machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I was using their hardwired charger. Not a good comparison, for sure.
Just a thought here, might be a good idea to change the title of this thread to

"Having issues with the Included Ford Charger Only - Only Working for 120V"

The charger works for L1 and L2 (32 Amps), you are having an issue with either the actual charger, the plug that goes into it or your NEMA 14-50 wiring / Outlet.

Might confuse others because it sounds like it does not support it. Now reading the thread we know differently, but 50 pages in later on and 9 off-topic posts your story will be lost.
Sponsored

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
it may be possible that the OP home has a mis-wired main service panel. A bad ground, badly balanced loads on L1, L2, or mis-wired circuit/outlet.

If the charger works on 'somebody else's' 240v outlet, then that pretty much indicates its the OP service/wiring is the culprit.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Yes, the voltages are present between the hot and neutral on each pin. The outlet is grounded properly. I've had it checked out and it's up to code. The ChargePoint behaves precisely the same way as the Ford mobile charger, it looks like it's connected, the display in the car shows it's plugged in. The only part of this puzzle I haven't investigated is the car itself. Now I'm headed out of town for a few days, so further troubleshooting will have to wait.
did the electrician check the grounding of the main service?
for both a 'cold-water bond' and a Ufer or proper ground rod outside?

... sometimes people replace a waterheater and a plumber removes a groundstrap and forgets to hook it back up. Or people dig around adding a fence or whatever and mess up the grounding.

Triggerhappy007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Premium VB & 22 Select GB
Country flag
The only part of this puzzle I haven't investigated is the car itself.
Didn't you say it was able to charge with the dealer's EVSE? If so, it's not the car.

Like we've been telling you, you need to take both of your EVSEs and plug it into a different 14-50 outlet to see if they're faulty or your outlet is.

BadgerGreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD SR and 2022 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
You said you had a ChargePoint Home Flex; I assume you're just plugging that into the 240V outlet instead of having it hardwired? I have a ChargePoint on order, and in my product research there were reminders to set it up to a specific amperage. Although the ChargePoint is rated up to 50A, it wants to max out at 80% of the circuit breaker capacity. Also, I believe it has a 40A capacity if plugged in (48A if hardwired). If you have a 50A breaker and/or if you are plugging into the 240V outlet, I think the ChargePoint needs to be programmed at 40A (80% of 50A). I have our electrician lined up to install a 60A breaker and hardwire the ChargePoint so I can take full advantage of the 48A charging capacity of the MME.

Is there any chance you have the ChargePoint programmed for 48A while it should be programmed for 40A?

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
You said you had a ChargePoint Home Flex; I assume you're just plugging that into the 240V outlet instead of having it hardwired? I have a ChargePoint on order, and in my product research there were reminders to set it up to a specific amperage. Although the ChargePoint is rated up to 50A, it wants to max out at 80% of the circuit breaker capacity. Also, I believe it has a 40A capacity if plugged in (48A if hardwired). If you have a 50A breaker and/or if you are plugging into the 240V outlet, I think the ChargePoint needs to be programmed at 40A (80% of 50A). I have our electrician lined up to install a 60A breaker and hardwire the ChargePoint so I can take full advantage of the 48A charging capacity of the MME.

Is there any chance you have the ChargePoint programmed for 48A while it should be programmed for 40A?
That wouldn't cause the car not the charge...the charger/car have no way of knowing what size breaker is installed. Also, a 50 amp breaker on a 48 amp charger would only create an issue after 3+ hours of use. The OP cant even get the car to start charging.

janitorjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150 2001, explorer xlt 2013
Country flag
maybe put a post out on a Tesla/EV forum seeing if someone near you with a the same model charger will let you plug in and see if it works

OP
OP
jparduhn70

jparduhn70

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Didn't you say it was able to charge with the dealer's EVSE? If so, it's not the car.

Like we've been telling you, you need to take both of your EVSEs and plug it into a different 14-50 outlet to see if they're faulty or your outlet is.
I understand that, and being the weekend, there was nowhere to take the mobile charger to test. My only ask is why the owner's manual would state that if the EVSE remains in a standby mode with no faults to call Ford? That would suggest there may be an issue with the car. At this point, I don't know.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I understand that, and being the weekend, there was nowhere to take the mobile charger to test. My only ask is why the owner's manual would state that if the EVSE remains in a standby mode with no faults to call Ford? That would suggest there may be an issue with the car. At this point, I don't know.
Since the included charger is a Ford part too, I suppose that line in the owner's manual could be applicable to either the car or the charger. I haven't really thought about whether the charger is covered as part of the car warranty or not. Although even if it isn't, when it's brand new like this I'd think they'd fix/replace it anyway (IF that's the problem).

