Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
A couple of us who have intelligent range enabled have noticed a bug with range numbers. I figured I would post it here even though I have also notified the EAP team of my findings so that others with the same issue have a place to talk about it.

What happens:

You charge to 100% - It has to be 100%
Range on the car shows a higher number
You drive 100 feet
Range drops by 30-50 miles
You continue your drive in disappointment

Note: This adjustment happens without in vehicle route planning. Additionally, the temperatures in my region are not fluctuating and no other environmental variables are shifting from day to day. Lastly, we have only seen this happen at 100% charge, all other charge numbers are unaffected.

Examples:

From my experience yesterday:
100 % = 247mi
99.9% = 217mi

From @benk016 experience today:
100% = 260
99.9% = 214

Ford Mustang Mach-E Intelligent Range - Range Bug 1656434045393

Ford Mustang Mach-E Intelligent Range - Range Bug 1656434000214

Last edited:

hbirring01

First Name
Harman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Genuine question here: Isnt that expected? My understanding of the intelligent range feature (In EAP but not intelligent range) is that it will correct your range based on climate control, topology of the route selected and maybe other features. Could it be possible that one of those features led to range decreasing?

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Genuine question here: Isnt that expected? My understanding of the intelligent range feature (In EAP but not intelligent range) is that it will correct your range based on climate control, topology of the route selected and maybe other features. Could it be possible that one of those features led to range decreasing?
Yes it does adjust range however this is without in vehicle route planning. I think there would be a ton of outcry if people look at FP and see they have 260 miles for a 230 mile trip only to loose 50 miles when starting up the car and driving down the driveway. That would throw a wrench in someones mental plotting of where to charge and how many times to stop.

Additionally, this doesn't happen at any charge level other than 100% that I've seen. So, if it's correctly estimating for 99%, 90%, 80% etc it should for 100% as well.

I've added that clarification to my post.

hbirring01

First Name
Harman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Yes it does adjust range however this is without in vehicle route planning. I think there would be a ton of outcry if people look at FP and see they have 260 miles for a 230 mile trip only to loose 50 miles when starting up the car and driving down the driveway. That would throw a wrench in someones mental plotting of where to charge and how many times to stop.
That is interesting. I thought the in vehicle gps was being used. A bug is a little more plausible now but, there could be other factors. As long as the engineers know im sure they will get to the bottom of it

MG101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
a car
Country flag
After I received the notification about intelligent range being enabled, it took a couple trips for it to adjust and when it did my range went down at least 60 miles. I wasn't at 100% when that happened. Right now I'm at 85% 124 miles. That projects out to 147. Not even close to an average 3.3 m/kwh on a standard range battery.

Which display should I believe?

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
After I received the notification about intelligent range being enabled, it took a couple trips for it to adjust and when it did my range went down at least 60 miles. I wasn't at 100% when that happened. Right now I'm at 85% 124 miles. That projects out to 147. Not even close to an average 3.3 m/kwh on a standard range battery.

Which display should I believe?
Range adjusting, in general, is what intelligent range is supposed to do. What I'm describing is obviously a bug where you lose those miles on the display in a matter of feet. The car actually drops 10s of miles in front of your eyes.

Intelligent range should adjust depending on the driving destination, weather, historical information, climate control etc. Sometimes that will be up, other times it will be down.

notaek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I had something simliar happen to me just now. It's not just charging to 100%.

I only charged mine to 90% last night, got in this morning, backed out my driveway and it dropped 30 miles.

90% = 253 miles
89.9% = 223 miles

Didn't screenshot until after my errands - but I drove 13 miles as you can see on odometer.

IMG_3689.jpg

IMG_3690.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
I had something simliar happen to me just now. It's not just charging to 100%.

I only charged mine to 90% last night, got in this morning, backed out my driveway and it dropped 30 miles.

90% = 253 miles
89.9% = 223 miles
Interesting. I'll have to see if I can get others to confirm that as well. My 90% charging today didn't do that and previous 90%'s didn't either.

notaek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Interesting. I'll have to see if I can get others to confirm that as well. My 90% charging today didn't do that and previous 90%'s didn't either.
I had the initial 50 mile drop too in the beginning. This is only the second time I've noticed a drop since it was enabled.

Adding pictues to previous post.

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Yesterday after I got the 2nd GWM OTA update, my car finally adjusted its range with Intelligent Range. This is the first time I've gotten an adjustment since they supposedly enabled it. I got the popup that range was adjusted due to temperatures. I went from 201 at 90% to 247. It also decided to charge to 100% out of nowhere and at 100% I was at 264.

Today I got in the car and as soon as I put the car in reverse to pull out of the garage, my range dropped to 214 with no popup for range adjustment.

Before I had reached out to the early access team since I hadn't gotten any changes at all, and they said the IR calculation and the in-car was close enough that it wasn't enough to adjust the range. I'm not sure if that was actually the case or if this OTA finally triggered the feature to actually work.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Which number is closer to what you are experiencing as an average mi/kWh - the 100% or the 99.9%? If it is the 100% then does the range start to increase after that initial drop as you drive or does the initial loss remain and range decreases from that new milage? Just a curiosity.

OP
OP
DevSecOps

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Which number is closer to what you are experiencing as an average mi/kWh - the 100% or the 99.9%? If it is the 100% then does the range start to increase after that initial drop as you drive or does the initial loss remain and range decreases from that new milage? Just a curiosity.
I don't know. I haven't driven enough to validate that. My 100% charge was because I was going to go south on work, but it was cancelled so I never got to see what the actual range came out to be.

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I don't know. I haven't driven enough to validate that. My 100% charge was because I was going to go south on work, but it was cancelled so I never got to see what the actual range came out to be.
Thanks - was wondering if the intelligent range had a glitch that has it act to quickly to adjust range and then would correct as the vehicle was operated.

MG101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
a car
Country flag
Range adjusting, in general, is what intelligent range is supposed to do. What I'm describing is obviously a bug where you lose those miles on the display in a matter of feet. The car actually drops 10s of miles in front of your eyes.

Intelligent range should adjust depending on the driving destination, weather, historical information, climate control etc. Sometimes that will be up, other times it will be down.
I understand all of that.

The problem I have is estimatied range and consumption (current and historical) don't jibe. Any trip I take I'm easly over 3.0 m/kwh according to the center display meanwhile calculated range is telling me I should expect 2.1 m/kwh. I've only seen that number on below freezing days. Its 80 out.

I have a 140ish mile round trip to make that I've made easily in the past. Now the car is now saying maybe I won't.

Again. So what gauge do I believe?

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I don't have this feature yet but this definitely doesn't sound right. On the other hand, fleshing this kind of thing is why EAP exists. So, thanks for taking the hit here, no range pun intended.
Sponsored