Impact of cold weather on EV range. Why high range is important to those in cold climates.

TheLight75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Here is some data based on recent use I metered in my Kona EV which shows why high EPA range is important to a lot of us that live in cold climates.

My Kona EV has EPA range of 258 miles. Cool.
Last week, after I charged it to 100%, it said that I had 256 miles of range in 49F temp. Still cool!
I drove it for 3 days mostly on the highway at 75 mph until it told me that I only had 50 miles of range left. Temperature averaged 49F-52F.
The odometer said that I had driven 163 miles in that time. 163 (actual) + 50 (est. range left) = 213 miles. Ugh..
Due to a combo of temperature & highway driving, my real range was 17.4% less than the EPA range.
Once the temps drop into the 30's consistently, I expect my range to be about 30% less than the EPA range.

Assuming a similar impact on the AWD Premium MME, then I'd be getting about 223 miles on a full charge @ 50F (or 189 miles @ 30F) if the EPA range comes in at the projected 270 miles. If EPA range only comes in at 250 miles, then I'm down to 206 miles @ 50F / 175 miles @ 30F, which isn't ideal if I want to go on any kind of a winter road trip. Assuming I keep my battery between 10%-80% on a road trip, that's a workable max distance between charging stops of 144 miles @ 50F / 122 miles @ 30F.

If Ford surprised us with a max EPA range of 290 miles on the AWD Premium MME, then we'd be talking 167 miles @ 50F / 142 miles @ 30F between charging stops, which is more palatable.
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
You have it good LOL.

In winter my old Focus Electric's range would drop by half. Yup from a whopping 70 miles down to 35 or maybe 40 if I was lucky.

With its larger battery the Bolt isn't nearly as bad..I've seen a 30% drop or so like your expecting.

S.B.

First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
This is a concern of mine. I drive 75 miles to get to work and will have my vehicle exposed to the elements for 12 hours. The last thing I need after a hard day is to have to find a charger in order to just get home. I’m so hoping this concern does not prove to be the case as I would then need a new winter vehicle.

MattG

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E, Crosstrek, Lotus Elise, Jeep Wrangler LJ
Country flag
I’ll be parking mine outside a lot but leaving it plugged in, so am counting on Ford having a battery heater that will be used in those times. Temperatures get into the single digits often so this will be a pretty extreme use case.

OP
OP
TheLight75

TheLight75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
This is a concern of mine. I drive 75 miles to get to work and will have my vehicle exposed to the elements for 12 hours. The last thing I need after a hard day is to have to find a charger in order to just get home. I’m so hoping this concern does not prove to be the case as I would then need a new winter vehicle.
It'd be very doable if you could get your employer or their landlord to install a Level 2 charger so your car can charge up some while at work. My employer's landlord installed 2 basic ChargePoint stations in the parking lot last year. First 2 hours are free and after that the kWh rate is less than what I pay for electricity at home.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
It'd be very doable if you could get your employer or their landlord to install a Level 2 charger so your car can charge up some while at work. My employer's landlord installed 2 basic ChargePoint stations in the parking lot last year. First 2 hours are free and after that the kWh rate is less than what I pay for electricity at home.
How do they meter or calculate what you owe for that? Do they have a separate meter?

PeeCee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
First Edition Red Mustang MachE
Country flag
Leaving it in the charger is not a good idea (unless you can specificy charge times onyour charger, but you don't want to always be charnging it even if it's at 100%).

My biggest concern, being from Canada, is the Ice Rain. We have about 2-3 ice rain falls every winter. I'm not too concerned about opening the driver seat as there's a small handle I can pull on if the ice is too thick, but the back doors to bring my daughters to daycare? There's no handle there. I will need to break the ice to reach the button, then hopefully, the force that opens the door will be enough to break the ice around the door.. else I'll have to shimmy inside the car from the front to the back to push open the back doors :D

But yeah, longer trips in winter will need more attention with shorter range.

OP
OP
TheLight75

TheLight75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
How do they meter or calculate what you owe for that? Do they have a separate meter?
Yep! They installed the 2 chargers on the edge of the parking lot close to the power lines. The station has its own metered 3-phase commercial connection. The ChargePoint chargers track the total kWh put into my car beyond the initial 2-hour free period then they charge me through ChargePoint's network at $0.18/kWh (I pay $0.25/kWh at home) straight to my credit card. I've attached a screenshot of the receipt from ChargePoint.

ScreenShot-CP Receipt.png

Last edited:

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag
Yep! They installed the 2 chargers on the edge of the parking lot close to the power lines. The station has its own metered 3-phase commercial connection. The ChargePoint chargers track the total kWh put into my car beyond the initial 2-hour free period then they charge me through ChargePoint's network at $0.18/kWh (I pay $0.25/kWh at home) straight to my credit card.
Do they restrict public access? How do they know it is "your" car to bill you? Only asking as I am trying to figure out if there is a solution we could suggest at my workplace.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Leaving it in the charger is not a good idea (unless you can specificy charge times onyour charger, but you don't want to always be charnging it even if it's at 100%).
Why? All the recommendations I've seen leaving the car plugged in and ready to charge. Also, it is literally impossible to "always be charging". Once the car is charged to the maximum that you set in the car, the charging stops.

OP
OP
TheLight75

TheLight75

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Do they restrict public access? How do they know it is "your" car to bill you? Only asking as I am trying to figure out if there is a solution we could suggest at my workplace.

Very good questions! The landlord has the site configured as restricted to only tenant-use. This is managed through the use of a password they gave me when I asked them about it. The password is only needed the first time charging after which ChargePoint links it to my ChargePoint account. Like most charging networks, I have a ChargePoint RFID tag which identifies me at the station (or I can simply use the ChargePoint app on my phone to initiate the session).

The process looks like this if you don't already have a ChargePoint account:
  1. Register for free ChargePoint account
  2. Request RFID tag be mailed to you
  3. Add credit card info to your ChargePoint account
  4. Download ChargePoint app onto your phone
  5. Drive into ChargePoint spot
  6. Press ChargePoint RFID tag to sensor on charger (or use ChargePoint phone app)
  7. First time only: Enter site password into ChargePoint phone app
  8. Plug cord into my car
  9. Walk away
  10. Unplug car when charging is done
  11. Receipt shows up in my email
You should refer your employee to: https://www.chargepoint.com/incentives/

There's a lot of information there about what it takes to setup a new station. Some states offer sizable incentives to employers who add these kinds of stations which makes them attractive.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
Chargepoint public chargers have "Connections" feature that allows the driver enter a code (once) that allows a different fee rate to be applied. At my office I charge for free, while every other Tom, Dick, and Harry has to fork over $2/hr.

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Here is some data based on recent use I metered in my Kona EV which shows why high EPA range is important to a lot of us that live in cold climates.

My Kona EV has EPA range of 258 miles. Cool.
Last week, after I charged it to 100%, it said that I had 256 miles of range in 49F temp. Still cool!
I drove it for 3 days mostly on the highway at 75 mph until it told me that I only had 50 miles of range left. Temperature averaged 49F-52F.
The odometer said that I had driven 163 miles in that time. 163 (actual) + 50 (est. range left) = 213 miles. Ugh..
Due to a combo of temperature & highway driving, my real range was 17.4% less than the EPA range.
Once the temps drop into the 30's consistently, I expect my range to be about 30% less than the EPA range.

Assuming a similar impact on the AWD Premium MME, then I'd be getting about 223 miles on a full charge @ 50F (or 189 miles @ 30F) if the EPA range comes in at the projected 270 miles. If EPA range only comes in at 250 miles, then I'm down to 206 miles @ 50F / 175 miles @ 30F, which isn't ideal if I want to go on any kind of a winter road trip. Assuming I keep my battery between 10%-80% on a road trip, that's a workable max distance between charging stops of 144 miles @ 50F / 122 miles @ 30F.

If Ford surprised us with a max EPA range of 290 miles on the AWD Premium MME, then we'd be talking 167 miles @ 50F / 142 miles @ 30F between charging stops, which is more palatable.
Exactly and you have not even mentioned the 0 to -10 oF that we can get for solid weeks. They call it range anxiety when it is not for some that want to switch to 100% electric and live in igloos with wood stoves. It is lithium ion tech and spacing of current DC fast chargers. The official EPA "Application Release Date: December 7, 2020" states an epa range of 250 mi. I think that date is the start of delivery? We assume this is for the understanding for those that accept the Mach-e then? We have promises and rumors for those accepting but nothing official. It was noted some big news is coming and we should hold tight; most likely before Dec. 7 one would think? Would like to see official WLTP range. I was hoping for better with 100 Kwh pack (280 to 310 mi range) but right now it is 250 mile on 88 Kwh pack that is current fact. Maybe no rush now to take delivery for some until further facts surface to make a informed decision. Who knows it may be concern over nothing? May just be a 55 mph max trip? So be it that would work.

You may not be running 100 to 0% and for 90 to 10 with 5% degradation and DC fast chargers 125 mi apart with a 250 EPA range we have 125 / (250 x 0.8 - 250 x 0.05) = 67% EPA required. Max range loss due to road conditions, wind, elevation and of course temperature is only 33% (38% @ 270 epa). That may be tight and may not be doable some times. Hoping it works to about -10 oF or a workaround (gas) required.

We should consider the times we are living in and nothing is functioning like a well oil machine right now. I assume paper work is the same. We were rumored increases over estimated EPA earlier and now rumored they will met them? I would of loved to see a 290 to 300 mi epa but that no longer looks like it is in the cards. I would say 270 bets 250, however, have faith Ford will meet estimates for your cals and hold until official if you require.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
2. Request RFID tag be mailed to you
Or simply use NFC on your cell phone. When I signed up for Chargepoint the charged $10 for the card. Also if you ever use non-free Chargepoint station, it charges your credit card $10 and then draws down that prepayment as you use it. I still have $6.05 balance on my account from 3 years ago, when I was using one.
Sponsored