Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Pure speculation here (for what it's worth), but I wonder if there's an issue in the fob itself - like maybe there's a short in the trunk button or something? If you have a faraday bag or some aluminum foil, maybe keep the fob in that and see if it happens again?
Wait there's a short in the trunk?
Ford Mustang Mach-E Initial Thoughts and Owner Review of a New Grabber Blue First Edition Mach-E R0dcbd2de8ba9fe97ce121ab07a42eb73

Ford Mustang Mach-E Initial Thoughts and Owner Review of a New Grabber Blue First Edition Mach-E OIP (1)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Not an owner quite yet but have been in one and the website confirms. Mach E is an 8-way not a 10-way. There is no separate rear/front tilt. Only up and down. It’s on a declining angle So going down tilts the back down slightly also. One less-luxury item honestly.
As an FE owner I can confirm this as well. It uses one seat motor, not two. The front control only adjusts fore-aft and up-down, with up down moving at an angle as described above.
The middle control is the back angle.
The rear control is the lumbar position (in-out).

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Had something odd happen last night.

First part started when my partner was showing his Dad my Mach-E, in the garage. His dad apparently asked "why does it keep saying the rear hatch is open?" when the trunk was obviously not open. They opened and closed the trunk and moved on though...

About an hour later I went down to check on the charge status, since my partner mentioned that he thought it was only at 84%, even though it was supposed to be at 90%. Confirmed at 90% and left the garage.

Later last night I pulled up my garage cam (I do this occasionally just to admire Saphira in her nest...), I see that the rear hatch is sitting wide open. Partner nor I have been back to the garage or intentionally pressed anything within the FordPass app, but sure enough around 7:46PM I see my Mach-E unlock and the rear hatch open on my camera. Stayed open till I realized it at around 11PM.

Concerns me since if it had been outside it could have been rained in/looted/etc. Not great. I have no idea what caused it to open. If it was some accidental FordPass thing, there HAS to be notifications associated with remote actions taken. Right now you can't even see the status of locks/windows/hatches. HUGE oversight in my opinion. Without my camera and my incessant watching the hatch would have stayed open all night.

Here's a video of it opening, without any intentional input from my partner or myself.

I’ve noticed that the buttons in the Ford Pass app are very sensitive. Other apps or websites, if you are scrolling, as I’m sure you’ve noticed, buttons usually cannot be pressed even if you touch that part of the screen because you are scrolling.

But this doesn’t seem to be the case with the Ford Pass app, i.e. if you touch a button while scrolling, it will activate. At least that’s been my experience as I’ve inadvertently hit lock a few times when I haven’t meant to. Perhaps that’s what might have happened here.

Agree that Ford Pass should be able to show status re whether the car is locked/unlocked, if it is on, if the trunk is open, etc.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

First part started when my partner was showing his Dad my Mach-E, in the garage. His dad apparently asked "why does it keep saying the rear hatch is open?" when the trunk was obviously not open. They opened and closed the trunk and moved on though...

About an hour later I went down to check on the charge status, since my partner mentioned that he thought it was only at 84%, even though it was supposed to be at 90%. Confirmed at 90% and left the garage.

Later last night I pulled up my garage cam (I do this occasionally just to admire Saphira in her nest...), I see that the rear hatch is sitting wide open. Partner nor I have been back to the garage or intentionally pressed anything within the FordPass app, but sure enough around 7:46PM I see my Mach-E unlock and the rear hatch open on my camera. Stayed open till I realized it at around 11PM.

Concerns me since if it had been outside it could have been rained in/looted/etc. Not great. I have no idea what caused it to open. If it was some accidental FordPass thing, there HAS to be notifications associated with remote actions taken. Right now you can't even see the status of locks/windows/hatches. HUGE oversight in my opinion. Without my camera and my incessant watching the hatch would have stayed open all night.

Here's a video of it opening, without any intentional input from my partner or myself.
Is there a chance you pressed the trunk open button on the fob by accident? Pocket push from inside the house?

