Extortion

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E: Premium, ER, RWD
Country flag
Welp, the day has come. I got a speeding ticket because I went through a speed trap while driving through rural Texas. In a span of seconds the speed limit goes from 75 to 55, but because the intelligent cruise control changes speed as soon as you pass the sign and because the deceleration of EV's are slower, I got caught going 10+ miles over the speed limit - as the officer was posted just a few yards ahead of the 55 MPH sign.

I know, it was my fault for not being attentive, but damn - I wish we had the option to choose whether we want the car to START going the posted speed as it passes the sign OR if we want the car to HIT the posted speed as soon as we pass it.

Thankfully I can do a Driver's Safety Course to take it off my record and pay less than the ticketed amount, but still. Leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. I didn't even want to bother explaining to the judge my scenario...

Anyone else go through this?
Sponsored

Av8tor

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, MME GTPE
Occupation
Systems Engineer IOT
Country flag
"Under certain conditions, the system may
not adjust the vehicle speed until after your
vehicle passes the speed limit."

I wonder what the certain conditions are?

Av8tor

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Hybrid, MME GTPE
Occupation
Systems Engineer IOT
Country flag
All of them.
Ha, yes, lets see the code :)
  • Traveling in left lane at 70, Can't see 55 sign on right because truck obscured view
  • Traveling at 70, can't see sign quick enough because of environment, rain, fog
  • How far out can the system see?
  • How does that distance / speed calculate into time for the car to react?
Some of this information might not come from Ford, but their OEM providing the camera analytics, does anyone know if this is Mobileye | Autonomous Driving & ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems)

Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 2021
Country flag
Hah, California has an anti speed trap law that prevents such tickets by small town sheriffs but it has other unintended consequences.

jrstinkfish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
Oof, I feel your pain -- I got a speeding ticket in rural TX going 75 in a 70 last year. This was right as the pandemic began, so when I tried to inquire about a court date or a defensive driving course, neither was available before my ticket payment was due. $200 lesson that in rural TX, you can't drive any faster than the posted speed limit because they are itching badly for that revenue. The cop that got me was coming the other direction, whipped her car around the road like she'd just seen #1 on the FBI's Most Wanted List driving my car, and chased me down ... for 5 miles over.

I've made that trip from TN to TX maybe 100 times, never got a ticket until that point, but then again that was my first time having to dip off of I-30 to those odd little high-speed country routes. Technically I was speeding, but come on, have a heart!

Mirak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Sonic" 2021 MME Grabber Blue First Edition
Country flag
“Intelligent” ACC isn’t good enough yet for me to us it. I turned it off.

DR.J56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-350. 2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
As I wait for mine to come in. I’m thinking to myself my RED MME is going to get me tickets again like when I did in my 20’s. I drive a white Explorer now and have caught myself 10 over passing by cops many times. They mostly could care less. When the MME comes I’ll get pulled over for 5 over? Wonderful!

Shayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME4x Prem
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
“Intelligent” ACC isn’t good enough yet for me to us it. I turned it off.
There was not enough control for me. I have different variances in different speed zone so I shut it off after trying it also. If there was a % variance instead of a constant mph number you could play with it a bit more. Adaptive cruise is great.

I know the dash speed does not change until you enter that zone which of course makes sense but it should see it and know it coming before?

BalsaDust

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Premium 4X, 2023 Leaf (wifes car)
Occupation
This, that, and everything
Country flag
Pretty sure the speed signs are GPS marked since in my Escape the navigation shows the speed limit as soon as I pass the sign. That said anyone wanting to try and fight a speeding ticket "Because the car did not react in time" will be futile, the judge will most likely also add an offense of "inattentive driving" to your speeding ticket. Don't think it would happen, well it did to me in a small Podunk town in PA. Whenever I use cruise control now I not only stick to the speed limit, I am very aware of upcoming speed limit signs.

Tony

blue92lx

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion
Country flag
Welp, the day has come. I got a speeding ticket because I went through a speed trap while driving through rural Texas. In a span of seconds the speed limit goes from 75 to 55, but because the intelligent cruise control changes speed as soon as you pass the sign and because the deceleration of EV's are slower, I got caught going 10+ miles over the speed limit - as the officer was posted just a few yards ahead of the 55 MPH sign.

I know, it was my fault for not being attentive, but damn - I wish we had the option to choose whether we want the car to START going the posted speed as it passes the sign OR if we want the car to HIT the posted speed as soon as we pass it.

Thankfully I can do a Driver's Safety Course to take it off my record and pay less than the ticketed amount, but still. Leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. I didn't even want to bother explaining to the judge my scenario...

Anyone else go through this?
That's just scandalous from the start anyway. So they're expecting people to slam on their brakes to slow down 20mph from full highway speeds as soon as they see the sign?

This type of stuff is why you just send the ticket to a ticket attorney and let them deal with it. Most of the time these days you end up paying the ticket but get no points on your license.

This one might even get tossed out, you were actually following the law and slowing down as you should be to meet the required speed limit. The cop has obviously positioned himself to catch people in the process of slowing down and not giving them enough time to do so. The whole thing is super shady.

Last edited:

abr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME FE RR, 2019 Fusion PHEV
Country flag
Pretty sure the speed signs are GPS marked since in my Escape the navigation shows the speed limit as soon as I pass the sign. That said anyone wanting to try and fight a speeding ticket "Because the car did not react in time" will be futile, the judge will most likely also add an offense of "inattentive driving" to your speeding ticket. Don't think it would happen, well it did to me in a small Podunk town in PA. Whenever I use cruise control now I not only stick to the speed limit, I am very aware of upcoming speed limit signs.

Tony
I don't think so . . .my car has slowed for temporary construction zone speed limits.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I don't think so . . .my car has slowed for temporary construction zone speed limits.
It appears, from my personal experience, that the Mach-E uses map data AND visual camera reading of signs. I believe that If there is a discrepancy between the two (construct speed limits being the most common) it follows the lower of the two. I believe this because there are several spots here in the metropolitan Detroit area where the speed limit is now posted at 70, but was only 65 maybe 8-10 years ago. My car will slow down in those areas to 65 even though it sees a sign that says 70.

I really wish these map companies would get their shit together. There are no 65 mph zones in Michigan anymore that I am aware of.
Sponsored