Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium 4X, 2017 Fusion Energi PHEV
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
After months of waiting, Thule finally has a rack solution for the Mustang Mach E:
https://www.thule.com/en-ca/roof-rack/car-roof-racks
Thule Evo Wing for MME.jpg

Thanks to @Guy for sharing that:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/bike-rack-solution.2195/post-285242
I did a "Fit my car" on the Thule website for the MME. The following rack system came up, which is exactly what I have currently owned since 2017 with my Fusion Energi. It's a window-sill based mounting bracket. I then attempted to attach it to my MME and it appears to be solid and ready for use. This was my motivation for asking the original question about whether a suction-cup-based mount system was somehow the only possible way to attach a roof rack on our MMEs.

So I expect this to be an option for additional storage with the vehicle, and totally expect a significant decrease in miles/kWh due to aerodynamics with the cargo carrier affixed.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Inno 466 Cargo Box + Seasucker Mounts + Seasucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack installed on Mach-E 1637426140938
Sponsored

miata

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
miata, towncar, highlander
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
Thule design looks great. But I'd highly discourage using the suction cup design. The adhesives used for windshields, and I'd assume for pano roofs, have a tensile strength of barely 1000 psi (1 ksi). Shear strength is less than half that. Compare that to steel with a tensile strength of 60ksi and shear at 40.
Plus, windshield and roof glass largely see compressive loads at speed. Putting a large frontal area device on racks held with these suction cup holders puts a large tensile load on the adhesive.
Steel is strong...rack designs utilizing its strength are time-tested. Urethane windshiled adhesives are fantastically strong...for an adhesive. But they're not a steel or aluminum replacement!

storab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e RWD
Country flag
Thule design looks great. But I'd highly discourage using the suction cup design. The adhesives used for windshields, and I'd assume for pano roofs, have a tensile strength of barely 1000 psi (1 ksi). Shear strength is less than half that. Compare that to steel with a tensile strength of 60ksi and shear at 40.
Plus, windshield and roof glass largely see compressive loads at speed. Putting a large frontal area device on racks held with these suction cup holders puts a large tensile load on the adhesive.
Steel is strong...rack designs utilizing its strength are time-tested. Urethane windshiled adhesives are fantastically strong...for an adhesive. But they're not a steel or aluminum replacement!
1000 pounds per square inch, and hove many square inches of glue?

OP
OP
Sitdown

Sitdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Raptor | 15 SS | 86 SVO | 65 350R Resto | GTPE
Country flag
Setup worked great on this holiday's travel. ~700mi RT with ~100mi local use, +/- 70-75mph most of travel in ~25°-40°F temps.

Was my first real longer highway use, so hope to get some non-inno box kW averages to compare soon... Last I saw R/T + local use I averaged 2.2kW for the week. In the later hours/colder temps traveling I was seeing averages of 1.7kW driving 70+ and 1.8kW >70

Beefier tires, lower temps, and higher speeds make my data less relevant to compare, but it is worthwhile to note that even in warm temps with no box & OE wheels/tires my range estimates have always been significantly lower than others here

IMG-8371.jpg

IMG-8373.jpg

IMG-8374.jpg

JB1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GTPE
Country flag
Here is my Thule setup with Blizzak’s just installed.

B5F8BE29-AC4D-4994-97D9-768C1694F1A1.jpeg

OP
OP
Sitdown

Sitdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Awesome, looks Great! Any more detailed pictures of the brackets and shots with the doors open? Thanks!

Here is my Thule setup with Blizzak’s just installed.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag

Mari76

First Name
Mari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E FE, 2013 Ford Explorer Limited
Country flag
Here you are:

Ford Mustang Mach-E Inno 466 Cargo Box + Seasucker Mounts + Seasucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack installed on Mach-E 7ECFFD03-AE06-4656-A426-2D5EEBFDEB4C

Ford Mustang Mach-E Inno 466 Cargo Box + Seasucker Mounts + Seasucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack installed on Mach-E 7ECFFD03-AE06-4656-A426-2D5EEBFDEB4C

Nice setup! Where did you get the kit for your bars? I have the bars and the clamps but I’m trying to see if I can find the Thule kit 5284 locally. Also, what size is your Thule box? I’m trying to decide what size to get. Amazon has all the boxes on back order. Might make a trip to REI this week to check them out but I see they’re a lot cheaper online.

Tyldum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E First Edition
Country flag
It seems like those metal clamps would scratch the paint. No?
Had these on previous cars. If you clean properly it should be fine. Might need a polish if kept on for extended periods of time, but nothing deep.

JB1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GTPE
Country flag
Nice setup! Where did you get the kit for your bars? I have the bars and the clamps but I’m trying to see if I can find the Thule kit 5284 locally. Also, what size is your Thule box? I’m trying to decide what size to get. Amazon has all the boxes on back order. Might make a trip to REI this week to check them out but I see they’re a lot cheaper online.
I just checked my history. I have had this setup about 3 years.

Here is the breakdown of parts. Hope this helps.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Inno 466 Cargo Box + Seasucker Mounts + Seasucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack installed on Mach-E Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 7.54.19 AM

Mari76

First Name
Mari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E FE, 2013 Ford Explorer Limited
Country flag
I just checked my history. I have had this setup about 3 years.

Here is the breakdown of parts. Hope this helps.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Inno 466 Cargo Box + Seasucker Mounts + Seasucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack installed on Mach-E Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 7.54.19 AM
Thanks! This is my first time having to buy a rack and went with what Thule recommended on their website. I bought the wingbar evo load bars along with the evo clamp foot pack on amazon at a discounted price but they don't sell the system fit kit 145284.

OP
OP
Sitdown

Sitdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I really wanted the sleeker Motion XT or Vector in the Alpine size , but thought it would be too long for our roof. Clearly I was wrong, as it looks great. @JB1 Any side profile shots of it installed from a bit further back?

For anyone else hunting the Thule's, some info below and images of the Motion XT L (16cuft) up on my GT before I decided on the Inno

Motion XT Alpine (16cu) - 91.5"L x 37.5"W x 13.25"H
Motion XT L (16cu) - 77"L x 36W x 17H [shown below]
Vector Alpine (13cu) - 91"L x 35"W x 12.5H
Vector M (13cu) - 83.5"L x 34.5"W x14H

Inno 466 (18cu) - 78.75"L x 37.4"W x 17.75"H [My unit]
Inno 624 (13cu) - 72.83"L x 33"W x 13.5"H [Unavailable, but guess would be pretty ideal size]

Thule Motion XT L Mocked up

Ford Mustang Mach-E Inno 466 Cargo Box + Seasucker Mounts + Seasucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack installed on Mach-E IMG-7964

Ford Mustang Mach-E Inno 466 Cargo Box + Seasucker Mounts + Seasucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack installed on Mach-E IMG-7966

Ford Mustang Mach-E Inno 466 Cargo Box + Seasucker Mounts + Seasucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack installed on Mach-E IMG-7967