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
Well that's not good. That happens on our Escape 2-3 times/year. I've always assumed it was the key fob in my pocket getting pressed when I bend over or take jeans on/off or something like that because I have a number of keys in my pocket. I see that happen quite a bit with the door locks going off when I'm working the garage. I even have to disable the panic button because of that.

Sometimes I suspect a low fob battery triggers false signals too, but don't really know. That shouldn't be a problem with a brand new fob though.
My RAM truck had an aftermarket alarm system which included the ability to start the engine. When the alarm fob had a low battery, sometimes the engine would start by itself. I came home one time to find my truck sitting in the driveway running. :(

OP
OP
methorian

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Is there a chance you pressed the trunk open button on the fob by accident? Pocket push from inside the house?
The fob has been on a table in the basement, so no chance it was pressed.

I’m to believe it initiated via the FordPass app, unintentionally. If it’s that sensitive there needs to be a secondary prompt to ensure you meant to press it

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I’m to believe it initiated via the FordPass app, unintentionally.
None of us has any idea what caused it to happen, we're just trying to offer what we hope are helpful suggestions.

Reactions: ARK

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I'll respond to this as soon as I stop my car's panic alarm that I just set off by bending over with the fob in my coat pocket.

MerryBrown

First Name
Mary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Escape, Red Ford Mach-E on order
Occupation
Finance
Country flag

Yikes that is just scary!

Mickey the T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium, SR, RWD, Infinite Blue
Country flag
methorian: as an i3 owner I'm curious about your impressions about ant driving differences between the Mach-E and your i3. Particularly how the one-pedal driving might compare, which is my favorite i3 feature.

DaveRuns

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Country flag

Holy Crap, you have ghosts!!!! For real though, hope this gets sorted out. Are you going to bring it back to the dealer to check out? Wow.

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Livewire prius prime Mach e. In 3 weeks if it was built yesterday
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
He probably has critters in his garage. My little dog opened the trunk on my escape by running under it.

OP
OP
methorian

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
methorian: as an i3 owner I'm curious about your impressions about ant driving differences between the Mach-E and your i3. Particularly how the one-pedal driving might compare, which is my favorite i3 feature.
The Mach-E is obviously quite a bit quicker, especially off the line. It also feels much heavier and planted.

1-pedal on the Mach-E is also much more aggressive, in a good way. I find it easier to modulate the accelerator pedal to come a full stop, even on declines. In my i3 I usually have to use the brake pedal on a decline.

My partner drove the i3 again yesterday and even made the comment that he preferred 1-pedal on the Mach-E.

I still love my i3 though, it's my commuter car and does a very good job at it!

Holy Crap, you have ghosts!!!! For real though, hope this gets sorted out. Are you going to bring it back to the dealer to check out? Wow.
Probably not for the one time occurrence. If it happens again I'll let my dealer know, but I'm fairly confident it was activated through the app, so I more so hope that Ford is listening and will make changes accordingly, we'll see.

He probably has critters in his garage. My little dog opened the trunk on my escape by running under it.
While that has happened once already as well, my dog definitely wasn't in the garage, and we haven't had signs of any other critters in the house in years. The keyfob was well away from the Mach-E, so even if something ran under the rear, it shouldn't have opened or unlocked. Like above, I'm still leaning towards the FordPass app as the culprit.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I still love my i3 though, it's my commuter car and does a very good job at it!
Out of curiosity, what is making you keep the i3 as your commuter car instead of using the Mach-E? Because you already have it or some other reason?

OP
OP
methorian

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Out of curiosity, what is making you keep the i3 as your commuter car instead of using the Mach-E? Because you already have it or some other reason?
I commute about 48miles each way. I don't want my Mach-E racking up 22K+ miles a year.

Plus I can keep the Mach-E a garage baby, only coming out when weather permits. My commute is mostly highway which can also be hell on the front end paint/etc (the Mach-E will be getting PPF to help combat some of that as well for when I do drive it).
Sponsored

Reactions: ARK