Inaccurate battery percentage after 3.6.2 update

Trick.Mach-E

First Name
Trick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old Raptor, Mach-E4x, New Raptor, F-250, Taycan.
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Country flag
3.6.2 probably resets your driving history, and also resets the BMS. It will take a few weeks of driving for the readings to settle down. I wouldn't worry about the numbers shown on the screen too much, they're both estimates.
I didn't think about the driving history being reset after finally getting OTA 3.6.2 the other day. The update had failed so I ran the update a 2nd time and I noticed the GOM was at 82% and 193 miles of range left. After the update was successful the GOM was still at 82% but now the range was 226 miles left.
Sponsored

Thunderanger

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select, 2019 Ram 1500
Occupation
retired
Country flag
then there's no reason to be so anxious about range
Day to day, absolutely not. On the days I'm planning longer trips, yes there is. Especially here in Northern Missouri where fast chargers are very rare.

Thunderanger

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
So.......after a couple of weeks the GOM was still giving me crazy high #'s. So if it said I had 210 miles, I really only had between 140 and 160 or so.

BUT, after a longer trip last weekend (just about 300 miles or so) the Soc at one point got right to 20% before I charged. Darned if it didn't recalibrate itself.

The next leg I was nearly mile for mile in sync with the GOM, minus a few for the cold and climate control. All was good. I charged one more time on an L2 while I had dinner, then drove the last 20 miles home. Same results. I was thinking, "whew, I can finally trust the GOM again".

But alas, when I plugged it back into my ford charge station at home that night, I awoke to a GOM that was back to greatly exaggerating the miles available again.

Do I need to reset my Ford Charge unit or something? This having to basically pull out a calculator every time to determine how many miles I DO have left is a pain and makes realistically knowing within a handful of miles how much range I have very tricky.

devmach-e

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Premium RWD ER, 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
Occupation
Unix Sysadmin
Country flag
So.......after a couple of weeks the GOM was still giving me crazy high #'s. So if it said I had 210 miles, I really only had between 140 and 160 or so.

BUT, after a longer trip last weekend (just about 300 miles or so) the Soc at one point got right to 20% before I charged. Darned if it didn't recalibrate itself.

The next leg I was nearly mile for mile in sync with the GOM, minus a few for the cold and climate control. All was good. I charged one more time on an L2 while I had dinner, then drove the last 20 miles home. Same results. I was thinking, "whew, I can finally trust the GOM again".

But alas, when I plugged it back into my ford charge station at home that night, I awoke to a GOM that was back to greatly exaggerating the miles available again.

Do I need to reset my Ford Charge unit or something? This having to basically pull out a calculator every time to determine how many miles I DO have left is a pain and makes realistically knowing within a handful of miles how much range I have very tricky.
Resetting the EVSE (Ford Charge unit) won’t help. It just tells the car how much juice it can provide. The car is in charge of how much current it pulls and at what point it wants to stop charging.

The car may still be learning your driving habits. I do agree that it seems overly optimistic about range after a full charge. I fully charged my car yesterday and it said I had 306 miles of range. I’ve driven the car 102 miles. it now shows 169 miles of range left. So my range dropped by 34 miles. Am I upset that I “lost” 34 miles of range? No. I expected that it was going to be about 10% optimistic.

Thunderanger

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Resetting the EVSE (Ford Charge unit) won’t help. It just tells the car how much juice it can provide. The car is in charge of how much current it pulls and at what point it wants to stop charging.

The car may still be learning your driving habits. I do agree that it seems overly optimistic about range after a full charge. I fully charged my car yesterday and it said I had 306 miles of range. I’ve driven the car 102 miles. it now shows 169 miles of range left. So my range dropped by 34 miles. Am I upset that I “lost” 34 miles of range? No. I expected that it was going to be about 10% optimistic.
Ours is normally about 30% off. That's the tricky part. So if we charge to 200 miles of range, we end up with about 140. A lot of the time that's with climate control off as well.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag

Electricity is electricity is electricity. WHAT you charge with is irrelevant. Totally irrelevant.

I find it quite easy to calculate. I round my battery size to 90, and look at my % left and the current miles per kilowatt. I can get close enough in my head. Not really an issue.

I plan my trips conservatively, and then adjust while driving. For example - if I believe I can get 2.5 miles per kilowatt in the winter, I use 2.3.
Sponsored