Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
miata, towncar, highlander
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
1000 pounds per square inch, and hove many square inches of glue?
It's hard to see when they're in place but from the installations I've watched, the bead smashes to about 3/4" wide. So for a ~100" circumference, about 80 sq in. (The cross-sectional area of a steel clamp is tiny in comparison.) For a wind loading of a couple hundred pounds, that's a safety factor of over 100, which is certainly defensible in court.
Sponsored

JB1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GTPE
Country flag
I really wanted the sleeker Motion XT or Vector in the Alpine size , but thought it would be too long for our roof. Clearly I was wrong, as it looks great. @JB1 Any side profile shots of it installed from a bit further back?

For anyone else hunting the Thule's, some info below and images of the Motion XT L (16cuft) up on my GT before I decided on the Inno

Motion XT Alpine (16cu) - 91.5"L x 37.5"W x 13.25"H
Motion XT L (16cu) - 77"L x 36W x 17H [shown below]
Vector Alpine (13cu) - 91"L x 35"W x 12.5H
Vector M (13cu) - 83.5"L x 34.5"W x14H

Inno 466 (18cu) - 78.75"L x 37.4"W x 17.75"H [My unit]
Inno 624 (13cu) - 72.83"L x 33"W x 13.5"H [Unavailable, but guess would be pretty ideal size]

Thule Motion XT L Mocked up

IMG-7964.jpg

IMG-7966.jpg

IMG-7967.jpg
@Sitdown here you go:

DA34314E-F90C-43D7-8819-449FAB04E2E1.jpeg

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
It seems like at that angle it will provide some lift when driving on the highway. ;-) I love how the white and black goes with the car.

OP
OP
Sitdown

Sitdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Raptor | 15 SS | 86 SVO | 65 350R Resto | GTPE
Country flag
Looks good, the extra length up front isn't that obvious. Agree the color matching is great. I will be 2 tone wrapping ours when we finish up the rest of the PPF

OP
OP
Sitdown

Sitdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 Raptor | 15 SS | 86 SVO | 65 350R Resto | GTPE
Country flag
Guessing the Thule brackets primary contact/pressure points are the channel between the A pillar/Roof & the underside of inner/upper door jamb? So that bracket may not be supported entirely on the finished paint

It's hard to see when they're in place but from the installations I've watched, the bead smashes to about 3/4" wide. So for a ~100" circumference, about 80 sq in. (The cross-sectional area of a steel clamp is tiny in comparison.) For a wind loading of a couple hundred pounds, that's a safety factor of over 100, which is certainly defensible in court.
Curious if the non-affected builds simply got an extra bead of urethane and/or that is the recall fix: remove, clean, reinstall with more adhesive. I've seen the glass roof frame on a s197 mustangs, if similar, there's plenty of room for more beads. Want to say one of the issues telsa had was relating to their primer in addition to the same ford dilemma

miata

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
..Curious if the non-affected builds simply got an extra bead of urethane and/or that is the recall fix: remove, clean, reinstall with more adhesive. I've seen the glass roof frame on a s197 mustangs, if similar, there's plenty of room for more beads. Want to say one of the issues telsa had was relating to their primer in addition to the same ford dilemma
I suspect the affected Builds either had wrong or out-of-date adhesive, the primer was incorrect or wasn't used, or just general cleanliness and procedural steps weren't followed. I'd be surprised if they're worried about the size of the bead.
The stuff is strong if used correctly but like most polymers and adhesives, there's lots of ways for things to not be correct. And as mentioned, compared to windshields, stresses on pano roofs are tensile, not compressive, a particular weakness of polymers compared to metals.
The potential threat/hazard/impact of a fly-away roof to others (to say nothing of a roof plus carrier attached) is so high that the probability has to be extremely small (think six standard deviations small) for a company like Ford to take the risk. (Note that published strengths of adhesives are based on limited statistical data so to even say that the strength is at least a value x for 99.9999 percent of the applications is pretty hard to nail down.)
Slipping Toyota floormats, Audi gearshift engagements, and Firestone tire failures on Explorers are all examples of low-probability occurrences that received huge levels of negative attention. And those were failures in old-fashioned mechanical technologies. EV manufacturers probably need to perform their risk analyses more like laptop battery failures, where the actual reliability was at 7 nines per cell, and yet the FAA still wanted an extensive investigation.

Last edited:

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Do we know what length crossbars these are?
When you do the fit my car on the Thule website it tells you what length bars are recommended.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
When you do the fit my car on the Thule website it tells you what length bars are recommended.
Thanks! I reached out to Thule and chatted them up. Apparently the Wingbar EVO 150 means 150cm (60"). Just submitted my order to REI and should get it soon.

Mari76

First Name
Mari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E FE, 2013 Ford Explorer Limited
Country flag
I got the part i needed to install my set from Thule today. We installed it on the car and took a drive to REI to check out the cargo boxes. We were set on buying the large box from Thule but when we got to REI they were much larger in person!

We ended up purchasing the Thule force XT sport. It’s only 3 of us and we felt the sport size was the right size for us. The REI employee was super nice and even helped us install it on the car. We had never used one of these cargo boxes before and thought installation was super easy. Anyhow here’s some pics of our little box. I say little cause compared to the others posted on here, it’s much smaller at 11 cu ft
Ford Mustang Mach-E Inno 466 Cargo Box + Seasucker Mounts + Seasucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack installed on Mach-E D6AE949D-28AA-4150-9E14-A8AFDCD2343F
Ford Mustang Mach-E Inno 466 Cargo Box + Seasucker Mounts + Seasucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack installed on Mach-E 9F1F0EBD-7D9E-4AF8-9676-ECDBB1452F96
Ford Mustang Mach-E Inno 466 Cargo Box + Seasucker Mounts + Seasucker Monkey Bar Roof Rack installed on Mach-E 89299EDF-B699-4070-98EC-E8EF6B351B57

miata

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
engineer
Country flag
I got the part i needed to install my set from Thule today...here’s some pics of our little box...
So it drives in and out of a standard garage door without interference?

Mari76

First Name
Mari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E FE, 2013 Ford Explorer Limited
Country flag
So it drives in and out of a standard garage door without interference?
Yes! We didn’t think it would but we were able to drive into the garage without taking it off the car. We got the smallest cargo box of the force xt line so it’s not as high as the large model, which is the next size from the sport. This sport size is 16.75” height.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag