Instrument cluster navigation directions from CarPlay?

Badger_Prof

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prior--Leaf,Bolt EV. Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Country flag
Yes that method works, I've done that before, but it's not the native carplay. It would be easier if carplay worked I hope apple or ford fixes this
Hmm. Since I have done a lot of playing around with my Mach-E, it is entirely possible I punched in an address in the built-in nav, changed my mind and went to CarPlay Maps without stopping the built-in nav. If that is what happened, it sure suckered me into being a believer. I'll try again tomorrow and, if I can get Apple Car Play Maps to show on the cluster, I will confirm that. If not, I will go to the corner and eat some humble pie (already ordered the pie).
Sponsored

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
I haven't tested extensively - but I'm pretty sure a few weeks ago when I took a trip in my Mach-E that activating Nav in Waze via Carplay cancelled out the trip/nav I had started using built-in Nav.

Either way, I've never seen instrument cluster directions from any Carplay nav app in my Mach-E.

68_Stang

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
68 Mustang, 2009 Escape
Country flag
Any confirmation on this? I'm surprised I can't find this being called out in any of the reviews if it really is an issue. This should work for both Android and iOS.

SpacePony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Preimum AWD Ext. Battery
Country flag
I haven't tested extensively - but I'm pretty sure a few weeks ago when I took a trip in my Mach-E that activating Nav in Waze via Carplay cancelled out the trip/nav I had started using built-in Nav.

Either way, I've never seen instrument cluster directions from any Carplay nav app in my Mach-E.
I can't confirm CarPlay Nav instructions repeating on the cluster, but I CAN confirm in the CarPlay specifciation that using navigation through CarPlay is required to cancel any routing on the built-in navigation. And vice-versa: using the built-in navigation to start a route is required to cancel any routing that's occurring from CarPlay.

That said, it's just a specification from Apple, not sure if it's being honored by the Mach-E system.

Any confirmation on this? I'm surprised I can't find this being called out in any of the reviews if it really is an issue. This should work for both Android and iOS.
So...has anyone confirmed this works in CarPlay?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

I can confirm that I have been able to run both the native Navigation and Waze simultaneously. It gets very confusing!

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I ran a test today and using the latest iOS, CarPlay does not provide any turn instruction on the driver display from either Waze or Google Maps.

SpacePony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e Preimum AWD Ext. Battery
Country flag
I can confirm that I have been able to run both the native Navigation and Waze simultaneously. It gets very confusing!
I did test running native navigation and Apple Maps (which does NOT send the arrows to the instrument cluster), and each one would cancel the other out. But I haven't tried Waze to see if it cancels native nave. Plus, I think unless you are not specifically using Waze for guidance instructions (instead you're just driving for the miles and alerts), then this wouldn't apply. I think Apple's guidelines that they can't both be running only apply to guidance.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I assume you were using Waze in "normal" mode and not "AppLink" mode (*) ?
I ran a test today and using the latest iOS, CarPlay does not provide any turn instruction on the driver display from either Waze or Google Maps.
I wonder if Waze would if going through AppLink.

(*) I'm not 100% sure what this means.

Papa T

First Name
Treven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X1
Country flag
So, I'm having to drive a 2021 BMW 228i for the next couple of days, and I noticed that mapping turns from Apple CarPlay do get sent to the center console in it. I thought that I might have read someone's conjecture that CarPlay can't do this? I might be misremembering that.

So, it would seem from my experience in the BMW that it is possible for CarPlay to accomplish. I might be retreading what others have already noted, but I thought I would throw that out there. It's always hard to tell if the problem for stuff like this lies with one party or the other, but I do hope they are able to add this functionality. It just makes common sense.

fayt349

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i4 eDrive 40 M-Sport
Occupation
Network Support Engineer
Country flag
So, I'm having to drive a 2021 BMW 228i for the next couple of days, and I noticed that mapping turns from Apple CarPlay do get sent to the center console in it. I thought that I might have read someone's conjecture that CarPlay can't do this? I might be misremembering that.

So, it would seem from my experience in the BMW that it is possible for CarPlay to accomplish. I might be retreading what others have already noted, but I thought I would throw that out there. It's always hard to tell if the problem for stuff like this lies with one party or the other, but I do hope they are able to add this functionality. It just makes common sense.
If BMW is able to make it happen then hopefully this is a software thing that isn't intended.

Especially if it's working for google maps on android.

americanflannel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium AWD ER
Occupation
I do not write menu descriptions for a living
Country flag
The ID4 also has CarPlay navigation arrows on the gauge cluster (from a jalopnick review today)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I assume you were using Waze in "normal" mode and not "AppLink" mode (*) ?

I wonder if Waze would if going through AppLink.

(*) I'm not 100% sure what this means.
I selected Waze through the CarPlay screen. If Applink mode requires something else, I don't know.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Too much trouble for a different system that might not work. I'm rather liking the built-in navigation.
?‍♂ I don't use CarPlay or Android Auto anyway so ... no skin in this game :)
Sponsored