But yes, might be the car too. Just need to do some cross-checking to isolate the problem (a different car on that charger, a different charger on that car, plugging into a different outlet, etc). But that's hard to do unless you have a neighbor to cross-check with. Probably easiest just to swing by the dealer and have them check the charger out (although even they might not have a 14-50 outlet).

fallguy

First Name
fallguy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender, 1968 Mustang, 2021 Mach-E GT
Occupation
Federal
Country flag
Having the same issue. Worked fine for several days. Using the supplied Ford charger, on a 240v.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Home Level 2 Charger Issues Screenshot_20210222-170834_FordPass
Ford Mustang Mach-E Home Level 2 Charger Issues Screenshot_20210222-171502_FordPass

fallguy

First Name
fallguy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender, 1968 Mustang, 2021 Mach-E GT
Occupation
Federal
Country flag
I'm not going crazy then. :(
Nope. However, good news is it charged. The charger was yellow when I took the photos, and there were no lights on the plug where you plug it in. When charging they are blue with the last one glowing.

Unplugged the charger from the 240v, plugged it back in. Turned to blue from yellow. The plug on car turned to normal blue. Car and app still said vehicle paused. Turned car on, back off. Car said charging. I checked it a few times last night and it was charging. Woke up and at 100%.

App still says paused and same percentage as in the pics I posted. My wife's app says the same thing. I have android and she has apple. I uninstalled app and reinstalled, same thing. I've reset every scheduled time and departure, and any other settings related to timed charging.

So it charges, just doesn't show on the app. Hopefully it corrects itself.

Triggerhappy007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Premium VB & 22 Select GB
Country flag
I know it's frustrating. We're trying to isolate the problem to see if it's your electrical outlet or the car. The easiest way is to plug your EVSE into another outlet. I looked on Plugshare for a 14-50 plug near you and the closest is 40 miles away. I would try to post on Nextdoor or Facebook for your area to see if anyone has a 14-50 outlet for you to try and if they would like to see a Mustang Mach E in person.

If the car charges at the dealer, then it's probably not the car.

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
I was able to drive a demo from the nearby dealership home plug the cord into my outlet and the blue light flicker and then went to Yellow, check with a voltmeter okay which can be deceiving so I checked it with a 75 watt light bulb and socket with two wires, bulb did not light because the round ground pin had no neutral wire connected to it. This is why I've learned to check for a voltage drop on circuits using a load
Regarding the mobile charger going yellow...

Make sure the adapter (either the 120v household NEMA 6-15R or the 240v NEMA 14-50 plugs) are FULLY pushed into the mobile charger box.

It's a very tight fit to push in those adapters. The engineer on the charger told me they did this because they feared people would plug the chargers into the outlet and let the charger hang from its own cord (rather than use a bracket) and they did not want it to be able to pull free.

The molded part of the plug that inserts into the charger will be completely flush with the charger body if it is plugged in all the way. If it is not fully seated, it can go amber when you try to use it.

On the NEMA 14-50 plug... the mobile charger uses the two (L1 & L2) legs of the 240v power and the ground. The Ford charger doesn't actually use the Neutral pin.

When a NEMA 14-50 outlet is installed, electric code requires that the Neutral pin must be connected. Your electrician has to wire it to pass inspection ... but the charger doesn't use it.

Brademcee

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E FE Blue Grabber, Tesla Model 3 Performance
Country flag
I am having the same issue as the OP. I just brought home my MME and I can not get it to charge. I have a 240V outlet that has a JuiceBox Pro 40 (older gen) that has charged my Tesla for the last two years. When I plug in the MME, on the App I see that it says Plugged In Not Charging (like the OP). I thought it was an issue with the JuiceBox because it was the older generation. I unplugged the JuiceBox and plugged in the Ford mobile charger to the 240V outlet. I get the same notice Plugged In Not Charging. I know the dealer was able to charge the car (not with the included Ford mobile charger) so I do not think it is the car unless it is really sensitive. I will have an Electrican come out to look at the 240V outlet but I do not know why the Tesla would of charged with no issues but the MME will not charge on my 240V outlet. I have it set to manual charge (I have not set up any charging windows).

When I first plug in the Ford Charger to the 240V charger and connect it to the MME, I see the Ford charger light slowly blink blue and on the car it just shows blue LEDs at the charge port (about 3/4 of them are blue) and then a few minutes later I hear a click on the charger and it goes to a steady blue.

Not sure what to do other than calling an Electrican. Maybe the MME is more sensitive then the Tesla on the charge it is getting.......
Sponsored