TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Not the best way to stimulate the acceptance of BEVs.
All relative. I suspect the tax on ICE cars is way more.

And it looks like the private use of a company car tax that he's referring to is sort of a quirk. Private purchases of EVs avoid the tax altogether. Must be some other issues with the tax code that over-incentivized the use of company cars for private use that this is trying to plug.

https://www.government.nl/latest/ne...ng-the-national-climate-agreement-immediately
Sponsored

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
Tim, that's quite possible I suppose.

Luffie

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e RWD Ext.range TP+
Country flag
Dutch lease car owners of ICE cars do pay their tax over 22% of the initial purchase price (for max 5 years), while the % for FEV-cars was way less. A few year ago even 0%, just to stimulate FEV's (in that time as well for PHEV's).

As people bought too many PHEV & FEV's, there was a decrease of tax income, so the government has changed its policy. PHEV's got 22% (like ICE) and for FEV's the % went up from 0% to 8% this year, towards 22% in a few years. Besides this there is a cap of Eur 40.000 for the lower %; above it will be 22% anyways. So the Model s was very popular at 0% or 4%, but now almost too expensive.

Hopefully in the upcoming years the BEV purchase price will become as simular as the ICE-cars, so there won't be any difference anymore...otherwise you're 'punished' to purchase a FEV.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
He said that in general terms, not mentioning any car in particular:

https://omny.fm/shows/wwjam-on-dema...5rvbKY_LQZUg4iO5025Nhbc4qkQUjc_rvyNV6gBFPjKCI
Thanks for that recording - very interesting! A very good listen, especially since he mentions the ventilators they're making. At 16:35 the interviewer asks about new products and he then specifically talks about the Mach-E, Bronco, and updated F-150. At around 19:00 he does mention that he asked his team to replan the launches of those. Right at 20:10 he also did say "these three that I just told you about", referring again to the Mach-E, Bronco, and F-150. His next sentence is his comment about their launches not being "fumbled" if they are a month or 6 weeks late due to the virus.

I gather from that interview there will be at least a month's delay in the original Mach-E schedule, which will significantly decrease 2020 delivery volumes.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
Although only 1.7 to 1.9% of cars on the roads are plug-ins there, the market share of plug-ins for new vehicles sold went from 6.5% (2018) to 14% (2019). It's understandable why the government would forecast a significant revenue impact with this trend unchanged in the coming years.

Luffie

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e RWD Ext.range TP+
Country flag
Although only 1.7 to 1.9% of cars on the roads are plug-ins there, the market share of plug-ins for new vehicles sold went from 6.5% (2018) to 14% (2019). It's understandable why the government would forecast a significant revenue impact with this trend unchanged in the coming years.
There was also an issue that many PHEV-drivers weren't recharging their cars frequently, and only driving on gasoline...So no environmental benefits, only tax savings o_O

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There was also an issue that many PHEV-drivers weren't recharging their cars frequently, and only driving on gasoline...So no environmental benefits, only tax savings o_O
We were a classic example with my wife’s Honda Clarity PHEV. It got to be unquestionably more expensive to run her car on electric rather than gas, especially in the winter. So we ran her car more and more on gas.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It got to be unquestionably more expensive to run her car on electric rather than gas, especially in the winter. So we ran her car more and more on gas.
Can you elaborate on that?

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Sure. Electric costs on LI are about $.20/kWh. Gas prices here at that time were $2.39 (now $1.99). Her car, running on gas, got about 35-40 mpg. The Clarity’s range was 35-55 miles per charge, with the lower number reflecting cold weather usage. It was cheaper to run on gas because of the high utility rates. Other parts of the country are more fortunate with far cheaper electric costs.

The Tesla, although also impacted by cold weather, doesn’t seem to be negatively impacted as much. Of course there’s no running a Tesla on gas. :)

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag
Sure. Electric costs on LI are about $.20/kWh. Gas prices here at that time were $2.39 (now $1.99). Her car, running on gas, got about 35-40 mpg. The Clarity’s range was 35-55 miles per charge, with the lower number reflecting cold weather usage. It was cheaper to run on gas because of the high utility rates. Other parts of the country are more fortunate with far cheaper electric costs.

The Tesla, although also impacted by cold weather, doesn’t seem to be negatively impacted as much. Of course there’s no running a Tesla on gas. :)
Ken - it's always cheaper on electric when you produce your own electricity for free (essentially).
But you do need a climate where solar panels are a good investment. ;) My payback for my solar installation is 6 years (not counting increase in house value) and I have free power to charge my wife's PHEV and my MME (hopefully soon).

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ken - it's always cheaper on electric when you produce your own electricity for free (essentially).
But you do need a climate where solar panels are a good investment. ;) My payback for my solar installation is 6 years (not counting increase in house value) and I have free power to charge my wife's PHEV and my MME (hopefully soon).
Unfortunately, living in a condo development, solar is a non-starter. :(

OP
OP
ChasingCoral

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Unfortunately, living in a condo development, solar is a non-starter. :(
Not entirely. Our house is to shaded for solar to be efficient so we lease a share in the local community solar project. The result is we buy > 75% of our power from a local solar farm on a reclaimed landfill site. The rest we buy in RECs from regional wing producers.
Sponsored