Intelligent Backup Power interview with Ford's Ryan O'Gorman and InsideEV's Tom and Domenick

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
šŸ”‘ ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ šŸ‘€
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
This was an excellent audio interview with Ford's Energy Services Business Manager Ryan O'Gorman, conducted by Domenick Yoney and Tom Moloughney from InsideEVs.

The Mach-E is discussed as a possible participant in the home backup power feature, but this would depend on customer demand and it's unclear if existing models could support such a function. (It was left open ended in the discussion).

Sponsored

Last edited:

ponydsp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MME Premium 4ER, Taycan CT, 650s, F8 on order
Country flag
This was an excellent audio interview with Ford's Energy Services Business Manager Ryan O'Gorman, conducted by Dominick Yoney and Tom Moloughney from InsideEVs.

The Mach-E is discussed as a possible participant in the home backup power feature, but this would depend on customer demand and it's unclear if existing models could support such a function. (It was left open ended in the discussion).

That would be one reason for me to upgrade to future MME's.

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
Iā€™m always being told current models donā€™t have the hardware for it, but seems like the Ford connected charger does most of the work?

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
Iā€™m always being told current models donā€™t have the hardware for it, but seems like the Ford connected charger does most of the work?
Haven't watched it, but the Lightning uses the Ford Charge Station PRO, not the Ford Connected Charger.

OP
OP
macchiaz-o

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
šŸ”‘ ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ šŸ‘€
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
It's a different EVSE... But even so, Ford is using a proprietary protocol between the F-150 and the EVSE to provide the intelligent Backup power capability.

And in doing so, that EVSE uses a CCS1 coupler instead of the J1772 we're used to seeing at our homes. So it won't be compatible with Nissan Leaf or any Teslas.

FullyCharged

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 MME Premium AWD ER (ordered)
Occupation
Supply Chain
Country flag

Logal727

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Carbonized Gray Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD Ext
Country flag
It's a different EVSE... But even so, Ford is using a proprietary protocol between the F-150 and the EVSE to provide the intelligent Backup power capability.

And in doing so, that EVSE uses a CCS1 coupler instead of the J1772 we're used to seeing at our homes. So it won't be compatible with Nissan Leaf or any Teslas.
Yeah, Iā€™ve just been told many times the MME doesnā€™t have the bidirectional capability or the hardware to enable itā€¦ guess they were wrong? I watched the video, it seemed like of a like a positive response, but very hard to tell.

aamyotte

First Name
Alain
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Country flag
I asked that question during the podcast. Seems like other MME owners were wondering the same.

I hope to buy a 2023 MME and was wondering if we could use them.

Ryan didn't say no, so chances are that once the Lighning is out and in use they could start to focus on updating the software on the MME to work.

hawkeye3point1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White ER RWD, Born on 12 Aug. '21
Country flag
If the MME does add this capability in the future, wondering if it would also require this charger to enable.​
Yes, I believe it is a given that the Pro EVSE must have inverters to convert the HVB DC to 240 VAC. Plus the coupler needs the 2 additional terminals like a level 3 charger. The only thing the vehicle needs is the software to pull the HV contactors and some power management logic. Educated guess FWIW.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E4X, 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Country flag
Yes, I believe it is a given that the Pro EVSE must have inverters to convert the HVB DC to 240 VAC. Plus the coupler needs the 2 additional terminals like a level 3 charger. The only thing the vehicle needs is the software to pull the HV contactors and some power management logic. Educated guess FWIW.
Itā€™s my understanding that the Charge Station Pro does not include the inverter. There is a separate ā€œhome integration kitā€ that includes the inverter.
That kind of makes sense, otherwise someone who only needs 80A charging capability but doesnā€™t need home backup would be buying an inverter that they donā€™t need.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
That kind of makes sense, otherwise someone who only needs 80A charging capability but doesnā€™t need home backup would be buying an inverter that they donā€™t need.
I think a lot of people will end up using the Charge Station Pro as their home EVSE since it will come bundled with every ER F-150 Lightning, even if they don't have the need or capacity for 80A charging (or backup power).

hawkeye3point1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Space White ER RWD, Born on 12 Aug. '21
Country flag
There is a separate ā€œhome integration kitā€ that includes the inverter.
OK, so 80 amp capacity makes it a Pro EVSE and the integration kit acts as an inverter/transfer panel to prevent grid backfeed, like with a generator.
Thanks for the 411.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
this is a nice discussion and it's good that Ford is repeatedly accepting and answering questions on this.

or, given the Ford rep, should I say that it's "o'good"? ?
Sponsored