you can take it or leave it", I'd be screwed. It's just not worth going through the hassle and expense of trying to sue them for a 3% price difference or something, even if I have emails committing to honoring X-Plan. It's really just leverage to try and get them to do the right thing and honor their commitment.

I feel pretty good about establishing a good relationship with them (including the GM that had to take over handling my order last year because the internet sales person was so clueless). But I'd be lying if I said I was 100% confident they won't try to pull something. Right now MMEs in stock simply have higher than MSRP market value. They have the leverage.

OP
OP
Rocky29670

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Sold), 2013 Ford Fusion (borrowing until MME gets here), Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Mine arrived at the dealer today and they should have it ready for me tomorrow. I'm in the same boat - I have emails confirming X-Plan for it, no ADM, etc. But the reality is if I show up tomorrow and they choose to be dicks and say "Well, sorry, but the market value is a lot higher now, so you can take it or leave it", I'd be screwed. It's just not worth going through the hassle and expense of trying to sue them for a 3% price difference or something, even if I have emails committing to honoring X-Plan. It's really just leverage to try and get them to do the right thing and honor their commitment.

I feel pretty good about establishing a good relationship with them (including the GM that had to take over handling my order last year because the internet sales person was so clueless). But I'd be lying if I said I was 100% confident they won't try to pull something. Right now MMEs in stock simply have higher than MSRP market value. They have the leverage.
I thought I had a good relationship with this dealer before today, outside of poor communication on their part. My family has bought 2 cars there in the last 3 years, but they seemed to not care and wanted to be greedy.

This is why Ford should have the online payment system, like Tesla's, operational yesterday. I know it's planned and not ready, but this just shows how dealers can be con artists and will try and rip you off whenever they get an opportunity. Now it all makes sense that they released my $1000 deposit without my consent or warning a few months ago. This was to release my right of first refusal, I got the feeling that if I walked away today that vehicle would have been gone before I could do anything about it.

I hope nobody has to go through that, but it's really hard to walk away from something even though you're getting screwed in the deal. Both the dealership and I knew I really wanted that car.

On the bright side, I've really enjoyed driving it outside of the issues with Ford Pass and Android Auto not working well.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Just enjoy your car now .... can’t beat yourself up ... there are folks paying 6k ADM near me.

EVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
spark EV.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Folks there is a reason people like the Tesla selling model, and this is a big one.
Grass is always greener on the other side. :) If it was Tesla, the Mach-e would be marked up by $5000. The price manipulation will be from the company instead of a dealer. Recall the fiasco with the first Model 3 deliveries? Tesla delivered a large number of cars to people who were waiting for 2+ years right before quarter end, then slashed prices by thousands of dollars right after the delivery rush. When the electrek author complained on twitter because he also got cheated and started making too much noise, Elon offered to refund $5000 to some people. We surely won't be talking about discounts so early on.

https://www.fox13now.com/2018/10/27/tesla-slashes-price-of-model-3-performance-package/
"But some drivers who had already purchased the $5,000 upgrade package were not pleased.

“This is a sh—y thing to do to a bunch of people who have been waiting for their cars for years – just to now to be devalued by $5,000 a month into ownership,” Fred Lambert, editor-in-chief of tech blog Eletrek, said on Twitter."
BTW, I commend the OP's attitude of taking things in a good spirit. Am sure you will give them appropriate rating when time comes. AT least he seems to have gotten a better financing rate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rocky29670

Rocky29670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
In today's drama with the dealership, I got an automated dealer satisfaction survey where I one starred everyone I dealt with and called them out for their nonsense. No less than 30 minutes, later the internet sales manager and I suppose GM call me and ask why I wasn't satisfied and negatively reviewed them? I told them because they lied about the MSRP from the GM down and this pettiness only reinforces it. They told me to just bring back the car and they'd tear up my contract and sell it to someone else. I told them in no uncertain words to KMA and that's not how contracts work. I have no problems with the car, it's their dealership.

After being harassed and yelled at by the dealership, I immediately called the Ford Customer Satisfaction number and explained the situation to an associate who couldn't have been more understanding and was livid on my behalf at the end of the phone call and assured me she would report this to her highest level, which was the dealer satisfaction department or something like that. And they'd gather facts and get back to me over the next week or two. I told her I didn't want or expect anything from anyone and definitely didn't ever want to hear from that dealership again. But just wanted to voice my displeasure with that dealership who ruined what should have been an awesome day yesterday, and today was just uncalled for and childish. You lie, you get a negative review; take your lumps and move on.
Sponsored