Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
I'm guessing Ford is strictly complying to LG Chem cell charging guidelines, and Hyundai wished it would of. For $900M, everyone could of gotten a 3D printed version of a Kona... ;)
Until battery and battery charging technologies make a few leaps, we’re all just going to need to practice a wee bit of patience.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
I'm guessing Ford is strictly complying to LG Chem cell charging guidelines
If that's true, I hope they move to another cell supplier ASAP. The 80% cliff is really not acceptable, I was so disappointed to watch it happen over the weekend. I'm banking on it being removed in the first OTA, otherwise this will be a short term car for me. :(

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
If that's true, I hope they move to another cell supplier ASAP. The 80% cliff is really not acceptable, I was so disappointed to watch it happen over the weekend. I'm banking on it being removed in the first OTA, otherwise this will be a short term car for me. :(
Are your road trips so that the distances between chargers can't be reached with 80%? The 80% cliff was no secret, it is in the manual. At home you can charge to 100% with no delay...

OP
OP

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
If you want the, say 40% SOC charge rate all the way to 100%, I doubt any maker would agree to that. If by rare chance they did, they'd make you sign a waiver that says you willingly want to destroy your battery far ahead of the warranty requirements, you accept all responsibility, including a battery fire, and the warranty and any liability is waived. Until batteries move well beyond current technology, that's where everyone is at right now. There is no other cell supplier, at least one who can make more than one battery a year at great expense. I suppose some people would be willing hack the battery control strategy and ignore charging recommendations, and just replace a $10K battery every year or two and take the battery fire risk.

SteelMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E
Country flag
If you want the, say 40% SOC charge rate all the way to 100%, I doubt any maker would agree to that. If by rare chance they did, they'd make you sign a waiver that says you willingly want to destroy your battery far ahead of the warranty requirements, you accept all responsibility, including a battery fire, and the warranty and any liability is waived. Until batteries move well beyond current technology, that's where everyone is at right now. There is no other cell supplier, at least one who can make more than one battery a year at great expense. I suppose some people would be willing hack the battery control strategy and ignore charging recommendations, and just replace a $10K battery every year or two and take the battery fire risk.
No other EV does this 80% cliff like Mach-E. Nobody. Not one EV that charges at Mach-E speeds also falls off a cliff like my car did over the weekend. This is not acceptable performance for the money I paid for this car.

breeves002

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE
Country flag
I don't understand why Hyundai has to replace the battery packs in all 82,000 cars if LG says its just a logic error in the code. Update the computer.... I guess maybe they're worried about a lower than promised charging rate? Even in that case offer to buy back the cars and re-sell them. WAY less expensive than a $1bn recall...

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
I'm banking on it being removed in the first OTA, otherwise this will be a short term car for me. :(
Don't get it because I doubt the taper is going anywhere for quite some time, if ever.

Unless you have a Taycan, the charge curves always mean that charging more frequently in the low/middle of SOC is always much faster than charging less frequently to above 80%. So personally I don't see this as a big deal. YMMV

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Don't get it because I doubt the taper is going anywhere for quite some time, if ever.

Unless you have a Taycan, the charge curves always mean that charging more frequently in the low/middle of SOC is always much faster than charging less frequently to above 80%. So personally I don't see this as a big deal. YMMV
It only matters in those cases where you need 100% to get somewhere. With the current density of DCFC stations, there are lots of those cases across the US.

Personally, I'm fine with the current peak and taper. It optimizes really fast charging for zap-and-dash stops and still charges to 80% at a reasonable rate. I'm not surprised to find a drop above 80% but I am surprised it drops to L2 charging rates. That seems too severe.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Until battery and battery charging technologies make a few leaps, we’re all just going to need to practice a wee bit of patience.
must
not
make
Hyundai
executive
joke
about
wee
here

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
The 80% cliff is really not acceptable, I was so disappointed to watch it happen over the weekend. I'm banking on it being removed in the first OTA, otherwise this will be a short term car for me. :(
This will be a short term car for you. Is it Grabber Blue, by chance?