mikeho

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
Yes it's the camera image which shows up in the rear view mirror. Probably should have said rear view mirror camera rather than rear view camera. But it's not only the rear camera that is shown. The angle of view is quite wide. (FWIW the rear view camera in the Bolt is better than the rear view camera in the MME. LOL)

There are no downsides that I've found. The great advantage is that it totally eliminates blind spots and you can see traffic in several lanes to the left and right. Would be interested in knowing what the downside are. But If you think there are you can just reach up to the mirror, turn it off, and use the standard rear view mirror.
That Rear View Mirror Camera was game-changing and I was so sad that this car at 2x the price didn't have it. I didn't have to look through people to see out the rear, I could pile cargo all the way up to the ceiling. And the extra-wide view meant no blind spots. The only downside was that when it rained, it was hard to see clearly. But I miss that so much!
Sponsored

MachE2021

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Impala
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
I really wish charging my First Edition to 90% provided an estimated range of more than 210 miles...especially since Iā€™m in SoCal where conditions are always perfect. I know thatā€™s just an estimate but I was still expecting it to be closer to 240 miles at 90% charge.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I really wish charging my First Edition to 90% provided an estimated range of more than 210 miles...especially since Iā€™m in SoCal where conditions are always perfect. I know thatā€™s just an estimate but I was still expecting it to be closer to 240 miles at 90% charge.
I'm growing to pretty much just ignore the dash range meter. I keep an eye on the miles/kWh, both for "This Trip" and various Trip1 and Trip2 reset segments, and project from there. Multiple by 88 (ER battery) to get the range for the same mileage.

2.1 miles/kWh x 88 = 185 mile range
2.4 miles/kWh x 88 = 211 mile range
2.7 miles/kWh x 88 = 237 mile range
3.0 miles/kWh x 88 = 264 mile range
3.3 miles/kWh x 88 = 290 mile range

(Or multiply by 62 instead if you want the more practical 10-80% SOC range.)

MachE2021

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Impala
Occupation
Attorney
Country flag
I'm growing to pretty much just ignore the dash range meter. I keep an eye on the miles/kWh, both for "This Trip" and various Trip1 and Trip2 reset segments, and project from there. Multiple by 88 (ER battery) to get the range for the same mileage.

Good point! Thanks!

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt and MME GT, ICE F-150.
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag
Well, I know there are several people who have loved their bolts. I also know there are lots of people and lots of reviews about how bad the seats and the interior are and were. I was actually seriously considering a bolt until the Mach E came out, but I will be honest, I did not like the styling, or the feel of the car. I've never actually driven a bolt, but I have been driving the Mach E in 1P mode and found the regen and braking excellent.

Now then, does it have it's place? Absolutely, and I am glad it is there. The more BEV's the better. But even with this refresh, I think GM gave up on the platform and didn't advance it. Perhaps they consider it a dead end - but what will take it's place? Certainly not the Lyriq.

More competition is better in the space. Ford has work to do - no doubt, but my post was more in disappointment that GM did not step up MORE beyond some styling improvements to improve other things in the car.
I have about 1,500 miles driving a MME and 20k+ driving a Bolt. The MME's regen braking has the feature of always coming to a full stop, and strong regen in reverse. The Bolt doesn't do those as well.

If you fully charge the Bolt, the regen basically doesn't work until you discharge the battery a little, while the MME's still does, maybe at a slightly reduced efficiency. (This is probably due to the large MME battery buffer...)

But the Bolt's regen feels slightly stronger to me, and that paddle on the wheel is actually quite useful, once you learn how to use it. I would call it a draw: they are both good, and they both could learn from the other one.

fwiw.

(The Bolt's power display is clearly better: funky looking, but more useful by far. Is the Bolt as good overall as the MME? Not even close. But at half the price, it can afford to be a ways back.)

guyofthesky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt and MME GT, ICE F-150.
Occupation
airplane driver
Country flag
Yes it's the camera image which shows up in the rear view mirror. Probably should have said rear view mirror camera rather than rear view camera. But it's not only the rear camera that is shown. The angle of view is quite wide. (FWIW the rear view camera in the Bolt is better than the rear view camera in the MME. LOL)

There are no downsides that I've found. The great advantage is that it totally eliminates blind spots and you can see traffic in several lanes to the left and right. Would be interested in knowing what the downside are. But If you think there are you can just reach up to the mirror, turn it off, and use the standard rear view mirror.
Downsides, I think, are the lack of clarity for small objects and the fact that it doesn't work when covered with snow or ice. I use it sometimes, and I use the mirror sometimes.

Both work well for different things. If the camera/mirror had higher resolution, that would help with everything save the camera lens obstruction issue.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag

Seems like the GOM is something that needs to be adjusted a bit to not be such a Debbie Downer. MME drivers have got to be spooked seeing numbers that don't actually align with reality (in a bad way) while Tesla owners happily tout their false rated ranges as superior. Bolt EV owners are never disappointed since they're given a triple option spread of numbers.

OP
OP

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Seems like the GOM is something that needs to be adjusted a bit to not be such a Debbie Downer. MME drivers have got to be spooked seeing numbers that don't actually align with reality (in a bad way) while Tesla owners happily tout their false rated ranges as superior. Bolt EV owners are never disappointed since they're given a triple option spread of numbers.
GOM improvement should be included in the first or second OTA drop.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
No other EV does this 80% cliff like Mach-E. Nobody. Not one EV that charges at Mach-E speeds also falls off a cliff like my car did over the weekend. This is not acceptable performance for the money I paid for this car.
Yeah, and a Mach-E hasn't caught on fire yet, either. (knocks on wood)
Sponsored