krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
Spent 45 mins in a White CA Route 1 today at my local dealership. It is also where I am ordering my Premium Mach E, build date of 7 Feb. I spent most of the time playing with the system in the car and tried most everything. As far as the Route 1 goes, I love the seat stitching. I am not a dark wheel guy so not crazy about those but some may like that. The manual tailgate was easy to open, a little heavier to close. BTW the car was in direct sun, black interior, and was not hot. The AC worked amazingly well while I was sitting in the car with all windows closed.

• Interface on the screen is generally very easy and logically laid out. I liked that the owners manual has a search function. I typed in "wipers" and got four options immediately.
  • Response time is quick. One quirk is that, if are in a sub menu, you need to "swipe up" to get rid of it in order to see whatever voice menu you ordered up as it will be underneath.
  • I am big on voice commands. I have always found Ford to be among the best at that. I expected crisp responses from my voice commands with good understanding. Unfortunately, in this pre-production car, I got neither. I set the wake up to "OK Ford", but it had trouble hearing that over the music I was playing. Pressing the (too small) voice button on the steering wheel was hit or miss as well for some reason. Hope they fix that. I miss the rear paddle for voice activation on my Escape.
  • I did try just saying a POI name of a restaurant I knew and it found that immediately for the nav and I was all set. The nav looks great and you can pinch and zoom at will. LIke that. It said weather and traffic were "extra" functions that needed to be included in Ford Pass. Thought it was included?
  • The stereo in this car sounds great. Turned treble up a bit, bass up a bit, centered in the cockpit. I found the "all seats" mode sounded much fuller than the "driver" mode of the sound system. Cool setting.
  • All the cameras where crisp and clear.
  • Had trouble pairing my Android phone. It pairs just fine in my Escape and I have never had an issue. Had to pair this one over and over. Again, maybe a pre-production issue. It had no trouble downloading all my contacts, but when I said to call one of them, it did not recognize that.

Overall - voice system not ready, steering wheel buttons a little small. Music sounds great, car is completely able to tailor setting to anyone's liking.
Sponsored

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Many cars calibrate Voice to your voice. Maybe this needs to be done via the Menu?

OP
OP
krafty81

krafty81

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME AWD EX Premium, 2023 Lexus RX350h
Country flag
Many cars calibrate Voice to your voice. Maybe this needs to be done via the Menu?
That could be but I did not find that option under the "voice" sub menu

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Except there's no Scottish option. They gave up on that one ;)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
This is a great post. However, I was a little disappointed. When I first read the title, my brain mistakenly picked out the word impersonation, not "person impression". I was really expecting a comedy routine of mocking the car's voice. ?

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
Spent 45 mins in a White CA Route 1 today at my local dealership. It is also where I am ordering my Premium Mach E, build date of 7 Feb. I spent most of the time playing with the system in the car and tried most everything. As far as the Route 1 goes, I love the seat stitching. I am not a dark wheel guy so not crazy about those but some may like that. The manual tailgate was easy to open, a little heavier to close. BTW the car was in direct sun, black interior, and was not hot. The AC worked amazingly well while I was sitting in the car with all windows closed.

• Interface on the screen is generally very easy and logically laid out. I liked that the owners manual has a search function. I typed in "wipers" and got four options immediately.
  • Response time is quick. One quirk is that, if are in a sub menu, you need to "swipe up" to get rid of it in order to see whatever voice menu you ordered up as it will be underneath.
  • I am big on voice commands. I have always found Ford to be among the best at that. I expected crisp responses from my voice commands with good understanding. Unfortunately, in this pre-production car, I got neither. I set the wake up to "OK Ford", but it had trouble hearing that over the music I was playing. Pressing the (too small) voice button on the steering wheel was hit or miss as well for some reason. Hope they fix that. I miss the rear paddle for voice activation on my Escape.
  • I did try just saying a POI name of a restaurant I knew and it found that immediately for the nav and I was all set. The nav looks great and you can pinch and zoom at will. LIke that. It said weather and traffic were "extra" functions that needed to be included in Ford Pass. Thought it was included?
  • The stereo in this car sounds great. Turned treble up a bit, bass up a bit, centered in the cockpit. I found the "all seats" mode sounded much fuller than the "driver" mode of the sound system. Cool setting.
  • Had trouble pairing my Android phone. It pairs just fine in my Escape and I have never had an issue. Had to pair this one over and over. Again, maybe a pre-production issue. It had no trouble downloading all my contacts, but when I said to call one of them, it did not recognize that.

Overall - voice system not ready, steering wheel buttons a little small. Music sounds great, car is completely able to tailor setting to anyone's liking.
Thanks for the details. Very informative. I also like Voice commands and found Ford Sync to be one of the best.

Some of the issues you may have noticed may be due to preproduction vehicle and not updated software? The small voice button is concerning and will check that out when I get to see again in person in a few weeks at one of the local road shows.

The weather and traffic extra functions and ford pass - interesting - i believe they are included for some time (3 years? or 6 months? not sure) but is the implementation based on ford pass subscription?

ArthurW

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Service Manager ICT company
Country flag

Can you explain what a CA Route 1 model is. Is this a model specific for CA ?

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Can you explain what a CA Route 1 model is. Is this a model specific for CA ?
Its just another trim. All it really is is a long range Select model. It likely will be the longest range Mach-E by a mile or so due to its configuration.

You can go to ford.com on the Mach-E page, pretend you're ordering one and select the California Route 1 model to see what is in it.

Not just for California--I'm in Michigan and ordered one.
Ford Mustang Mach-E In person impressions of preproduction Mach-E HMI, SYNC 4A and other observations Screenshot 2020-11-06 063023
Sponsored