Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I only stayed at work for about 5 hours. Temps rose to about 37F by this time. When I got in the Mach-E the range estimate had lowered to 152miles remaining, still around 85% battery (sorry I forgot to snap a picture at this point).

Drove home and arrived with the following:
1612870993663.png

1612871006931.png

Also realized I didn't mention anything about the B&O Sound.... It's decent, but nothing amazing in my opinion so far. I haven't futzed around with sound setting yet, so maybe I could improve it a bit to my liking. It's perfectly adequate though, just isn't blowing me away.
So if that trip is just the return home, you drove 90 miles on 36% of the battery - for a true projected range of 250 miles instead of the 192 mile range the GOM is stating.

OP
OP
methorian

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
So if that trip is just the return home, you drove 90 miles on 36% of the battery - for a true projected range of 250 miles instead of the 192 mile range the GOM is stating.
Would seem that way, not scientific at all, but I'm agreeing with the folks saying the GOM is very conservative as of now.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
That's exactly why I pulled it, so much dust in the car during delivery I figured it could be filthy. It wasn't too bad though, but will order a replacement soon just to start fresh.
My first "mod" will be to replace that one with a high efficiency charcoal filter. Hoping the "backdoor" Ford OEM solution works.

wmaney

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GTPE, daughter drives Ford Focus Titanium
Country flag
I didn't check - The filter wasn't too bad so I wasn't going to immediately replace it. Will probably wait till Spring is over since I usually replacement after the big pollen season.
Thanks. Good idea - so did you just rinse it or did you just leave it alone?

OP
OP
methorian

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
My first "mod" will be to replace that one with a high efficiency charcoal filter. Hoping the "backdoor" Ford OEM solution works.
I generally replace mine with aftermarket charcoal filters as well, what "backdoor" Ford OEM solution are you referring to?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Would seem that way, not scientific at all, but I'm agreeing with the folks saying the GOM is very conservative as of now.
Well, it's real world data even if it isn't "scientific". You used 15% in the morning with preconditioning and 20% on the way home without it. Without preconditioning/preheating on grid power you were still getting 2.7 mi/kwh, which would extrapolate to 238mi of range. Of course you also only averaged 52 mph on the way home, but clearly the GOM way underestimates.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I generally replace mine with aftermarket charcoal filters as well, what "backdoor" Ford OEM solution are you referring to?
The 2021 Lincoln Aviator is introducing a suite of technologies for interior air quality that Ford has in China. Part of that is a high-efficiency charcoal filter. The 2020 Aviator and the 2021 Mach-E use the same filter, so logic should hold that the 2021 Aviator's fancy filter will fit in a Mach-E... just need to get my car, hit up a Lincoln parts department, and prove it haha

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
better conservative than having to call for a tow
Absolutely agree. However, all of those that are panicking due to the low GOM numbers are anxious over nothing. Not only that, their angst could lead to lots of cancelled orders.

The fact the GOM is way low is a big deal

MightyJawa

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt
Country flag
Absolutely agree. However, all of those that are panicking due to the low GOM numbers are anxious over nothing. Not only that, their angst could lead to lots of cancelled orders.

I’m not too worried over canceled orders. They’re not going to have any trouble selling these cars. I would much rather KNOW that I can go at least as many miles as the GOM shows me. Let me plan instead of giving me false hope with an inflated number.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Or simply 2.7 x 88 = 237 miles. Or 166 practical miles between 10-80% SOC.

That's only 12% below EPA for temps in the 30's with mixed hwy/cty usage. Not bad. Although he kept the cabin temp at a cool 66F. Probably be a few% worse at a more comfortable 72F.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

Sounds like they need a better method for calculating that GOM. The calculation for when a route is initiated in the nav system might make sense, but clearly the general number with no route activated is proving to be misleadingly low.

Simply taking the miles/kWh number for the last 100 miles (or something) and multiplying by 88 (ER) would seem to be far more accurate.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I know you're stating this tongue in cheek, but I will say, for anyone who is interested in the "fit" topic. I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max. When I did a test drive this weekend, the Pro Max fits almost perfectly in the tray. It was a tight enough fit that it did not have any way to slide around.

I will also add that my case is relatively minimalist. I think if you had a Pro Max with a substantial case, you might not be able to fit it in the tray. Anyway, I was pretty pleased with how well that phone fits, and it should not require any additional tweaking with the charging area to keep it from sliding.
just the weekend the gf was talking about replacing her phone+tablet combo with a bigger phone and was like "why aren't phones getting wider any more, just taller" and I said, "you have to be able to hold it in your hand still like this" and I thought "I wonder if Steve Jobs would approve of how I'm holding this phone" ?

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
The 2021 Lincoln Aviator is introducing a suite of technologies for interior air quality that Ford has in China. Part of that is a high-efficiency charcoal filter. The 2020 Aviator and the 2021 Mach-E use the same filter, so logic should hold that the 2021 Aviator's fancy filter will fit in a Mach-E... just need to get my car, hit up a Lincoln parts department, and prove it haha
Hopefully this will work. My thought though is couldn’t they instead be putting in a different air filter system (not sure on terminology) where it might be a different filter size the way refrigerators have all sorts of different sized water filters?
Sponsored